spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aloshi90

join:2005-08-13

Problems configuring Dl-604

Ok, I just bought a Dl-604 Router, the problem is that when I run the wizard and tells me to choose my connection type..it's not listed..
My connection type is PPPoA, the ones that is available on the wizard is Dynamic, Static, PPPoE and some others.
My Dl-604 is h\v D something, coz there's A, B, C, D and E, mine's D

How can I fix this?

rperkin

join:2003-12-12
UK

1 edit
The PPPoA connection, ISP login and authentication should all be handled by the ADSL modem.

Depending on how your modem is configured, you should select Dynamic or Static. It's usual for the ADSL modem to be configured as a DHCP server - if this is the case, configure the router's WAN connection as Dynamic. This will allow the modem to 'pass through' the public WAN address it receives from the ISP.

The modem and the router should have different network addresses. For example, if the LAN address of the modem is 192.168.1.1, then the router should be configured to use the 192.168.0.x network for its LAN addresses.

There is no need to set an ISP username/password on the router - this is for PPPoE use only.

I have a DI-604 Rev D1 fronted by a DSL-300T modem. Works just fine.

Hope this helps - shout out if you need more info

EDIT: Typos

aloshi90

What's making me confused is how the wires connection goes..
Are you saying that I should dial the DSL on the computer?
The dsl modem I have is Alcatel Speed Touch USB modem...so where do I connect the USB? To the computer?
I just wanna know how the connection goes.

rperkin

UK
Sounds like you've bought the wrong kit

It's not possible to connect your USB modem to the DI-604. You need a modem with an Ethernet connection - a suitable D-Link model is the DSL-300T.

You don't say which country you are in, so I don't know for certain which products to recommend.

If you're in the UK, then there's also a good choice of combined ADSL modem / router products - virtually every brand offers them. The current D-Link model is the DSL-504T, or if you want wireless, the DSL-G604T.

If the DI-604 is new, return it to the retailer and exchange it for a model with a built-in ADSL modem.

As an aside, USB modems are generally regarded as cheap rubbish - that's why ISPs can afford to give them away for free. Use Ethernet - avoid USB for communications devices.

Hope this helps

aloshi90

mm...problem is the company only offers USB modems :P
I'm from Kuwait, or in other words Middle East.
Guess we'll just stay on ICS on a hub..

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
said by aloshi90:

mm...problem is the company only offers USB modems :P
I'm from Kuwait, or in other words Middle East.
Guess we'll just stay on ICS on a hub..
In your case, you are correct. There is very, very little the DI-604 can offer you.
--
Robb Topolski http://www.funchords.com/ Hillsboro, Oregon USA
Dear Anonymous, Thank you!!! Thank you!!!

rperkin

UK
reply to aloshi90
Just because the ISP offers a USB modem doesn't mean you must use it. My ISP gives away USB modems to new customers - but after signing up with them I sold the USB modem on eBay.

Just make a note of the setup parameters for your PPPoA connection. Usually, you will need to know the following:
VPI and VCI (the ATM circuit used by the telecom company)
LLC or VCMux (the encapsulation type)
CHAP or PAP (the authentication method)

You should be able to find these direct these from the ISP, from their website, or from the information they sent you when you subscribed.

Once you have the information you should be able to configure an Ethernet modem or a combined modem/router, and away you go.

ICS is a software router and DHCP server. It's OK provided you don't mind leaving the ICS PC running, and can live with its limitations. But a hardware router is better and more convenient.

Hope this helps