Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale

Premium Member

Mustard on Burgers

I have always wondered why restaurants in the New York area (parts of NY, NJ & CT) don't put mustard on their burgers. I noticed if you go a half hour or so into Connecticut all of a sudden you have mustard on your burgers. This is not only at fast food places but also nicer restaurants or diners.

I wonder why the NY area is so anti-mustard when it comes to burgers.

-Tzale

drake
Back to back
MVM
join:2002-06-10
Bridgeport, CT

drake

MVM

Well I know, I, for one, hate mustard, overall. But if I had to have it.. it would be on a frank. I can't see me eating it on a burger.

This is me - not sure how other New Yorker's feel about the issue.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
Ketchup is probably used more in New York than anywhere else in the world. I think its a Jewish thing.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane to Tzale

Numquam oblita

to Tzale
They did that all over California too, automatically...even fast food places

I used to think it strange for mustard to come on a burger, but it's actually pretty good...

irontoes
join:2000-03-18
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

irontoes to Tzale

to Tzale
I moved to AZ and run into this problem a lot. I like mustard, but not on a hamburger.

At least it discourages me from eating at fast food places. If you attempt to make a change you almost guarantee your order will be messed up.

golden eagle
Aquila chrysaetos
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
On a cliff

1 recommendation

golden eagle to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
said by Tzale:

I wonder why the NY area is so anti-mustard when it comes to burgers.

-Tzale
Plain and simple ... mustard does NOT belong on a burger.

drake
Back to back
MVM
Bridgeport, CT

drake

MVM

said by golden eagle:

Plain and simple ... mustard does NOT belong on a burger.
But then again.. being "creative" is not being limited to just mustard on burgers. I'm sure our fellow NY'ers have found (odd) ways to make their burgers tasty. I think I stick to BBQ sauce and ketchup on my burger (not combined!).

The Dv8or
Premium Member
Denver, CO

The Dv8or to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
Teriyaki works well too. I love teriyaki sauce--I just put it all over my salad.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger to Tzale

Mod

to Tzale
Mustard on a burger just eems a bit odd to me. I'm happy they don't put it on burgers here because I think that'd just taste weird. Don't get me wrong...I'm a fan of mustard, but only on hot dogs and cold cuts.

The Dv8or
Premium Member
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or

Premium Member

said by Straphanger:

Mustard on a burger just eems a bit odd to me. I'm happy they don't put it on burgers here because I think that'd just taste weird. Don't get me wrong...I'm a fan of mustard, but only on hot dogs and cold cuts.
And pretzels.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger

Mod

Ah yes...that too. I just haven't had them in nearly a year.

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium Member
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY

1 recommendation

PCInTech to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
Having grown up in NYC and New Haven, CT, I found mustard (or, "Moose Turd", as I called it...) to be totally foreign on burgers, but required on Hot Dogs. I suppose it's a regional thing?

MsTerra
Mouthy Broad
Premium Member
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana

MsTerra to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
Well, they always put mustard on fast-food burgers. Isn't that a sort of standard? I don't understand why y'all think mustard "doesn't belong" on a burger. If I were still eating burgers, my preference would be for a cheeseburger with mustard, pickles, and a little ketchup (too much=too sweet.) Mustard is great. You guys are weird.

drake
Back to back
MVM
Bridgeport, CT

drake

MVM

said by MsTerra:

Well, they always put mustard on fast-food burgers.
What fast-food burger joints do you know of that puts mustard on burgers?

The Dv8or
Premium Member
Denver, CO

The Dv8or to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
Outside of NY, McDonald's does.

MsTerra
Mouthy Broad
Premium Member
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana

MsTerra

Premium Member

They don't do that in NY? Man, the things you miss when you become a vegetarian. I don't know why, but I would have expected New Yorkers to be really into mustard. This is fascinating.

Tzale
Premium Member
NYC Metro

Tzale to drake

Premium Member

to drake
said by drake:
said by MsTerra:

Well, they always put mustard on fast-food burgers.
What fast-food burger joints do you know of that puts mustard on burgers?
McDonalds, Burger King are the two I can confirm.... I hear they do it all over the United States, just not here in the New York area. They put Mustard and Ketchup, cheese, pickles etc. I actually like it, and I thought it would be gross. After I realized I had mustard on it I freaked out. Then I had a burger in two other places across the East Coast and realized that even in family owned diners they were doing it. I NEVER had a burger anywhere in the New York area with mustard on it. Fast food, diners, restaurants, never....

-Tzale

Optimized
MVM,
join:2001-05-03
Ringwood, NJ

Optimized to Tzale

MVM,

to Tzale
The few times I have had mustard and ketchup on a burger it has been quite tasty. I do normally just use ketchup on my burgers at BBQ's and such.

Hot Dogs usually get the mustard and relish.

PCInTech
Premium Member
Massena, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

PCInTech to MsTerra

Premium Member

to MsTerra
McD, Burger Thing, etc, put mustard standard on burgers. No local places will. It's wierd.

