RangerTX7
R.I.P. beloved Trooper dog
Premium Member
join:2004-01-29
Austin, TX

7 recommendations

RangerTX7

Premium Member

[POLL] Which program do you use to copy DVDs?

It's time for the DVD Copying Poll at Broadband Reports. This is the DVD copying survey that counts, so please cast your vote and post your comments!

There are many permutations of DVD copying. The poll is therefore constrained to software which has the ability to burn a DVD. If it cannot burn independently, it's not included here (example: DVD Shrink). Please post combination solutions by using the "Other" category. DVDs contain different types of content: video, audio, or data. They can contain DVD-specific file formats or an ISO image. Some types will play only on a computer, while others will play on a standalone device. Some programs listed cannot burn all the possible types of DVDs.

Copyright protection is not a consideration here. This is a good sized list, which is testament to the popularity of such software. I have eliminated many other software packages which are fully capable of copying DVDs, such as authoring programs, because the copy function is not their primary focus. As always, your choice may not be listed. In that case, choose "other", and then post your preferred program. Thanks for your participation!

Poll
Which program do you use to copy DVDs?

1Click DVD Copy

Ace DVD Copy

Apollo DVD Copy

Backup MyPC (Sonic)

Burn4Free

Burn.Now (Ulead)

Cheetah DVD Burner

Clone DVD (Elaborate Bytes)

Clone DVD (Slysoft)

Copy DVD Pro

Copy To DVD

DeepBurner Pro

Disc Master 2 (InterVideo)

DivXToDVD (VSO)

DUP-DVD

DVD2oneX (Mac)

DVD95Copy

DVD Clone Factory

DVD Cloner 2

DVD Copy 3 (InterVideo)

DVD Copy Decrypter

DVD Copy Pal

DVD Copy Tools

DVD Decrypter

DVD Duplicator

DVDFab

DVD Ripper and Copying Suite

DVD Ripper Copy Pro

DVD Santa

DVD to DVD Copy

DVD Wizard Pro

DVDXCopy

DVDXGold

DVDXRipper

DVDXPlatinum

Easy DVD Copy (Roxio)

EZ DVD Copy

ICopyDVDs2

Linux-based software (please specify)

NTI Backup NOW!

Pinnacle Instant

Popcorn (Roxio - Mac)

Presto! DVD Power Suite

Replicant3

Other (please specify)

Votes:361

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

DVD Copy 3 with AnyDVD running. It's the easiest for me.

inept
join:2001-03-03
Matteson, IL

inept to RangerTX7

to RangerTX7
Dvd Shrink with Power Producer 2 Gold

ctrip
Islam is a Religion of Peace
Premium Member
join:2002-07-16
New Cumberland, PA

1 recommendation

ctrip to RangerTX7

Premium Member

to RangerTX7
said by RangerTX7:

The poll is therefore constrained to software which has the ability to burn a DVD. If it cannot burn independently, it's not included here (example: DVD Shrink).
I use DVD Shrink to burn the movie straight to the DVD.

I think it uses my NERO burning engine though. But however it does it, it copies, decrypts, and burns my DVD movies all within the one simple program.

RangerTX7
Premium Member
Austin, TX

2 edits

1 recommendation

RangerTX7

Premium Member

It does automatically call Nero for the burning process ctrip See Profile which is why I didn't list it as an individual program. Not everybody has Nero installed. Nevertheless, it's a fine program that does a great job and I'm sure we'll see more people mentioning it However, if they vote "other" and fail to post what their alternative approach is, we sort of nullify the benefit of the poll

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane to RangerTX7

Numquam oblita

to RangerTX7

(topic move) [POLL] Which program do you use to copy DVDs?

Moderator Action
The post that was here, and all followups to it, were moved to a new topic .. »[SPLIT] DVD Shrink Question

fegul
Premium Member
join:2004-08-23
united state

fegul to RangerTX7

Premium Member

to RangerTX7

Re: [POLL] Which program do you use to copy DVDs?

