uniqs
share rss forum feed

AreSee

join:2000-09-20
Atlanta, GA
reply to JRW2

Re: most people do not need it

quote:
it can no longer be considered a luxury, and is now almost required to survive in todays society...
Maybe if you're a 14 year old with no girlfriend. For the rest of us, BB is most certainly a luxury if for no other reason that the fact that you can get the same information with a dial up connection.

Here's an analogy and you tell me if it fits:
When I go to work I drive my car, but I could just as well take the bus. Car = luxury, bus = utility.
--
Formerly DSLWho

Boogeyman
Drive it like you stole it
Premium
join:2002-12-17
Seward, AK

I couldnt take the bus, it only runs from 8am till 9pm here, and I usually have to be to work by 6am, and the last bus to leave the store I work at doesnt go anywhere near my house, or even the town I live in. Good analogy for some major cities though, it just doesnt apply everywhere.
--
"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something they made up to scare kids, like the Boogeyman or Michael Jackson." - Bart Simpson

Topmounter
Sent By Grocery Clerks

join:2001-02-20
Evergreen, CO
reply to AreSee

There is no bus service where I live.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to AreSee

said by AreSee:

quote:
it can no longer be considered a luxury, and is now almost required to survive in todays society...
Maybe if you're a 14 year old with no girlfriend. For the rest of us, BB is most certainly a luxury if for no other reason that the fact that you can get the same information with a dial up connection.

Here's an analogy and you tell me if it fits:
When I go to work I drive my car, but I could just as well take the bus. Car = luxury, bus = utility.
No it does not, a better analogy might be public education, before it became a "right", only the very rich could afford for their children to go to school. Most working class families & poor families need their children to work to survive. I know all about the child labor laws, I am not getting into that...

Education for my child (then) == Luxury

Education for my child (Now) == Right

Times change, and now broadband is not only a necessity, it is a right that everyone is entitled access to, it should be considered a utility that we can CHOOSE not to have...