Anybody want an actual REAL HISTORIC burger? Get on up to New Haven, where the very first "hamburg" sandwich in the US was ever served, the place where it was invented. Louis Lunch. Amazing. Do NOT ASK for any kind of toppings, they will beat you up in the alley and feed you to the fishes. If you're a "hamburger" fan... you'll DIE... I promise.

»www.louislunch.com/

richk_1957
If ..Then..Else
Premium Member
join:2001-04-11
Minas Tirith

richk_1957 to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
Years ago, while going through Connecticut & went to McDonalds and got a hamburger and asked for ketchup, not mustard. The reaction I got from the person behind the counter was 'Ohhhh, how gross' I said I preferred ketchup. I got the burger - with mustard. I had to go back twice before they gave me one with ketchup. I guess it's what you're used to having. My preferences are:
Hamburger - Ketchup & pickles
Hot Dog - Mustard & Relish (and maybe sauerkraut)
Gyro - tahini & hot sauce
Falafel - tahini sauce
kielbasa - mustard & ketchup mix

So you see, I'm not totally against mustard.

PCInTech
Premium Member
Massena, NY

1 edit

PCInTech

Premium Member

said by richk_1957:

Years ago, while going through Connecticut & went to McDonalds and got a hamburger and asked for ketchup, not mustard. The reaction I got from the
you were in McD... not a burger joint.
Standard formula Nationwide, maybe Worldwide... standard burger has 50/50 mustard and ketchup, unless you specify otherwise.

Tzale
Premium Member
NYC Metro

Tzale to richk_1957

Premium Member

to richk_1957
said by richk_1957:

Years ago, while going through Connecticut & went to McDonalds and got a hamburger and asked for ketchup, not mustard. The reaction I got from the person behind the counter was 'Ohhhh, how gross' I said I preferred ketchup. I got the burger - with mustard. I had to go back twice before they gave me one with ketchup. I guess it's what you're used to having. My preferences are:
Hamburger - Ketchup & pickles
Hot Dog - Mustard & Relish (and maybe sauerkraut)
Gyro - tahini & hot sauce
Falafel - tahini sauce
kielbasa - mustard & ketchup mix

So you see, I'm not totally against mustard.
Mustard & Ketchup on Kielbasa? I like Sauerkraut and horseradish. I guess that is just because I'm Polish, lol. Hot Dogs and Hamburgers are good with what you said, but I can also use Ketchup with them. Sometimes I like hot dogs with just ketchup or Kosciuszko Polish Beer Mustard (LOVE IT).

-Tzale

richk_1957
If ..Then..Else
Premium Member
join:2001-04-11
Minas Tirith

richk_1957

Premium Member

said by Tzale:

Kosciuszko Polish Beer Mustard (LOVE IT).
YEAH, Right On, love it also:)
richk_1957

richk_1957 to PCInTech

Premium Member

to PCInTech
said by PCInTech:

Standard formula Nationwide, maybe Worldwide... standard burger has 50/50 mustard and ketchup, unless you specify otherwise.
Well, maybe, but the reaction ('Ohhhh, how gross') was totally uncalled for. And the burgers that came with mustard, didn't have 50/50, they just had a lot of mustard, as if I had specified mustard only. And the thing is, McD's or no, I had specified, ketchup only - and didn't get what I asked for.

MrsFixitSC
IvVe Got A License To Chill
Premium Member
join:2001-12-09
Moncks Corner, SC

1 recommendation

MrsFixitSC to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
"I like mine with lettuce and tomato
Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes
Big Kosher pickle and a cold draft beer"

---Jimmy Buffett, Cheeseburger in Paradise

DC Broadband
Stercus Tauri
Premium Member
join:2003-04-17
Stone Ridge, NY

DC Broadband to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
You guys are forgetting about Mayo on your burgers too!

Although when I go out to a diner or burger joint I usually only use ketchup, when I BBQ at home my burgers get ketchup, mustard, and mayo. Sometimes I substitute the ketchup for chili sauce though.

Tzale
Premium Member
NYC Metro

Tzale

Premium Member

said by DC Broadband:

You guys are forgetting about Mayo on your burgers too!

Although when I go out to a diner or burger joint I usually only use ketchup, when I BBQ at home my burgers get ketchup, mustard, and mayo. Sometimes I substitute the ketchup for chili sauce though.
I actually like them with that. Toasted white bread, cheeseburger and mayo. It's nothing special, just a basic cheeseburger with a "little" twist. I call it a California burger (someone told me that when I was younger and it stuck).

-Tzale

golden eagle
Aquila chrysaetos
Premium Member
On a cliff

1 edit

golden eagle to richk_1957

Premium Member

to richk_1957
said by richk_1957:

Hamburger - Ketchup & pickles ...
Come to think of it pickles don't belong on a burger either - on the side yes - in it - no way.

The Dv8or
Premium Member
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or

Premium Member

said by golden eagle:
said by richk_1957:

Hamburger - Ketchup & pickles ...
Come to thing of it pickles don't belong on a burger either - on the side yes - in it - no way.
The hell they dont! Pickles on burgers RAWK!!!

golden eagle
Aquila chrysaetos
Premium Member
On a cliff

golden eagle

Premium Member

RAWK? Yeah that's sort of the sound that comes out of my mouth, yuck.