cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

cork1958

Premium Member

back to the 3/256

Well, after a week or so of playing with the new 5/512 and then receiving my pro-rated bill yesterday, I called Charter and had them drop me back down to the 3/256 speed. The 5/512 was not that impressive. All web pages seemed to take a few seconds just to start downloading and a lot of times it seemed as if they weren't going to finish. Pings were usually in the 70's compared to 40's-50's on the 3/256 plan. Now, once again, all pages are loading instantly and completely download without stalling. Did like the slightly faster upload, but I guess I don't do enough of that to warrant paying an extra $20 a month. After all, I'm NOT trying to my best to make Paul Allen THE richest man in the world all on my own!!
jmcgeejr
join:2000-05-15
Kirkland, WA

jmcgeejr

good for you corky No one should of ordered the new 5/512 package anywhere the thought that we have to pay for internet speeds that other cable comp's are already offering at lower prices.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958

Premium Member

said by jmcgeejr:

good for you corky No one should of ordered the new 5/512 package anywhere the thought that we have to pay for internet speeds that other cable comp's are already offering at lower prices.
Please, no corky!!

Sorry, but I'm just a cheapskate. Wasn't that impressed with the speed package anyway. I've said it before and I'll say it again. NO internet service should cost more than $40 a month and that is still to high if you ask me.
jmcgeejr
Kirkland, WA

jmcgeejr

lol sorry cork...I agree no internet over 40 (well except for FIOS) id pay the 44.95 for 15/2 easily. Thats why im giving my local LEC a try for DSL they are now offering 1.5/512 for 29.99 till 2006 and ten its 39.99 i am paying charter 52.99 cause I wont pay for thier TV service it blows. I want more upload cause i use VOIP for work alot.

Varlik
Without Honor You Will Never Be Free
Premium Member
join:2002-01-06
Anderson, SC

4 edits

Varlik to cork1958

Premium Member

to cork1958
Where all cheapskates at heart Cork. And I have to agree with what jmcgeejr See Profile said. Although I felt differently half a year ago heck even three an a half months ago.
said by cork1958:

Please, no corky!!
Careful remember that's how nicknames get started. Folks find out the one name that you don't like being called that really annoys you to death.;):D

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958

Premium Member

Well, my REAL nickname is Cork. Way more people know me by that than my real name even. Corky is just one of those names that your Grandma calls you all you life.

And she did!!

tomatoe
Premium Member
join:2002-08-03
Kansas City, MO

tomatoe

Premium Member

said by cork1958:

Well, my REAL nickname is Cork.
Don't worry Corky, "Life Goes On".
(What a great show that use to be)

jmcgeejr
Kirkland, WA

jmcgeejr

man cork im soo soorry i started this....

BECCA!!

Curado Kev6
Premium Member
join:2003-12-17
Portage, MI

Curado Kev6 to cork1958

Premium Member

to cork1958
EXACTLY what I'm going to do tommorrow and for same reasons.

I found same thing I swithced up to 5/512 last week and for big file downloads not that much of a difference. Most servers can't put it out the data that fast anyways.

For gaming, my pings on CSS and BF2 are same if not faster at 3MB/256.

Way too much of price increase when compared to other plans. Also, I haven't tols my wife so I thought I'd switch back before bills comes

Ckev
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to cork1958

to cork1958
said by cork1958:

but I guess I don't do enough of that to warrant paying an extra $20 a month.
I thought it was $10 a month extra?
Kenrin
join:2004-05-13
Lincolnton, NC

Kenrin

no servers can't put out the data fast enough? are you kidding?....

i'd love to have the 5 meg plan where i live. and higher bandwidth *does not* mean lower latency, you could have the same pings in games on the 384 plan as the 5 meg plan.

but if you download alot like me the extra speed is very useful =/

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958

Premium Member

Life Goes On was a good show.

The person said "most" servers. Not all. Which may still be stating that a little strong as to how many servers can crank out that type speed.

I was originally told $10 increase. After getting bill though, even a pro-rated one, the internet portion was $62 and change compared to $42.99. That's close enough to call it $20 for me!!

Curado Kev6
Premium Member
join:2003-12-17
Portage, MI

Curado Kev6 to cork1958

Premium Member

to cork1958
Mine bill went from $86 to
$102. So $16 increase because of "taxes"

As far as extra speed, if I had a unlimited newsgroup account sure it would be nice. But I run EMule, so sure I could get a little more speed with 512 upload. But in the end, not a big deal.

It's absolutely ridiculous, that we can't get 5/512 for same price as 3mb. But oh well...

I also agree with your points on latency ..

Ckev
Curado Kev6

Curado Kev6 to cork1958

Premium Member

to cork1958
I just saw on Comcast forum ,where they are getting 6MB for $42 / month.

I imagine Charter will give us 5MB/512 for $42 within a year. But I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it

Ckev
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by Curado Kev6:

I just saw on Comcast forum ,where they are getting 6MB for $42 / month.

