spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

john21804

@cavtel.net

Dead DNS Servers!

Stupid cavalier at it again, This time they're dns servers die completely.. MD and VA DNS servers ping out completely while PA and Delaware servers have limited usability... Is anyone else experiencing this?

hsindogg
Premium
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD
Yeah, my link went out around 7:30AM...didn't know it was the DNS servers though.

I just logged off and went to work, hopefully it'll be back up when I get home from work.
--
"I triple guarantee you, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad." - Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf, Iraqi Information Minister

Cavdead

@c6bccf.client.atlant
They've lost a big portion of MD, DC, and NoVA. My business has been without voice or data service from Cavtel since early this morning and Cav will not tell me what has happened or when it will be fixed. If you are considering this outfit for your service, run screaming. Even Verizon provides better service.

Swingerhead
Premium
join:2004-04-06
Richmond, VA
couldnt get into the network either, couldnt pay my bill on thier website this morning.

Lenagainster

join:2005-01-07
Silver Spring, MD
reply to john21804
Phone service back on line about 3 pm, DSL up about 3:30 pm.

Frustrating.

john21804

@cavtel.net
reply to john21804
yeah..this happened before.. they said it was my ethernet card..

john21804

@cavtel.net
reply to john21804
Aw...damnit.. the MD and PA dns server is down AGAIN...

Lenagainster

Silver Spring, MD

1 edit
reply to john21804
BACK UP AT 9:10 PM
(Funny, I tried phone, no dial tone; tried Internet, it worked! Though I had DSL without phone, but then I got the dial tone.)

This outage pushed my son over the edge and he just signed up for Verizon FIOS. My enthusiasm for Cavtel has waned, and I may follow my boy.

Lena

john21804

@cavtel.net
reply to john21804
lol..i cant seem to get mine to work...my dns pings fine elsewhere..but it wont ping from this pc.. pisses me off so bad...

john21804

@cavtel.net
nvm I got it up..lol

TominDerwood
Tom Am I

join:2000-10-23
Derwood, MD
reply to Lenagainster
said by Lenagainster:

BACK UP AT 9:10 PM
(Funny, I tried phone, no dial tone; tried Internet, it worked! Though I had DSL without phone, but then I got the dial tone.)

This outage pushed my son over the edge and he just signed up for Verizon FIOS. My enthusiasm for Cavtel has waned, and I may follow my boy.

Lena
If I could sign up for FIOS, I would not hesitate to switch. No matter how good or bad Cavtel may be. It was very frustrating yesterday to not have dial tone or DSL for most of the day at home. I wish their support group would at least let us know what happened and what steps they took to insure it won't again!

Tom
--
I still haven't found what I'm looking for...

hsindogg
Premium
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD
Yeah seriously...If I could get fiber, I'd make the switch in a heartbeat....forget DSL!

tgill430

join:2004-10-27
Baltimore, MD
reply to john21804
can we rename this forum to "cavalier...sucks" serriously.

Lenagainster

Silver Spring, MD
reply to john21804
Did anyone else get a call from a Cavtel rep today (8/16) stating that the network problem was fixed? I never called to complain, but I guess they are trying to contact as many customers as they can to 'mend fences'.

BTW, heard an ad on the radio today for Cavtel for the first time in ages. Guess they are trying to make up for the customers them may lose as a result of yesterday's fiasco.

Lena

john21804

@cavtel.net
reply to john21804
Didn't hear from cavalier at all.. but I never lost a dial tone either.. all I had was.. "We're sorry..all our circuits are busy now.. please try again later" But then I went to work..so who knows what happened when I was away.

Lenagainster

Silver Spring, MD
reply to john21804
Lost my DSL (not phone service) for a short time this morning. That was a PIA. If it keeps up, Cavtel, I'm outta here!

Lena

perryinva

join:2004-01-20
Richmond, VA
reply to john21804
Not that I'm MR Cavalier-is-the-greatest-thing-since-sex kind of customer, but if you all think that everyone elses broadband is bulletproof, you're sadly mistaken. I had Comcast Cable for 5 years and besides lower download and MUCH lower upload, and WAY higher price, they had plenty of outages. Sure it's frustrating when it's out, but the choice is yours, pay the bargain rate of $25 a month (for me 4.4Mb down and 800k up)and put up with the occasional blip or pay a lot more and put up with the less occasional blip. My friends with Verizon DSL have their issues..go check out the Verizon forum! If you run a business and only have Cavalier as your communication path, then you got what you paid for....no tiny company like Cavtel will ever have the reliability that a Verizon will have, there isn't enough customer base to have much overhead. waaa waaa waaa, if you don't like it then let them know with your wallet and leave..it's not like they get some perverse pleasure out of pissing off customers when they know you can leave anytime cause there is no contract, like Comcast & Verizon make you sign....they have everything to lose & nothing to gain...sheesh.

john21804

@cavtel.net
Feel better now that you think you've put everyone in their place? Personally your opinion means jack to me, We are not children and dont speak down to us like children. I dont give two sh*ts about what you think everyone else should act.. and yeah.. I think Cavtel is good, WHEN it works... I've had Comcast and Verizon both, and there is a reason why Im still on Cavtel rather then Verizon. We are not exactly sitting here crying and whining or going "whaa whaa whaa", Its that most of us use the computer and internet for our buisness needs, for one reason or another we have to, or we feel its cheaper and saves money. All we want is just better, reliable, dependable internet connectivity and network functionality. This is a tech support forum, so expect to hear about problems relating to the topic at hand, be it Cavtel, or Verizon, or Comcast. The reason why you hear some much about Cavtel, is because it so often dies out, and it is also the topic of this particular section...

Lenagainster

Silver Spring, MD
reply to john21804
Well, perryinva, you could be right. Although having no phone service for eight hours in one day makes one wonder what kind of company we are dealing with, a look at the rates and services of the big V makes one appreciate the 12 calling features for $25 and DSL for $25. I went to the V website for a landline, and although they have a "economy" plan for $5.92 plus 8 cents per call, an average of 10 calls per day would make that plan cost over $30 per month with no frills. In order to get any decent plan with at least Caller ID, it's the $28.95 plus another $2 for long distance, with three calling features. Another $3 per month gets 10 calling features. So any way you slice it, V is at least $10 more per month than Cavtel for equivalent land line service.

DSL is at least $5 more per month with a dynamic IP address vs. Cavtel with a static IP. V's FIOS is at least $10 more than Cavtel's DSL if one has a qualifying phone package.

Now that the outage has been fixed, our tempers have cooled, and after taking a hard look at the $$$$$$$$$, I'll hang in there unless it gets really bad.

Lena

tgill430

join:2004-10-27
Baltimore, MD
reply to john21804
I just hope it get's better because cavtel could really become
a great company if it got it's shit together