spc
Search similar:

uniqs
torrent89
join:2005-06-17
Marietta, GA

torrent89

wrt54g access point

I have a wrt54g set as an access point, is it possible to run another access point from this access point. I'm trying not to run another network wire from the main router because it was extremely difficult, so I'm hoping there is a way to just run a wire from one access point to another.

jazzman916
Life on the Upbeat
MVM,
join:2001-09-01
Birdland

jazzman916

MVM,

You should be able to as long as you set it as a router instead of gateway use a different IP and different channels. However, buying a WAP may be the simpler solution.

Bill
Premium Member
join:2001-12-09

Bill to torrent89

Premium Member

to torrent89
Click for full size
The setup would work, but may not be the best, or most efficient, setup.

I've attached an image for ease of explanation:

With "AP #2 (WRT54G)" connected to "AP #1", all the traffic from "AP #2" is going to have to go through the other AP. That will cause excess traffic on the other AP, when the data has nothing to do with that AP.

If "AP #1" dies, for any reason, all internet traffic (or connections between Laptop #1 and Laptop #2), will fail and not work because "AP #1" isn't working. If you still wanted to be able to get online from "AP #2", and "AP #1" was dead, you'd have to wire the WRT54G directly into the main router.

The ideal setup would be to have the WRT54G connected directly to the main router with a wire, or wirelessly, if the main router is wireless.

I understand that you don't want to run a wire from the main router to the WRT54G, but it would be a more reliable solution.