how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« Anyone wanting this...
This is a sub-selection from Give them the choice

reply to ET TU

Re: Give them the choice

The problem is the recent rash of state laws barring municipal networks from being initiated. With these laws, any ultimatum on broadband is ultimately not possible. The telcos can afford to fight the "problem" at the legislative level and therefore, don't even have to listen to ultimatums. People in rural areas need to get to their statehouse and call up legislators, not just their own, but ALL of them. Its no skin off of the back of a congressman from Worchester, MA if someone near Leverett can't get broadband internet service. Because the majority of Massachusetts is urban and because the majority of state reps are from urban areas, they will feel no sympathy for rural residents in search of broadband UNLESS you call and talk to them directly, regardless of if you have the power to deseat them. Politicians will listen if you talk to them one on one, even its simply to get you out of their hair and out of publicly ruining their campaign plans. I sure hope the McCain-Lautenberg bill passes. If this is a problem in Massachusetts, one of the most densely populated states, imagine what the problem is like for those in the Midwest. Anecdotal evidence will not pass here. You may live in a rural area and have broadband, but most in America who live there, don't. Its just like electricity 100 years ago.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
Trust me Massachusetts in PARTS are densley populated, but not there...I grew up in Mass and that doesn't surprise me. My sister, who is not to far from a very decent sized city in central Mass cant even get broadband...

I'm from Massachusetts originally, Northampton actually, which is a neighbor of Shutesberry. It is rural, I am not saying its not there, however, most of Massachusetts is quite dense, especially compared to the rest of the country. In southern New Mexico, for example, you can drive two hundred miles from the Roswell/Carlsbad "city" area before hitting a real city. Now, if cities just outside of the largest university in the state are having trouble getting broadband because its too "rural" imagine what the vast majority of the midwest is dealing with.

Wireless Major

@adelphia.net
I used to live in New Mexico, is the biggest "real" city there was (Albuquerque) and I know exacty what you're talking about. But, its the desert, clear skies, etc. Would be the perfect place to deploy wireless.