aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

Reverse IP Lookup (for free)

Is there a way to see all COM, NET, ORG, INFO, BIZ, and US domains on any IP address totaly for free with no limit to 3 domains at a website or with a tool that runs on Windows 9x (98/SE, ME)?

Mark75
Premium Member
join:2001-11-15
Phoenix, AZ

Mark75

Premium Member

Perhaps the tool nslookup (which comes with Windows) is what you are looking for.

Open a command prompt: Start > Run > 'cmd'
Type 'nslookup 1.2.3.4', substituting 1.2.3.4 with the IP you wish to reverse lookup.

Bill
Premium Member
join:2001-12-09

Bill to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm
If you're talking about something like what »www.whois.sc has, no, I don't know of a free service.

Whois.sc allows you to see three domains for free, and requires a "Silver Membership" to see all of them.

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

removed to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm
Yep.

»whois.webhosting.info/20 ··· .109.175

localhost
Premium Member
join:2005-01-19
Cypress, CA

localhost

Premium Member

That site doesn't appear to work.

It shows 'some' of the hosts, but not even close to all of them.

I have 21 sites on one ip and it only shows 4

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve

said by localhost:

That site doesn't appear to work.
It's doing as good a job as physically possible.

Going from a single IP address to the canonical inverse name is a deterministic process (via in-addr.arpa), but that's not what these guys are doing.

They are showing A records that point to the given IP, and the only deterministic way to do this is to look in every zone on the internet. That's not really possible.

Instead, they just spider the web and look up www links as they come across them, and keep track of which records point to which IP addresses. The database accretes gradually, showing the partial coverage you have seen. But it's just not possible to find "all" the data in any trivial step.

Steve

localhost
Premium Member
Cypress, CA

localhost

Premium Member

I realize that there is no perfect solution to this problem as there is no real way to get a root nameserver to dump all A records that evaluate to a certain ip. I guess i just have a mindset that if you cannot do a reasonable job then don't do it at all.

whois.sc is able to find 12 sites on the same ip, which still isn't the best, but they also give other additional info on the same page.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 edit

Steve

said by localhost:

I guess i just have a mindset that if you cannot do a reasonable job then don't do it at all.
I guess I have the mindset that an imperfect solution to an unsolvable problem is better than no solution at all.

localhost
Premium Member
Cypress, CA

localhost

Premium Member

said by Steve:

I guess I have the mindset that an imperfect solution to an unsovable problem is better than no solution at all.
I agree with you there, but their site doesn't seem to realize it is an imperfect solution.
said by »whois.webhosting.info:

Key Features:

* Web Hosting Company hosting the domain name
* Current IP Address of the domain
* Geographical location of the IP Address
* Reverse IP Facility - Lists all domains hosted on an IP Address
* Domain Owner Details - Registrant, Admin Contact etc
* Absolutely Free!

Skipdawg
The Original

join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA

Skipdawg to removed

to removed
Thanks this works better than what I had at least.

printscreen
join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR

1 edit

printscreen to localhost

to localhost
said by localhost:

said by removed:
I have 21 sites on one ip and it only shows 4
Just curious. Do all 21 domains point to the same IP address when you do a reverse lookup on them?

I have a web hosting account that has two sites and there are five domains among the two sites plus two parked domains pointing to one of the sites, making that seven domain names. But the Webhosting.info tool only shows the five fomains that actually point to the web sites, not the parked ones. Are your 21 domains actually pointed to a real web server and not parked somewhere else and redirecting?

geekamongus
MVM
join:2004-07-27
Asheville, NC

geekamongus to Steve

MVM

to Steve
Thanks for the explanation - I always wondered how they did that. And I learned what the word 'accrete' means

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium Member
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA

nixen to printscreen

Premium Member

to printscreen
said by printscreen:

Just curious. Do all 21 domains point to the same IP address when you do a reverse lookup on them?
With DNS, one can create any number of A records. However, PTR records are unique. Therefore, while you might find 21 A records that point to a single, common IP, you will only find one PTR that maps an IP to a hostname (if you're lucky: even still, a lot of sites don't bother to reverse map addresses).

-tom

localhost
Premium Member
Cypress, CA

localhost to printscreen

Premium Member

to printscreen
said by printscreen:

I have a web hosting account that has two sites and there are five domains among the two sites plus two parked domains pointing to one of the sites, making that seven domain names. But the Webhosting.info tool only shows the five fomains that actually point to the web sites, not the parked ones. Are your 21 domains actually pointed to a real web server and not parked somewhere else and redirecting?
All 21 domains have an A record pointing to the IP of the server, and there is an apache vhost (sometimes a serveralias) for each one of them.

Oddly enough, it appears that the whois page shows all of the domains attached to a specific vhost and none of the other ones. Very odd.

And just some more info relating to nixen See Profile's comment, the ip does have a PTR record (i have reverse dns authority over the subnet) and the whois site does not show the domain that is in the ptr record. Go figure.

Descent
Wrap It Up
Premium Member
join:2000-11-10
Hoboken, NJ

1 edit

Descent to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm
Check these guys out
»whois.webhosting.info/67 ··· .159.130

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

1 edit

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

quote:
Perhaps the tool nslookup (which comes with Windows) is what you are looking for.

Type 'nslookup 1.2.3.4', substituting 1.2.3.4 with the IP you wish to reverse lookup.
Wrong answer. cmd and nslookup are only found NT based systems (Windows NT 3.5, 4.0, Windows 2000, XP).

I used Start >> Run >> 'Command.com'
Typed in 'nslookup 1.2.3.4', substituting 1.2.3.4 with the IP I wished to reverse, I have BIND-LE (software from »ntcanuck.com/ ), lookup. But it still does not answer my question. But I thank you for trying.

I also thank everyone else for the answers that they provided.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON

1 recommendation

twizlar

Premium Member

said by aefstoggaflm:
quote:

Wrong answer. cmd and nslookup are only found NT based systems (Windows NT 3.5, 4.0, Windows 2000, XP).

I used Start >> Run >> 'Command.com'
Typed in 'nslookup 1.2.3.4', substituting 1.2.3.4 with the IP I wished to reverse, I have BIND-LE (software from »ntcanuck.com/), lookup. But it still does not answer my question. But I thank you for trying.

I also thank everyone else for the answers that they provided.
Anyone using a non NT shell windows shouldn't be allowed on the internet.