I imagine Charter will give us 5MB/512 for $42 within a year. But I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it

Ckev
Yep Comcast is upping their speed AGAIN.

From an article

Comcast has increased speeds on its network three times since October 2003.

Charter hasn't increased speed in my area ONCE since October 2003.

Almost EVERY cable company( save Charter ) is upping speeds. And don't say Charter is because until it happens in MY area it means NOTHING. And if any person working for Charter can give me a time table for my area then I'll retract my statement. The local office didn't even know Charter was upping speeds ANYWHERE so they are useless. Heck I've been wanting a 2nd digital box from them for almost a month now. They said MAYBE by the 1st of August.

By the fall for $3 more than what I'm paying for 3 Mbps from Charter people 10 miles away will be getting 6 Mbps from Comcast. sigh.

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
join:1999-12-29
InnerSanctum

nozero

MVM,

In my area (76018), the 6 Mbps/768 Kbps package from Comcast costs you an extra $10.00 per month.

From their web:

"First, there's our high-velocity 4 Mbps/384 Kbps connection, which makes exploring the Internet quick, easy and affordable. Download files in seconds flat, and send files and photos lickety-split.

Or, for just $10 more per month, you can enjoy our top-speed connection, 6 Mbps/768 Kbps, and enjoy download speeds up to 70 times faster than 56K dial-up and five times as fast as 768K DSL. It's so unbelievably fast, you'll wonder how you ever surfed the Web without it."

I've not opted for this.
RiftReaper
join:2002-02-21
Vancouver, WA

RiftReaper

they have a 8mb package too........

If you currently subscribe to at least Comcast Expanded Basic Cable TV service or above, the following HSI options are available to you:

Down Up

(Mbps) (kbps) Price

6 384 $42.95

8 768 $52.95

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
InnerSanctum

nozero

MVM,

Not in my zip code...
RiftReaper
join:2002-02-21
Vancouver, WA

RiftReaper

im sure it will get there soon enough

detfan
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Livonia, MI

detfan to cork1958

Premium Member

to cork1958
At least you guys get a web site that tells you something.

jarablue
Always be true to yourself
join:2001-06-11
Worcester, MA

jarablue

Oh Charter will upgrade us. About the same time everyone left that speed in the dust.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to nozero

to nozero
said by nozero:

In my area (76018), the 6 Mbps/768 Kbps package from Comcast costs you an extra $10.00 per month.

From their web:

"First, there's our high-velocity 4 Mbps/384 Kbps connection, which makes exploring the Internet quick, easy and affordable. Download files in seconds flat, and send files and photos lickety-split.

Or, for just $10 more per month, you can enjoy our top-speed connection, 6 Mbps/768 Kbps, and enjoy download speeds up to 70 times faster than 56K dial-up and five times as fast as 768K DSL. It's so unbelievably fast, you'll wonder how you ever surfed the Web without it."

I've not opted for this.
The 6 meg/8 meg tier is only in a few areas everyone else will be upgraded by the fall acording the the article I read. Prices are remaiining the same.
majorash
join:2004-06-21
Beaver Dam, WI

majorash to cork1958

to cork1958
Charter is doing nothing to provide better service. And frankly why would they want to. In most areas they don't have any competition.
DSL just came to my area just a few months ago. And as soon as I found out that they afford 3mb\768 for only $29.99 a month. I canceled pipeline and got DSL. That little extra speed that they offer ins't worth $10 more a month.
If my landlord would allow the tenants to put up dishes I would cancel their TV service to. They keep raising their prices, but never realy give you that much in return.

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
InnerSanctum

nozero to 88615298

MVM,

to 88615298
Yes, a quick check on google confirms.
»www.google.com/search?q= ··· Mbps+%3f
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by nozero:

Yes, a quick check on google confirms.
»www.google.com/search?q= ··· Mbps+%3f
Of course it does.

88615298 (banned) to majorash

to majorash
said by majorash:

Charter is doing nothing to provide better service. And frankly why would they want to. In most areas they don't have any competition.
Well BellSouth finally woke up and will be offering 6 meg before the end of the year. As I said if Charter hasn't upgraded to 5 meg by then I'm going with BellSouth.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958 to majorash

Premium Member

to majorash
said by majorash:

DSL just came to my area just a few months ago. And as soon as I found out that they afford 3mb\768 for only $29.99 a month. I canceled pipeline and got DSL. That little extra speed that they offer ins't worth $10 more a month.
If my landlord would allow the tenants to put up dishes I would cancel their TV service to. They keep raising their prices, but never realy give you that much in return.
Yeah, I tried that Verizon 3/768 deal a couple months ago. Only 6,400 ft. from the CO and ATM and the best Verizon could do for me was 768/128!! None of the dozen times that I called to find out why I couldn't get better than that, could I get any kind of reasonable answer.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium Member
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC

1 edit

DaMaGeINC to Curado Kev6

Premium Member

to Curado Kev6
I do see how you people compare pings to speeds. The speed of your connection has nothing to do what-so-ever with how low your ping is.