Premium Member
join:2005-05-23
Charlotte, NC

7 recommendations

melissatrv

Premium Member

Microsoft Security Bulletins Released Today

August 9, 2005
Today Microsoft released the following Security Bulletin(s).

Note: www.microsoft.com/technet/security and www.microsoft.com/security are authoritative in all matters concerning Microsoft Security Bulletins! ANY e-mail, web board or newsgroup posting (including this one) should be verified by visiting these sites for official information. Microsoft never sends security or other updates as attachments. These updates must be downloaded from the microsoft.com download center or Windows Update. See the individual bulletins for details.

Because some malicious messages attempt to masquerade as official Microsoft security notices, it is recommended that you physically type the URLs into your web browser and not click on the hyperlinks provided.

Bulletin Summary:

»www.microsoft.com/techne ··· Aug.mspx

Critical Bulletins:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (896727)
»www.microsoft.com/techne ··· 038.mspx

Vulnerability in Plug and Play Could Allow Remote Code Execution and Elevation of Privilege (899588)
»www.microsoft.com/techne ··· 039.mspx

Vulnerability in Print Spooler Service Could Allow Remote Code Execution (896423)
»www.microsoft.com/techne ··· 043.mspx

Important Bulletins:

Vulnerability in Telephony Service Could Allow Remote Code Execution (893756)
»www.microsoft.com/techne ··· 040.mspx

Moderate Bulletins:

Vulnerability in Remote Desktop Protocol Could Allow Denial of Service (899591)
»www.microsoft.com/techne ··· 041.mspx

Vulnerabilities in Kerberos Could Allow Denial of Service, Information Disclosure, and Spoofing (899587)
»www.microsoft.com/techne ··· 042.mspx

Re-Released Bulletins:

Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Word May Lead to Remote Code Execution (890169)
»www.microsoft.com/techne ··· 023.mspx

Vulnerability in Microsoft Agent Could Allow Spoofing (890046) (890169)»www.microsoft.com/techne ··· 032.mspx

This represents our regularly scheduled monthly bulletin release (second Tuesday of each month). Please note that Microsoft may release bulletins out side of this schedule if we determine the need to do so.

If you have any questions regarding the patch or its implementation after reading the above listed bulletin you should contact Product Support Services in the United States at 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). International customers should contact their local subsidiary.

Melissa Travers
Microsoft Corp
MVP Lead Security

dp
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

dp

MVM

Thank you for the notice Melissa.

JmanB
Premium Member
join:2003-08-27
Redmond, WA

JmanB to melissatrv

Premium Member

to melissatrv
Thanks for posting Melissa!
lrmayer
join:2000-02-19
Kendall Park, NJ

lrmayer to melissatrv

to melissatrv
In addition to the 6 listed above for XP-SP2:

Also installed 894391 which resolves an issue with MS05-012 --- with Software removal tool, which is updated monthly -- a total of 8 patches were downloaded

Portmonkey
My watch stopped
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Southern IL

1 edit

Portmonkey to melissatrv

Premium Member

to melissatrv
XP Home SP2: Just checked a couple minutes ago and nothing was available yet.
Installed and all is well so far.
boblandy2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06

boblandy2 to melissatrv

Premium Member

to melissatrv
i just installed all critical (win2k) and high priority (winxp) updates and so far so good.... but of course i created new drive images before installing the updates, just in case

ravencajun
Premium Member
join:2004-08-12
Houston, TX

ravencajun to melissatrv

Premium Member

to melissatrv
I had 8 critical that downloaded and installed no problems.
Thanks

hpguru
Curb Your Dogma
Premium Member
join:2002-04-12

hpguru to melissatrv

Premium Member

to melissatrv
It would appear that MS has withdrawn the "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (896727)".

»www.microsoft.com/downlo ··· 6DF4858E

What's up with that?

Gundam_MX
Stomping Robot
join:2003-06-27

Gundam_MX to melissatrv

to melissatrv
I just got the updates, but now when I go back to the update site I get this error message:
quote:
[Error number: 0x8024400A]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions

Find Solutions

Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

hpguru
Curb Your Dogma
Premium Member

hpguru

Premium Member

said by Gundam_MX:

I just got the updates, but now when I go back to the update site I get this error message:
quote:
[Error number: 0x8024400A]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions

Find Solutions

Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

Reboot.

Just wanted to add that I can download KB896727 via WU but I'm a little leary of it now.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

1 edit

Grail Knight to Gundam_MX

Premium Member

to Gundam_MX
I am receiving the same error after 8 updates and reboot.

Edit* See my follow up below as to WinUpdate being error free again.

LoPhatPhuud
MVM
join:2002-01-06
Albuquerque, NM

1 edit

LoPhatPhuud to melissatrv

MVM

to melissatrv
Apparently there is an issue with missing or invalid digital signatures.

Expect a re-issue soon.

