how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jmanos3

join:2001-08-19
Gilbert, AZ

Configuring The MSN Arescom NetDSL 800

There has been a few threads discussing the configuration of the Arescom NetDSL 800 DSL modem. However, I believe that there needs to be a distinction made between those using a 'standard' NetDSL 800 and those using the NetDSL from MSN. This thread is for those who have received the NetDSL from MSN.

I just received my NetDSL 800 from MSN last week. I have been wanting to reconfigure it because I want to change the LAN's IP addressing scheme (IP address range and netmask). However, I have not been able to do so. Here are the details of what I have found while attempting to do so.

MSN has configured the NetDSL to use a base IP address scheme of 192.168.1.x with a netmask of 255.255.255.252. This configuration only allows two IP addresses, 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. The router takes the first address while the device (PC or router) takes the second. If you have a router, which I do, this does not pose a problem. However, if anyone was planning to hookup a hub or switch to the NetDSL so multiple PC's could access it, they are in for a surprise.

MSN has also configured two specific services on the NetDSL: 20 (FTP) and 80 (HTTP). When accessing the ports from the PPP interface, the NetDSL forwards both ports to the device (PC or router) attached, which allows for someone to setup FTP or HTTP services on a PC. When accessing the ports from the LAN interface, you get the NetDSL status page (port 80) but you get a connection refused when accessing FTP (port 20).

I did a port scan on both the PPP and LAN interfaces and no other ports are open (I did a range of 1-65535 on the port scan).

I have attempted to use the NetDSL 800 Manager software to configure the NetDSL 800. However, it never finds the modem. I believe this is a result of the telent service (port 23) not being active on the NetDSL. Using telent, I can access a PC that is behind the NetDSL from a PC on the Internet. Therefore, we can assume that the NetDSL is not blocking the port for normal access.

I also attempted to accessing the configuration by using FTP with PASV using ports 20 and 80 but to no avail.

In a last ditch effort to find out how I could get access to the NetDSL configuration, I called MSN support and requested they help me through a configuration change. The reason I submitted was that my work VPN service also used the 192.168.1.x IP space and I was having problems accessing network resources with both the VPN and NetDSL using the same address space. The level 1 tech support person I talked to said that he thought I could use the Arescom software (NetDSL Manager) to do so. I asked about the 'password' and he said that the default one had not been changed. Since it was clear that he had not dealt with configuring the NetDSL before, I played dumb and said thanks, I will look into it.

Considering all of the findings listed above, I am not sure that the NetDSL sent out by MSN can be re-configured. The only thought I have left would be a special FTP login sequence on either the PPP or LAN interfaces but I am not familiar enough with FTP to be sure.

If anyone has any thoughts, I would appreciate it. Also, I hope the above info can be of use to those trying to do the same thing I am.

James

MarshaJ773

join:2001-04-24
Chicago, IL

Click for full size
Click for full size
First, the handiest version of the NetDSL manager is probably 5.2.1 »bespin.org/~merwin/arescom/NetDS···ager.exe
The MSN version has this first image for its LAN configuration
The Arescom 5.2.1 version has the extra DHCP and other features available.

MarshaJ773

Chicago, IL
reply to jmanos3

The one thing the MSN version of manager has is a tab to turn on multi user mode... it can be done via telnet with

set multi_user on

This is my modem's configuration file that supports multiple local IPs.
(password and modem names replaced by @@@@s, these are configured via the Manager itself
The VPI and VCI are set for my ameritech account )

"Configuration Profile for NetDSL Router"

[General Configuration]
Profile Version=5.0
Router Version=ND860UE-MSN, ver 5.3.1-MSN. Thu Nov 23 04:32:19 2000
Router Name=@@@@@@@@
Router Password= @@@@@@@@@@@
Primary DNS=0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS=0.0.0.0

[LAN Interface]
LAN IP Address=192.168.1.1
LAN Subnet Mask=255.255.255.0
Private IP Mode=0
Private IP Address=0
Private Subnet Mask=0
DHCP Mode=0
DHCP Type=0
Lease Time Days=7
Lease Time Hours=0
Lease Time Mins=0
Reserved IP Count=3
Reserved IP Addresses0=6
Reserved IP Addresses1=35
Reserved IP Addresses2=55
DHCP from WAN=0
RIP on LAN=0

[DSL Configuration]
DSL Line Mode=.5
PPTP=0

[ATM PVC #0]
ATM PVC Name=atmpvc0
ATM PVC Index=0
VPI Number=0
VCI Number=35
Bridge Enabled=0
OAM F5 Timer=0
Encapsulation=5
VCMUX=0
Service Type=0
PCR=1500
MCR=0
ICR=0
MBR=0
Inarp Period=0
Remote IP Address=0.0.0.0
Inarp Enabled=0
Unnumbered=0
Local IP Address=0.0.0.0
Local Subnet Mask=0.0.0.0
NAT IP Address=0.0.0.0
NAT IP Specified=1
Auth Type=0
PPP UserName=@@@@@@@@
PPP Password= @@@@@@@@@@@@@
RAS UserName=
RAS Password=
RIP=0

[ATM PVC]
ATM PVC Number=1

[IP Routing Table]
IP Routing Number=0

[IP Filter Table]
IP Filter Number=0

[Bridge Filter Table]
Bridge Filter Number=0

[Port Mapping Table]
Port Mapping Number=0
App View Numbers=0

[Auto Forwarding Table]
Auto Forwarding Number=0

jmanos3

Gilbert, AZ

Do you have a specific 'MSN' version of the NetDSL 800 manager? I did not receive the software with the MSN package. I downloaded the NetDSL manager from a site listed on a previous post.

