Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to d_man60112

Premium Member

to d_man60112

Re: Another BBR attempt to justify music pirating

Are you purposely overlooking this part of the BBR news item:
Of course, despite the DRM, P2PNet points out the album is still being freely copied, one of the songs off it holding the number one spot among illegally traded rock music files. Despite that, the album has topped the charts - selling 736,000 units since launch, (and 23,000 digital copies).

d_man60112
join:2004-06-09
Cortland, IL

1 recommendation

d_man60112

Thank you for pointing out my argument. The technology that is supposed to stop illegal copying is only stopping legal copying!

gheezer
Compooters R Us
Premium Member
join:2002-12-20
Henrietta, NY

1 edit

3 recommendations

gheezer to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Typical neocon response...kneejerk reaction without understanding what you're seeing.

BBR is QUOTING another web site news article...they cannot be held responsible for the NEWS they report...it's like blaming Saddam for Osama Bin Laden...

oh wait, the Republican's are doing that too...

This country's in deep doo doo man..Corporate interests rule, both political parties have sold out to the money god, and the freedoms we held so dear are disappearing at an alarming rate.

Go coddle another multi-billion dollar corporation and keep yer paws off DSLR.

I am an avowed Conservative libertarian, compare me to a liberal at your own risk.
joebear29
totesmcgoats
join:2003-07-20
Alabaster, AL

joebear29

If you had managed to say that without the needless political trolling, I would have like your post.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to gheezer

Premium Member

to gheezer
I didn't know that BBR had room for one political party. (thought it appears to be an ultra liberal site)

And don't take that wrong, becuase you and I come from the same polital threads... liberatarian.
unigamer
join:2005-06-01
Henderson, NV

unigamer

The following is an observation, not meant to offend. So please let's skip the trolling and flames.

I'm sure that if you were to take a survey of BBR users, you'd find a multitude of views.

As for me, myself, I'm real close to moderate. On some things I fall one way, on some the other. I tend to follow reasoning and basic logic (and sometimes a little emotion) to decide on a case-by-case basis... I'm not the kind to subscribe to one side of the spectrum.
unigamer

unigamer to FFH5

to FFH5
Both of the passages you quoted are simply observations, and journalistic publishing. It takes a warped brain to see them as justifying piracy... but then again, considering how some people see the world, nothing would surprise me, would it?
unigamer

unigamer to gheezer

to gheezer
1.) And who the heck are you to tell someone to keep their hands off of DSLR, or any other public website or forum for that matter? I don't see any evidence of you being a sysop, etc... they're the only ones that can do that.

2.) Last time I checked, there were three forbidden subjects in polite conversation - if you bring them up, you're bound to cause trouble. The two I remember for sure are politics and religion - you sure opened that can of worms, didn't you? LOL I think the third is sex... I could be wrong, if I am, someone please enlighten me.

I think they said that about the first two for a good reason, though...

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

fireflier

Premium Member

The third according to Linus on Halloween Night is "The Great Pumpkin".

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

1 recommendation

N3OGH to gheezer

Premium Member

to gheezer
Way to Troll..

I'm so goddamn sick of how everything here deteriorates into partisan political bullshit.

When Napster first came out, did I download songs? Sure I did. My reasoning?

1: A lot of the songs I wanted (obscure 70's stuff) was not available in stores.

2: A lot of the stuff I wanted was on $20 CD's, and all I wanted was 1 song.

With the advent and proliferation of single song download services (not just iTunes, but a myriad of services), there is no legitimate reason not to go to a legal source to download the music you want.

Let's face it, if you're not willing to pay .99 for a song you want, you're noting but a 2 bit thief. I've downloaded a lot of songs for .99 that I thought were crap, and ended up deleting. It's .99! people, GET A GRIP.

I'm no friend of the RIAA, but since so many legal avenues to download music cheaply exist, it is getting harder and harder to fall on the side of folks who consistently bitch and moan about downloading music illegally on P2P services.

A short list of things that cost more than a buck...

A 16oz cup of coffee: $1.15

A 22oz Coca Cola $1.39

A gallon of gas $2.35

A lays "grab bag" of Doritos is a buck and a quarter around here for chirssake.

Let's face it, if you can afford 1: a broadband connection, 2: a computer that will facilitate the use of today's P2P networks, and 3: the CD burner to burn the CD's to export your illegally downloaded music to your CD player, you sure as HELL can afford to blow a dollar (a BUCK, .99C!!!!) on a song you might want...

Technology has caught up to this argument, and it has become totally moot. You can download almost any single song you might possibly want for a fair price, and the rights to it's use are, for the most part, pretty generous, as long as you're not trying to give it away for free.

I used to be a big advocate for the argument in favor of P2P, but not any more. If you're not willing to pay .99 for a song you might possibly want, I can't see where you were willing to pay anything for it in the first place...
43193594 (banned)
Chauncey Gardiner
join:2005-08-03
CX 747-400

43193594 (banned)

Just because one doesn't feel a price is justified by a product doesn't mean they are a thief.

That doesn't make trading songs right. It also doesn't make trading them wrong.