Also reported that if you do not have KB900930 (OE patch) installed, no other updates will show until installed.

hpguru
Curb Your Dogma
Premium Member

hpguru to Grail Knight

Premium Member

to Grail Knight
Perhaps it was caused by KB896727. It is the only one I have yet to install.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

hpguru,

Actually I was just getting ready to change my post to say:

Cleared the temp and cache files again then I rebooted 2x times and WinUpdate is working error free again.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

jbob

Premium Member

Oh no it's a twister, it's a twister! Perhaps they are now getting Windows Update to work as good as the MSAS updater!!!

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

lol

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to melissatrv

Premium Member

to melissatrv
Is it me or are there no updates right now (not earlier) for XP Home SP1?

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z to Grail Knight

Premium Member

to Grail Knight
Grail, I had to re-download SP2 to get mine to work on the desktop. Of course my brother suggested a clean install, but I found it easier to do the other.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

I am glad I did not have to go that far.

As secondary test I ran the update checker from "Help & Support" and the problem was not present. I ignored the WMP10 and Messenger update as I have no use for them.

Just checked again using Avant/IE and WinUpdates is also working correctly.

I am sure MS is catching some heat over this one.

-Greg

Gundam_MX
Stomping Robot
join:2003-06-27

Gundam_MX to hpguru

to hpguru
said by hpguru:

Reboot.

Just wanted to add that I can download KB896727 via WU but I'm a little leary of it now.
I realize that I should have shut down/turn on PC after I posted the first message.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to melissatrv

Premium Member

to melissatrv
I don't understand this:

"If update rollup 873377, update rollup 889669, or an Internet Explorer hotfix that was released after security bulletin MS04-038 is not installed, and if you want to install the hotfixes that are included in update rollup 896727, you must follow the instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 897225. Otherwise, all Internet Explorer hotfixes that you have installed will be removed."

I don't have those rollups but I am completely up to date on all security patches. So, if I install 896727 all IE hotfixes will be removed unless I follow the instructions in KB 897225? If I don't want this to happen I have to edit the registry before installing 896727?

Why is a cumulative update for IE suddenly so complex and difficult to do?

Trooper
Premium Member
join:2005-05-18
USA

Trooper to melissatrv

Premium Member

to melissatrv
Updated with no probs at all here.

Windows XP Pro w/SP2

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to melissatrv

MVM

to melissatrv
Seven updates for XPh SP2 installed successfully.

storm64007
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Freeport, NY

storm64007

Premium Member

Updated smoothly here..it was sassy, sexy and fun

Razgriz
Pandora rocks
Premium Member
join:2005-05-31
Fayetteville, NC

Razgriz to melissatrv

Premium Member

to melissatrv
8 updates for Windows XP Home SP2 installed smoothly. No problems at all.
TeMerc6
join:2004-01-22
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

TeMerc6 to melissatrv

to melissatrv
All went smothly for me here, 3 boxes.

For those who had troubels, this could be why:
By Ryan Naraine
August 9, 2005

Microsoft late Tuesday confirmed that its "critical" Internet Explorer patches had to be pulled after a hiccup caused some of the downloads to be corrupted.

The glitch was detected by users attempting to install the IE patch from the Microsoft Download center.

"Shortly after we released the updates this morning we found that several of the Internet Explorer updates provided only to the Download Center were corrupted, breaking the digital signature and preventing them from installing," a post on the official Internet Explorer Weblog said.

Full Read @ eWeek
»www.eweek.com/article2/0 ··· 9,00.asp
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Hi Mele,
I think that kb article about the hotfixes is as clear as mud. (I've read similar notices before, but I don't recall it involving editing the registry. I've questioned it here in the past, but was just told to update.) I don't have either of those two hotfixes either. I don't want to install 896727 and have other hotfixes removed.
I hope someone that understands this can clear this up for us.
Sincerely, Libra
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds that KB article very confusing. I guess it is a good thing I am confused because I would have downloaded the cumlative update from the MS download center and evidently that is where the bad downloads were earlier and I might have gotten one of them.

Maybe someone will explain this to us.

The "just swallow your medicine and don't ask questions" attitude that appears to be what has happened when you asked about this in the past is not a very good attitude. Not all of us just blindly let auto updating do its thing or even go to WU and blindly download and install everything offered there. You do that you can get in a mess sometimes. So, I hope someone can explain this. Maybe there is a simple explanation that you and I are missing somehow. I would call MS but the techs they have now....poorly trained most of them.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Hi Mele,
I'm wondering if those two hotfixes mentioned are only required in certain cases because I just checked my Windows 98 se computer, which I've had for 5 years, and I don't have those hotfixes either for IE. I can't imagine MS removing important hotfixes from computers if people didn't edit the registry - not everyone reads through the bulletins (I think everyone here does, but if someone has automatic updates running they wouldn't even know about this).
I was thinking of calling MS Updates too, but when I thought of my experience with them last year I changed my mind. (I did, however, have an MS Professional help me with an issue a hotfix didn't correct recently and she was great and fixed the problem ).
I agree it was good we didn't apply the update earlier. I'm going to wait and hope someone can figure this out for us.
Sincerely, Libra
stridr69
join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA

stridr69 to melissatrv

to melissatrv
8 downloads.
8 upgrades.
reboot.
..next...
SP2Home..
10 minutes..