join:2000-07-02
Lakewood, OH

mcfrisch

Holy Smokes SATA-man!

Click for full size
The Board
Click for full size
mmm..mmm...mmm... Toasty!
Well, my heart about stopped this evening as I installed a brand new Maxtor 300 GB S-ATA 150 drive. I opened my box, attached my static strap, removed the drive from the static bag and proceeded to install it. After attaching the SATA cable to the mobo (primary sata head), attaching the power cord to a free accessory plug, and screwwing the drive into the bay, I was ready to rock! Press button and smoke and fire shoot out of the side of the SATA drive. I freaked and pulled out the power cord from the power supply damn quickly. I think my heart actually stopped for a few minutes. After being revived:) (j/k) I went to assess the damage. First things first, the SATA drive was removed from the room (it stinks!) Apprehensively, I pressed the power button. God I love the Windows XP boot screen!;) Lucky for me... nothing else went wrong. Other drives... OK, memory... OK, the lot... OK. So now that you have suffered through my story, you at least deserve a pic or two!

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro

One RMA coming right up!

mcfrisch
Revelare Pecunia
Lakewood, OH

mcfrisch

I only wish I had pics of the flames shooting out the side! Good God!

PliotronX
My Katamari's Bigger Than Your Katamari
join:2000-05-13
Sunland, CA

PliotronX to mcfrisch

to mcfrisch
Wowzers, thanks for the pics, there's craters in that thar silicon!

I don't know what I'd do if it did that with 300Gigs of stuff on it...

fegul
Premium Member
join:2004-08-23
united state

fegul to mcfrisch

Premium Member

to mcfrisch
Yeah, glad it died now, and not when it was filled up!

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to mcfrisch

Premium Member

to mcfrisch
Flame on!

Glad to hear your PC is still working.

howie1
Premium Member
join:2003-04-08
Antarctica

howie1 to mcfrisch

Premium Member

to mcfrisch
That's what you get for overclocking your hard drive!
Actually, I've had good luck with Maxtors... I have one 80GB that's going on 4 years old and another 80GB is 3 years old and they've been 100% trouble-free. I personally have had bad luck with WD and had 2 fail in a short time, 1 almost immediately. I guess everyone has different experiences with hdd/s.

mcfrisch
Revelare Pecunia
Lakewood, OH

mcfrisch

this is my first bad drive experience... I have used WD, Maxtor, IBM, whatnot. I am scared to put the new one in
OHN
join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI

OHN to mcfrisch

to mcfrisch
I hear you man. Recently over a 100 builds in, for the first time my floppy cought on fire. That was my fault though for being in a hurry and misaligning the power connections while inside of the case. In my case even the PSU cables got fried. I ended up getting a new NeoPower. Great excuse for me to upgrade.

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro to howie1

to howie1
said by howie1:

That's what you get for overclocking your hard drive!
Actually, I've had good luck with Maxtors... I have one 80GB that's going on 4 years old and another 80GB is 3 years old and they've been 100% trouble-free. I personally have had bad luck with WD and had 2 fail in a short time, 1 almost immediately. I guess everyone has different experiences with hdd/s.
I think most major brands as WD, Seagate, Maxtor and Hitachi generally put out an exceptionally high quality product. But being mechanical (and electrical) and given the sheer number of units made, all of them are bound to eventually make some that fail. Personally I've had nothing but good luck from the numerous WD drives I've bought over the years, but I have personal acquaintences that have had failures on WD drives. On guy I know had a WD fail, replaced it with another WD and that one failed within 6 months. Sometimes it's just a matter of 'stuff happens'

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to mcfrisch

Premium Member

to mcfrisch
thats the platter servo/head servo controller i.c.
same thing happened to my seagate, except i had 300GB of shit on it.
not as easy to just get the same date code/model number drive and swap the boards as the serial for the drive is encoded on the platters, it wont work at all.
guess im going to wind up paying a huge price to recover the data off the drive.
wonder if its cheaper to just by the recovery machine instead, the prices ive been quoted comes near to the price of the recovery machine.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to mcfrisch

Premium Member

to mcfrisch
Looks like you should consider upgrading your power supply, for something with some higher voltages. (and maybe any other power-related accessories - UPS, whatever it's plugged into, etc.).

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan to mcfrisch

Premium Member

to mcfrisch
Looks like that Resistor R513 may have failed and the arching voltage went through the chip and grounded on that screw.

FWIW you get the same exact drive you may be able to swap logic boards and retrieve the data before shipping it back.

Bada Bing
WVU Mountaineers
Premium Member
join:2001-05-29
Fort Gay, WV

Bada Bing to mcfrisch

Premium Member

to mcfrisch
You didn't hook up both power plugs did you?

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski to mcfrisch

Premium Member

to mcfrisch
You've just learned the basics of Integrated Circuits.

They run on Smoke. As long as you keep the Smoke Inside the chip, all is fine.....

However, if you let the Smoke out of the chip, then it usually stops working !

mcfrisch
Revelare Pecunia
Lakewood, OH

mcfrisch to Bada Bing

to Bada Bing
Click for full size
Supplied Adaptor
said by Bada Bing:

You didn't hook up both power plugs did you?
Huh? I plugged in the power adapter that came with the drive:

There isn't a 4pin connector on the dang thing, just the flat black power receptical. The other end I plugged in to a spare 4pin accessory cable.
mcfrisch

mcfrisch to C0deZer0

to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:

Looks like you should consider upgrading your power supply, for something with some higher voltages. (and maybe any other power-related accessories - UPS, whatever it's plugged into, etc.).
I have a 450 W supply, 1 CD-Rom, 1 DVD-RW, 3 IDE HD, and almost 1 SATA.
confusedsoul
join:2004-09-20
Huron, SD

1 edit

1 recommendation

confusedsoul to mcfrisch

to mcfrisch
Maybe you should see this:

»www.rage3d.com/board/sho ··· 33826265

mcfrisch
Revelare Pecunia
Lakewood, OH

mcfrisch

Amazing! If I get the guts to install another one of these damn things, I will take a video as I turn on the power!