Atomic Fro
@comcast.net

Atomic Fro to N3OGH

Anon

to N3OGH
Never mind the tax on the blank CDs the RIAA gets to compensate for music piracy.

They already got their dues from that. If the RIAA wants to take students and old ladies to court over a hand full of songs the market deems as only worth .99, then the tax on the blank CDs needs to go.
WirelessMajr
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
College Place, WA

WirelessMajr to N3OGH

Premium Member

to N3OGH
said by N3OGH:

Way to Troll..

I'm so goddamn sick of how everything here deteriorates into partisan political bullshit.

When Napster first came out, did I download songs? Sure I did. My reasoning?

1: A lot of the songs I wanted (obscure 70's stuff) was not available in stores.

2: A lot of the stuff I wanted was on $20 CD's, and all I wanted was 1 song.

Let's face it, if you're not willing to pay .99 for a song you want, you're noting but a 2 bit thief. I've downloaded a lot of songs for .99 that I thought were crap, and ended up deleting. It's .99! people, GET A GRIP.

A short list of things that cost more than a buck...

A 16oz cup of coffee: $1.15

A 22oz Coca Cola $1.39

A gallon of gas $2.35

A lays "grab bag" of Doritos is a buck and a quarter around here for chirssake.

Let's face it, if you can afford 1: a broadband connection, 2: a computer that will facilitate the use of today's P2P networks, and 3: the CD burner to burn the CD's to export your illegally downloaded music to your CD player, you sure as HELL can afford to blow a dollar (a BUCK, .99C!!!!) on a song you might want...
Just because you see fit to waste a dollar on a song you don't like, don't label all of creation a thief just because everyone else doesn't comply with your personal morals.

1) Computers are relatively cheap nowadays. You don't need the latest and greatest. My mom's PII 266 will download and burn songs quite fine. Something that you pick up for $100, then purchase a cheap DVD burner (DVD burners can be had for ~$40 today) will service you for that exact purpose perfectly. You just need to make sure you have ample RAM.

2) A BUCK as you call it isnt cheap. Maybe, just maybe a person feels they have something better to do with a buck than to waste it on a lossy formatted song. For this "BUCK," I want a lossless copy of the song, as there are lossless codecs out there.
orangelemon
join:2003-01-29
Woodinville, WA

orangelemon

If a buck's worth nothing to you, how about sending everyone regsitered on this site a buck just to prove it?

rds24a
Teach Your Children
Premium Member
join:2000-12-13
Newton Upper Falls, MA

rds24a

Premium Member

There's two points of view on the whole $0.99 deal:

1. The parts cost more than the whole. Common practice...ever price out buying a car piece-by-piece from NAPA? Way more than the whole. However, It currently costs more to buy the whole online than a CD in the store.

2. The lack of distribution. No CD's, no shipping, etc. etc. There should be a price break for that, I agree. However, there is a premium on convenience and I'm not willing to argue that it should be $0.50 or $0.75 or $5.00 an album. I think $0.99 a song is OK...not great, but OK.

As for the file size/quality issue. I'm sure it's more a matter of Dances with Focus Groups trying to find some one file size that provides sufficient quality while reaching out to those lowly dialup users who still have to wait 20 minutes to download one 3 Mb song file. Perhaps the solution there is to offer a hi-fi and a not-so-hi-fi version, but I guarantee you there will be a price difference (for not much reason other than they can).

skipon11
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA

skipon11 to N3OGH

Premium Member

to N3OGH
Whew! Wacoyle. They sure have Braineashed you!

tapeloop
Not bad at all, really.
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Airstrip One

tapeloop to rds24a

Premium Member

to rds24a
said by rds24a:

There's two points of view on the whole $0.99 deal:

1. The parts cost more than the whole. Common practice...ever price out buying a car piece-by-piece from NAPA? Way more than the whole. However, It currently costs more to buy the whole online than a CD in the store.

2. The lack of distribution. No CD's, no shipping, etc. etc. There should be a price break for that, I agree. However, there is a premium on convenience and I'm not willing to argue that it should be $0.50 or $0.75 or $5.00 an album. I think $0.99 a song is OK...not great, but OK.

As for the file size/quality issue. I'm sure it's more a matter of Dances with Focus Groups trying to find some one file size that provides sufficient quality while reaching out to those lowly dialup users who still have to wait 20 minutes to download one 3 Mb song file. Perhaps the solution there is to offer a hi-fi and a not-so-hi-fi version, but I guarantee you there will be a price difference (for not much reason other than they can).
Good points you make. You should check out the price breakdown that Wired had in a recent article. Reading that makes the cost of 75 cents a track sound more appropriate.

Full article is here:»www.wired.com/wired/arch ··· pic_set=

Still, I would personally rather buy whole (used) CD's rather than paying 99 cents a track. The sound quality and DRM are big issues to me, but if I find a one-hit-wonder that I simply don't want to buy the album of, I'll bite and cough up the buck. In that case I would be paying the unit cost of buying that one track as opposed to buying the whole album...but I'd still rather have the higher bitrate.