spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000

Pathetic NNTP header retrieval speeds.

This started last night, and it is continuing today.

When getting headers from any group, the speeds are barely at 1K/sec. Most of the time it is .2K/sec.

And since it appears that Ross left Charter, we don't have anyone to complain to.

The e-mail address he had us use for these issues bounces.

This isn't a newsreader or OS issue either, I tried both linux & windows News readers. My connection is fine, trace to the NEWS server is OK, 80ms, pings are about the same.
rikuth
join:2005-05-19
Louisville, KY

rikuth

Charter new service is outsourced to a company called highwinds, our direct support only includes being able to connect/read/post. as for the speeds it would be best to contact highwinds directly. Phone support can be reached at (866) 668-7119, or their homepage is available here »www.highwinds-media.com/ ··· ndex.asp

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
join:1999-12-29
InnerSanctum

nozero

MVM,

Is that nationwide? If so, I'll add that info to the FAQ.
rikuth
Louisville, KY

rikuth to Zappa2000

to Zappa2000
yes that is nation wide

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
join:1999-12-29
InnerSanctum

nozero

MVM,

Thank you!
» Charter Forum FAQ »Charter's news service is outsourced...
dm33186
join:2002-06-24
Janesville, WI

dm33186 to Zappa2000

to Zappa2000
Headers? i wish i had header problems, my transfers of files are only going at 1K/sec per thread
Zappa2000
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000 to rikuth

to rikuth
said by rikuth:

Charter new service is outsourced to a company called highwinds, our direct support only includes being able to connect/read/post. as for the speeds it would be best to contact highwinds directly. Phone support can be reached at (866) 668-7119, or their homepage is available here »www.highwinds-media.com/ ··· ndex.asp
What about the e-mail account that Ross told us to use to report issues? Since he is gone(?) that account bounces to his e-mail address which bounces back.

chaud
Serious Business
join:2004-07-09
Huntsville, AL

chaud to dm33186

to dm33186
How is it today?
I can't even connect.
rikuth
Louisville, KY

rikuth to Zappa2000

to Zappa2000
I am not aware of any email address used for specifically for newsgroup issues. My guess would be that it was something used before the outsourceing to highwinds, which took place when the server addresss chaged from new.charter.net to nntp.charter.net on 11/18/04
cblemn4nver
join:2004-01-01

cblemn4nver to Zappa2000

to Zappa2000
Speeds were crap last night here too. Back to normal tonight. I just wish they would filter all this SPORGE crap coming in!
Zappa2000
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000 to rikuth

to rikuth
said by rikuth:

I am not aware of any email address used for specifically for newsgroup issues. My guess would be that it was something used before the outsourceing to highwinds, which took place when the server addresss chaged from new.charter.net to nntp.charter.net on 11/18/04
It was with highwinds..since that is when we had some big problems in the first few months or so, and Ross came in and helped out with all the issues with them.

Here is a snippet of the e-mail from Ross..

We believe we have found the problem and that it is now solved, please let me know if there are any more problems. Please send emails to newssupport@chartercom.com from now on which goes o a distribution list of people now

That is the one that bounces when I tried to report problems.
Zappa2000

Zappa2000

Ugh, it started again. Less than 1K sec headers & trying to pull down anything.
mr sprinkles
join:2002-12-11

mr sprinkles to Zappa2000

to Zappa2000
has anyone gotten any answers yet? from either party?
Zappa2000
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000

Nope... I sent multiple e-mails to Charter support & highwind, but I am pretty sure highwind is ignoring us, in the form they ask for login info which I assume has to be Charter's, but dunno, so left it blank.

Actually, they are both ignoring us it seems. No response from either.

It is barely any better, getting from .3K/sec - 4.9K/sec on header retrieval. Still pathetic, those are below dialup speeds.

I haven't even bothered to pull down actual articles, since the headers take days to update.
justlooking
join:2003-06-10

justlooking to Zappa2000

to Zappa2000
You guys have no choice but to use nzb files. Then you won't need to get headers.
Zappa2000
Kalamazoo, MI

1 edit

Zappa2000

said by justlooking:

You guys have no choice but to use nzb files. Then you won't need to get headers.
Your assuming we want binaries... which isn't always the case.
But, if you want binaries, then yes, nzb will work for the most part.

*edit
I just tested getting some binaries, and it is going @ 1.5K/sec with 1 connection, and 3K/sec with 2.

So even if you did have nzb files, there are still major issues @ highwind.