Search similar:

uniqs
praguequest
join:2005-02-07
Los Angeles, CA

praguequest

keystroke logger problem

hi.
is there a way to detect whether or not a keystroke logger script is running? the particular system was setup by someone who mysteriously ended up with information about emails, passwords, etc. of the computer owner. i imagine this would be just a script of some sort and not a full blown commercial keystroke logger program. how would i go about finding and disabling it?

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

What if it is removed?

Using tools mentioned here you can check if there is anything untoward still running
»Security »I think my computer is infected or hijacked. What should I do?

Cudni
praguequest
join:2005-02-07
Los Angeles, CA

praguequest

i actually already ran all the commercial adware removal progs as well as an online virus scan...while it did find ALOT of adware and removed it, i'm not completely sure it would remove a computer specific script not in the database of these removal tools. hence my question of trying to find it manually, so to speak. but if youthink the methods suggested would remove it all, then cool.

thanks for the list btw. it's really helpfull.

moreprivacy
@ptr.us.xo

moreprivacy to praguequest

Anon

to praguequest
I would try running the free trial of Security Task Manager and also install Snoopfree, which is free. They are both very good at detecting keyloggers.

Also you could try the free shareware version of UnHackme, this little gem will find those rootkit like keyloggers that the others may miss, but UnHackme won't find regular keyloggers, so you still need the other programs for a more well rounded complete protection against keyloggers.

Many anti-spyware programs like MSAS, Ad-aware, Spybot, X-Cleaner, SpySweeper etc... will find some keyloggers also, but for better protection that doesn't rely on only signatures try the heuristic based STM, UnHackme and Snoopfree which don't have to be constantly updated. Hth.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to praguequest

Premium Member

to praguequest
One tool I use that has caught such things is A Squared, see »www.emsisoft.com/en/

HTH
B04
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28

1 recommendation

B04

Premium Member

Supposedly the best tool for this is SpyCop (warning: web site has annoying audio), chiefly because it detects commercial keyloggers that others don't.

I've never tried it.

-- B
boblandy2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06

boblandy2 to praguequest

Premium Member

to praguequest
said by praguequest:

i'm not completely sure it would remove a computer specific script not in the database of these removal tools. hence my question of trying to find it manually, so to speak. but if youthink the methods suggested would remove it all, then cool
SpyCop (mentioned by B04 See Profile above) support, when the question was posed, "couldn't anyone could just make their own keylogger and Spycop would never find it", responded...

"Though uncommon in the real world, if a user did write their own keylogger, it may still be detected as the shared keyhook DLLs available to programmers are detectable already"

hth

Logan 5
What a long strange trip its been
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
San Francisco, CA

Logan 5 to moreprivacy

Premium Member

to moreprivacy
said by moreprivacy:

I would try running the free trial of Security Task Manager and also install Snoopfree, which is free. They are both very good at detecting keyloggers.
FWIW: I tried SnoopFree on the recommendiation made above and ended up having to run a System Restore Rollback because SnoopFree apparently needs it's own version of the VBRUN .dll file (among others) which breaks things like the task bar and start menu's in XP Pro.

Luckily I had SR enabled or I would have had to have done an ERD repair....messy.
B04
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28

B04

Premium Member

said by Logan 5:
said by moreprivacy:

FWIW: I tried SnoopFree on the recommendiation made above and ended up having to run a System Restore Rollback because SnoopFree apparently needs it's own version of the VBRUN .dll file (among others) which breaks things like the task bar and start menu's in XP Pro.

Luckily I had SR enabled or I would have had to have done an ERD repair....messy.
Note To Self: Installing security programs solely on the recommendation of anonymous posters, not the best idea...

-- b

Logan 5
What a long strange trip its been
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
San Francisco, CA

Logan 5

Premium Member

said by B04:

Note To Self: Installing security programs solely on the recommendation of anonymous posters, not the best idea...:)-- b
Indeed...... I actually ended up fixing not only the SnoopFree problem, but another driver problem with the System Restore, so the minor hassle was worth it for the benefit gained by doing this.

It wasn't on my main box, but I'm still happy that it was removed almost easier then it was installed.

moreprivacy
@ltrkar.swbell.ne

moreprivacy to praguequest

Anon

to praguequest
Yes, it's possible you could have a problem running a free program, but you take the same chance with any freebie. If you find problems just report them to the author so he can fix them. I didn't write the program, so don't blame me for any problems you may encounter with it. I and many others at Wilders Security, (which is where I first saw the program posted) run the program without any trouble.