share rss forum feed

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to wifi rocks

Re: I say it's an OPTION.

I can't say that I agree with your thinking.

Let's take your theory.

#1, you CAN interact with your Govt' - go to a library and it's free. Also, you can interact with your gov using a dial up connection - found as cheap as $6.95 a month.

We aren't talking about access to the internet in general, we are talking about speed.

With this, not everyone has a washer and dryer in their home. What do they have to do? Leave the home, go to a laundermat and wash there. Should people have the "right" to a washer and dryer in every home? This is the same theory as people having to go to a library to use the the internet for faster speeds. Again, no one is totally cut off, rather, they may not be able to afford the luxury of having it in their home - what's the alternative? Go to the library where it's free.

There are also cafe's where you can use the internet or Kinkos for about what, $5 an hour or so? How long do you really need to be online with the govt sites anyway?

I can pretty much get everything I need done on the internet, truly, in under an hour... and I do alot. People live on the internet more than they really "need" to with the exception of work, which is a whole different story here.

And sorry, I don't subscribe to the so-called "digital divide"... I think to lump computers into a category 'just because' is meaningless. This is more of a social or class divide. Even lower class, lower earner families have computers. There are many places where you can get a computer for $300.00 complete - and a good one too! So, when these lower income families are putting on $145 nikes on their feet, don't tell me they can't afford a computer.

(On another note? in the 12 years I have been in cable tv, I have gone into MANY lower income homes / projects and installed serivices with bills of $130+ a month. It's all about personal choice and where you want to spend your money) We don't live in a country where we all have the "right" to have everything. Sorry,.. just my opinion (and some fact)