CloneDVD for DVD to DVD copies.

WFO
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
San Ramon, CA

WFO to RangerTX7

Premium Member

to RangerTX7
LOL..Other for me. If there was a 1 program do all, I'd use it.

AnyDVD (Slysoft) while using DVDShrink. The burning is done with DVD Decryptor. I could use Nero but that was purchased later.

Some DVDs crash DVD Shrink or convince your computer that you only have a CD player. I always find a work around.

AnyDVD
DVD Shrink
DVD Decryptor

Another program has never been needed.

Portmonkey
My watch stopped
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Southern IL

Portmonkey to RangerTX7

Premium Member

to RangerTX7
DVD Decrypter, then DVD Shrink, then IMG Tool Classic, then finally back to DVD Decrypter for the burn.

weatherman12
join:2001-02-23
Lake Havasu City, AZ

weatherman12 to RangerTX7

to RangerTX7
DVD Shrink is the only way to go. It's really a shame that it is no longer being developed. I would of liked to see it released as open source. Additionally, I think that it should of been included in the poll. If DVD Decrypter got on here, why not DVD Shrink. Besides, does anyone actually use anything besides Nero?

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

1 edit

Merak75 to RangerTX7

MVM

to RangerTX7
I use DVDFab to copy DVD movies. It is one of the few programs that does it all and does it quite well (in my opinion).

I also use CopyToDVD for easy right click and burn option to transfer data files to dvd. But I guess that really isn't copying a DVD. So my vote went for DVDFab.

RangerTX7
Premium Member
Austin, TX

1 edit

2 recommendations

RangerTX7 to weatherman12

Premium Member

to weatherman12
said by weatherman12:

Additionally, I think that it should of been included in the poll. If DVD Decrypter got on here, why not DVD Shrink. Besides, does anyone actually use anything besides Nero?
I've explained my reasoning for not putting DVD Shrink on the poll several times now. I even mentioned it in the introduction. To qualify the program has to be an all-in-one solution. Hybrid solutions are more than welcome by selecting "other" and giving an explanation. DVD Decrypter is included because it is an all-in-one solution; it can directly create ISO files. If I had to illustrate all the possible hybrid solutions available, the poll would be ten times as long as it is now, at minimum. If DVD Shrink gets the majority of mentions it will still be the recommended program in the FAQ, along with the add-on(s) required to allow burning. And to answer your other question, I burn upwards of 200 DVDs a month both professionally and for recreation, and I never use Nero. And obviously, Nero doesn't automatically come with Windows.

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA

2 edits

antiserious to RangerTX7

Premium Member

to RangerTX7

... nevermind ...

Sat_Man
Monotonous Isn't It
Premium Member
join:2001-09-14
Gray Court, SC

Sat_Man to RangerTX7

Premium Member

to RangerTX7
DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink are the two that I use. I voted for DVD Decryptor. As long as they continue to work I'll use those two programs.

imrf
Premium Member
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI

imrf

Premium Member

said by Sat_Man:

DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink are the two that I use.
Same here.
Sunsetstrip
Go Kings
MVM
join:2000-07-08
West Hollywood, CA

Sunsetstrip to RangerTX7

MVM

to RangerTX7

Well I voted for Clone(EB)/DVD43 but I also use DVD Shrink at times,and I have copies of DVD X Platinum,Intervideo's DVD Copy 3,DVD To Dvixx,DVD Decrypter but find Clone very easy and it needs little input to rip

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

1 recommendation

jabarnut to RangerTX7

Premium Member

to RangerTX7
Excellent job on the Poll Ranger!

Like fegul See Profile, I've been using CloneDVD lately on this Computer for straight copies so that's how I voted.

Having several Computers though, I also use and have tried many others including DVDFab, DVD Copy3, DVD Shrink and Nero, and some of the NTI Software I've been partial to over the years also.

Been looking into other Software that friends recommend using (like 1 Click DVD Copy), when I'm bored (Which isn't too often lately).
I'm always up for trying something new.