MarshaJ773

Chicago, IL

The non-MSN is handier... there is a post showing a difference in two screens, but it hasn't been released yet due to the attached pictures.

jmanos3

Gilbert, AZ
reply to jmanos3

Ok, I tried the 'MSN' version of the NetDSL Manager and it did not locate the modem. In reviewing the network traffic, I saw that the manager was doing a broadcast on port 9833 in an attempt to locate the modem. However, the modem did not respond.

I am going to try to force the manager to use port 20 instead of using port 9833 and see what happens.

jmanos3

Gilbert, AZ
reply to jmanos3

Ok, I tried the 'MSN' version of the NetDSL Manager and it did not locate the modem. In reviewing the network traffic, I saw that the manager was doing a broadcast on port 9833 in an attempt to locate the modem. However, the modem did not respond.

I am going to try to force the manager to use port 20 instead of using port 9833 and see what happens.

jmanos3

Gilbert, AZ
reply to jmanos3

I attempted to try and use a different port with the NetDSL manager but there are no configuration files or registry settings that can be changed. I also tried to pass the port in on the startup to no avail.

I called Arescom to see if they knew of a way to change the port used by the manager software and they said that it could not be changed.

The question remains, how is MSN configuring the modem? My best guess right now is that they have a modified version of the manager software which uses a different port than 9833.

It looks as if I will need to call MSN back and see if they will be willing to assist. I doubt it though.

onegulin

@avaya.com

Do you think MSN can have a "hidden" www form on the modem?
Something like »192.168.1.1/XXXsetupXXX.html

jmanos3

Gilbert, AZ

At one time, I did try to see if there was an admin page that may be served up. However, after trying about 10 different things, I gave up on it as there were too many combinations.

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium
join:2001-09-05
Boca Raton, FL

MarshaJ773 and jmanos3

What are the Firmware Versions on your MSN Modem? Mine Says 5.4.0 VUE_MSN with a date of July 11th 2001. I have been experiencing the same problems. Can't seem to get into the modem at all. That is, during the 5% of the time it does work.

jmanos3

Gilbert, AZ

My NetDSL 800 shows the same firmware version - 5.4.0-VUE-MSN.

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium
Boca Raton, FL

I would be willing to bet that is the reason. I am not sure if it is just smoke, but a couple of the techs I have talked to said that the modem is configured, then the "key" is locked inside. If there is a problem they won't reconfigure, they will just send a new modem configured differently.

slightly OT, but the first quote I got after posting to this site was "There is always free cheese in a mouse trap." Now I can't get that out of my head every time I have to call MSN tech support.

jmanos3

Gilbert, AZ

I love the quote. It is perfect.

The reason I chose the MSN/Qwest setup was for the learning experience. I have Cox@Home cable service and I wanted to see DSL and cable side by side. The experience has been worth it.

I called MSN today and canceled my service. When asked why, I explained the fact that I have a home alarm system which is interfering with the DSL service and that the person who took my order (Qwest Rep) never mentioned this as an issue. They understood.

I will be writing this experience up as an ISP post over the next few days.

MarshaJ773

Chicago, IL
reply to jmanos3

The top of the web page says Ver5.2.0,
but the info on the webpage says 5.3.1-MSN
in telnet with 'show system'
ND860UE-MSN version 5.3.1-MSN Thu Nov 23 04:32:19 2000
with 'show sysinfo'
Vendor: Arescom
Model: ND860UE-MSN (Hardware)
Version: 5.3.1-MSN (Software version)

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium
Boca Raton, FL

I wish I could get cable. I would drop MSN/QWEST in a heartbeat.

Marsha
you are lucky. It "appears" the older firmware is not as locked. Want to trade modems? I'll throw in 200AOL cds as well?

J_P_K

join:2001-06-24
Tacoma, WA

Why get involved with the MSN product? I just Got my Qwest DSL installed on 9/11 with Blarg as ISP. Qwest sent me a Cisco 678 and I'm up and running. The cheese wasn't free. But i'm only paying a few $ a month more than I would be for MSN..

Look at the other available ISPs.

~john

chico

@uswest.net
reply to jmanos3

I just got my Arescom 800 from MSN this week, and I am having the same problem. I can't connect to the darn thing with telnet etc. I can bring up the web page, but there is no way to reconfigure. I have tried the netdsl 800 manager and it doesn't detect the router. Is there any way to change the firmware perhaps? Or does anyone know how to access this things configuration. My firmware version is 5.4.0-VUE-MSN... This sucks.

leechboy5

join:2000-09-26
Mechanicsburg, PA

On these Arescoms, you have to make sure your IP address for your NIC is 192.168.1.xxx but make sure the last number is not 1. The IP of the modem is usually 192.168.1.1. you should be able to telnet into the modem..

