Search similar:

uniqs

npln
Us Army
join:2000-07-17
Martinez, CA

npln

most people do not need it

I see it mostly like a luxury, the world was doing fine before it!!! I have it....barely ever use it!!!

Utility not really.......

A Right......you are kidding right?
Conk2k9
join:2005-04-15
Riverside, CA

Conk2k9

If you go to school and everything and practically live off it then it is a utility.

I vote for utility. It use to be a luxury but now everything practically requires the internet. Dialup is way to slow for anything now except email. We are in the information age so it is a utility in this day'n age.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2 to npln

Premium Member

to npln
said by npln:

I see it mostly like a luxury, the world was doing fine before it!!! I have it....barely ever use it!!!

Utility not really.......

A Right......you are kidding right?
Many years ago...

People did just fine without PHONES....

People did just fine without ELECTRICTY....

People did just fine without MEDICINE...

Broadband opens up access to information to the masses, and that is a right, it should be treated like a utility, you might be able to argue that at some point, the AMOUNT of bandwidth could be considered a luxury, but it would IMHO be a weak argument...

DHRacer
Tech Monkey
join:2000-10-10
Lake Arrowhead, CA

DHRacer

oh, you mean the DARK AGES?

Bubonic Plague and all that? People didn't look like they were doing too fine then.

Sure but the life expectancy was you were lucky to get to 50.

Of course working your ass off in a field for your king probably meant that obesity wasn't a big deal at the time.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

said by DHRacer:

oh, you mean the DARK AGES?

Bubonic Plague and all that? People didn't look like they were doing too fine then.

Sure but the life expectancy was you were lucky to get to 50.

Of course working your ass off in a field for your king probably meant that obesity wasn't a big deal at the time.
I think you missed my point...

People did "fine" without those things, but now they are NOT luxuries, they are necessities, and so too is broadband, though still climbing, it can no longer be considered a luxury, and is now almost required to survive in todays society...

AreSee
join:2000-09-20
Atlanta, GA

AreSee

quote:
it can no longer be considered a luxury, and is now almost required to survive in todays society...
Maybe if you're a 14 year old with no girlfriend. For the rest of us, BB is most certainly a luxury if for no other reason that the fact that you can get the same information with a dial up connection.

Here's an analogy and you tell me if it fits:
When I go to work I drive my car, but I could just as well take the bus. Car = luxury, bus = utility.

Boogeyman
Drive it like you stole it
Premium Member
join:2002-12-17
Wasilla, AK

Boogeyman

Premium Member

I couldnt take the bus, it only runs from 8am till 9pm here, and I usually have to be to work by 6am, and the last bus to leave the store I work at doesnt go anywhere near my house, or even the town I live in. Good analogy for some major cities though, it just doesnt apply everywhere.

Evergreener
Sent By Grocery Clerks
join:2001-02-20
Evergreen, CO

Evergreener to AreSee

to AreSee
There is no bus service where I live.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

1 edit

JRW2 to AreSee

Premium Member

to AreSee
said by AreSee:

quote:
it can no longer be considered a luxury, and is now almost required to survive in todays society...
Maybe if you're a 14 year old with no girlfriend. For the rest of us, BB is most certainly a luxury if for no other reason that the fact that you can get the same information with a dial up connection.

Here's an analogy and you tell me if it fits:
When I go to work I drive my car, but I could just as well take the bus. Car = luxury, bus = utility.
No it does not, a better analogy might be public education, before it became a "right", only the very rich could afford for their children to go to school. Most working class families & poor families need their children to work to survive. I know all about the child labor laws, I am not getting into that...

Education for my child (then) == Luxury

Education for my child (Now) == Right

Times change, and now broadband is not only a necessity, it is a right that everyone is entitled access to, it should be considered a utility that we can CHOOSE not to have...

AreSee
join:2000-09-20
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

AreSee to npln

to npln
quote:
Times change, and now broadband is not only a necessity, it is a right that everyone is entitled access to, it should be considered a utility that we can CHOOSE not to have...
Internet access sure; BB no. Again, you can get the same information from narrowband that you can with BB. The ONLY difference is that it just takes a little longer.