I'm sure this Poll will give me some more ideas.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni to RangerTX7

MVM

to RangerTX7
Good job on the poll!

Voted other becase I use AnyDvd coupled with Dvd Shrink when there is a rare need to backup a dvd

Cudni

reiko2
Premium Member
join:2001-05-16
Cleveland, OH

reiko2 to RangerTX7

Premium Member

to RangerTX7
Interesting poll- didn't realize there were quite that many choices.

I use CloneDVD (originally frpm Elby), Nero ReCode, and used in the past many others including Shrink/Decrypter/others. But I've found Clone DVD and Nero work easily for me.

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
PRK

Mactron to weatherman12

Premium Member

to weatherman12
said by weatherman12:

Besides, does anyone actually use anything besides Nero?
Yup. Shrink with DVD Shrink, set target as ISO. DVD Decrypter automaticaly comes up and burns them very nicely.
I find it very straight forward compared to Nero.

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

1 recommendation

2kmaro to RangerTX7

to RangerTX7
I voted for DVD Decryptor because that's generally where I start. But I just rip with it. Then I use DVD Shrink to reauthor as required, and finally I use Nero Burning ROM 6 to make the burn.

I have some of the other tools available "just in case", and those include AnyDVD and even pre-law-suit copies of DVDXCopy and DVDXCopy Platinum (still unopened, in its box).

Bulldawg
join:2001-02-14
Harwood Heights, IL

1 edit

Bulldawg to RangerTX7

to RangerTX7
DVD Shrink,Nero.

But whatever works is Great
Marckus0513
Just Because
join:2003-01-11
Vernon, VT

Marckus0513 to RangerTX7

to RangerTX7
I use DVD Shrink...and DVD decryptor

strmchaxsr
Premium Member
join:2002-04-14
Hilliard, OH

strmchaxsr to RangerTX7

Premium Member

to RangerTX7
Thanks for the poll. I had no idea there were so many choices.

nfixit2004
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
Brooklyn, NY

nfixit2004 to 2kmaro

Premium Member

to 2kmaro
said by 2kmaro:

I voted for DVD Decryptor because that's generally where I start. But I just rip with it. Then I use DVD Shrink to reauthor as required, and finally I use Nero Burning ROM 6 to make the burn.

I have some of the other tools available "just in case", and those include AnyDVD and even pre-law-suit copies of DVDXCopy and DVDXCopy Platinum (still unopened, in its box).
Iam with 2kmaro, I start with dvd decryptor and finish with nero(through dvd shrink) I also use NTI cd & dvd-maker from time to time

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to RangerTX7

Premium Member

to RangerTX7
"Other (please specify)"

Another vote for DVD Shrink here

JohnQPublic6
Premium Member
join:2002-03-22
Xanadu

JohnQPublic6 to RangerTX7

Premium Member

to RangerTX7
DVD Shrink and Nero
slyjones4461
join:2004-01-02
Holtville, CA

slyjones4461 to RangerTX7

to RangerTX7
I currently use Sonic on my laptop OEM and Nero on the Desktop. I enjoy nero's updates but they take forever.

John8994416
@cpe.net.cable.rogers

John8994416 to RangerTX7

Anon

to RangerTX7
Dvd Shrink

outtatimeiii
Mini Me
Premium Member
join:2000-12-24
Tucson, AZ

outtatimeiii to RangerTX7

Premium Member

to RangerTX7
SmartRipper -> FlasKMPEG or DVD2AVI -> TMPGEnc -> VCDEasy in that order. My process is complicated, but can create high quality SVCD's. Yup, no DVD writer, so I work in the not very widely used SVCD format. I got the method down to an art pretty much, so on a TV, SVCD looks nearly identical to the actual DVD. Only main problem is that it takes nearly 2-3 days of computer time to create one watchable SVCD movie. Theres also the fact that you can only pack around 40-50 minutes per CD, but its not a problem to swap CD's LOL.

Ok, so its not really a 'DVD copy', but it works .