MSNSheep

@uswest.net
reply to jmanos3

It may be configured from the dark side.
»cpeconfig.dsl.msn.com/english
cpecfg.exe and cpecfg.ini are in the root of the MSN cd.
I cannot get DCC send to work in mIRC, a windows client for Internet Relay Chat. MSN, the f*#$ers, said to contact the mIRC client for assistance. I told them I am an expert on configuring the client and have done so, with other ISP's. MSN also referred me to Arescom for help for MSN's proprietary hardware, arrgg. I avoided asking about NAT information, possibly avoiding a heart attack of a unqualified technician. Sniffing revealed little.
»192.168.1.1/msninfo.htm returns
17269338@msndsl.netUpUp

GEBrown

join:2001-08-27
Littleton, CO
reply to leechboy5

My neighbor got his Arescom from MSN/Qwest this past week. Over the weekend we tried everything mentioned in the above posts with NO SUCCESS. Well, if we configure his PC as 192.168.1.2, then it works, but he has two more computers to get up and going.

HTTP to 192.168.1.1 displays a page with all the settings, but no way to change them. This was using the browser manager referenced above.

Telnet to 192.168.1.1 is refused.

Only one positive note: With the single PC hooked up to the Arescom, we got 538kb/sec download speed from DSLReports speed test.

Apparently, the newest batch of Arescoms being sent out are locked down.

Mr_Whipples

join:2001-10-01
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to jmanos3

MSN broadband is using a whats called a "walled garden" aproach to new subscribers. The Qwest migration customers will retain their old method of connection and are not withing the walled garden. The Arescom new customers are recieving is not actually and arescom 800, they are an arescom 860. The 860 is specially made for MSN and is not configuable by the user. About the only thing you can do with it is reset it to the factory defaults by going to 192.168.1.1/reset.html

One more thing, because of the "walled garden," the arescom 860 is the only DSL modem that you will be able to use with new MSN DSL service. If you have any more questions about the arescom, post them up. I've found out quite a bit about it and I'll see what I can do for answers.

tacobender

join:2001-10-02
Walla Walla, WA
reply to onegulin

192.168.1.1/index.html
192.168.1.1/reset.html

GEBrown

join:2001-08-27
Littleton, CO
reply to Mr_Whipples

Whipples,

Is there any way to change the subnet mask from 30 bits for the DHCP server? My friend would like to run 3 computers in his home. He will buy the LinkSys 4-port router if "No".

Thanks in advance

sanfranciscian

join:2001-03-01
San Francisco, CA
reply to Mr_Whipples

Mr_Whipples,

1. How do you change MTU from 1490 to 1492?

2. How do you remove firewall?

Thanks.

Mr_Whipples

Beverly Hills, CA
reply to jmanos3

GEBrown, the answer is No.

sanfranciscian, you can't do either one.

The arescom 860 is not designed for the high end user who likes to tinker with settings. The built in firewall on the 860's has already been disabled. Anyone that has signed up for MSNDSL powered by qwest (Not including cusotmers that had previous DSL servive with qwest and migrated to MSN)will be contained within the walled garden. The walled garden will act as a firewall, but I'm not exactly sure how it will be set up.

Hope that helps.

dwhit

join:2001-10-07
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Mr_Whipples

Thanks for the info...BUT I just got my QWEST/MSN DSL service two weeks ago, and cannot get the damn thing to connect to the net....Arescom modem. Cannot get it to hook in using USB or a nic card....

Any help? MSN/QWEST have been absoultly no help at all.... I have been 'esclated' twice now...and am told another three day wait...at least!

This sucks...my dial up will be turned off on Wed, so any help would be greatly appreciated....
Please email me with any info/help...
davidw@satcom.whit.org

thanks
David

sanfranciscian

join:2001-03-01
San Francisco, CA
reply to Mr_Whipples

Mr_Whipples,

Just want to share with you and others who want to disable firewall in Arescom 800 modem.

Please look into this »bespin.org/~merwin/arescom/
I need expertiese ppl to analyze and post back the opinion.
Thanks.

Chico

@161.225.x.x

Unfortunately like mr whipples was saying, the new msn arescom dsl modem is an arescom 860 not 800, and neither the netdsl manager nor telnet are able to connect to the modem. I am really annoyed with this thing.. and am seriously considering finding a different isp becuase this modem sucks so bad.

Mr_Whipples

Beverly Hills, CA
reply to jmanos3

dwhit, make sure to leave the Arescom hooked up and trained all the time. As long as the lights on the Arescom look good, there isn't much more that you can do. I'm asuming that your probably getting the "modem not plugged in correctly" error when your trying to install the software (I very common, missleading, and anoying error message). Basically, the server needs to be reconfigured before you'll be able to connect. You'll want to try and re-install the software periodically. Once the problem has been taken care of, the install should got through ok.