spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hez

@comcast.net

my ipod photo won't turn off!

i'm hoping someone can help. i tried looking through the posts but found nothing similar.

my almost new ipod photo, as of today, is not turning off when i press the play/pause button. however, when i got it home and popped it into my bose docking station, i was able to shut ot off with the remote.

i find this incredibly annoying. has anyone experienced this? do you think i should reset?

thanks for reading.
hez

Diesel0
Premium
join:2003-08-21
Canada
Are you holding down the play/pause button? It takes about 3 seconds. If that does not work then you will have to reset it. Hold down the center and menu buttons for about 10 seconds.

hez

@comcast.net
yeah, that's what i'm saying. i hold the play/pause button down FOREVER and nothing happens. this is my second ipod and i have never had this happen. do you know what causes it? i will try to reset. hope that works!

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Does Pause/Play work for those 2 functions, just not shutting off?

hez

@comcast.net
that is correct. they work as pause/play.

i haven't tried the reset yet. do i lose anything when i reset?

Jameson
Premium
join:2004-05-28
united state
kudos:1
said by hez :

do i lose anything when i reset?
no.

SeptimusB

@cwjamaica.com
reply to hez
I had the same problem.
Resetting works like a charm.
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the Bose Sound Dock because I had precisely the same issues.

reply to hez
i had this same problem, typed 'my ipod won't turn off' into google, came to this web site, and the problem was solved, which got me out of a very bad mood
thanks

hez

@comcast.net
reply to hez
so. for future help, i never got a chance to reset my ipod. but, it ran out of battery power in that time and when i recharged it it worked fine. silly ipod!

thanks for everyone's help!

cookeys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Orland Park, IL
reply to hez
Mine doesn't always shut off when I have it docked, but it's usually pretty cooperative when it isn't.

hez

@comcast.net
yeah, it ONLY shut off when it was docked because i could use the bose remote control.

hvacigar

@merix.com
I just had the same problem, and I do not use any dock with my ipod photo other than the one supplied by apple. I had to reset. This sucks. I noticed the other day that there is a new firmware for the ipod photo. I have not installed it yet, but I wonder if it takes care of this.

cookeys
Premium,MVM
Orland Park, IL
My wife's resets all on its own sometimes. I'll turn it on and the apple will display and then it comes on. Maybe I'll give that update a try too.

cookeys
Premium,MVM
Orland Park, IL
I think that the update is only an update for the shuffle and Nano. I read somewhere that the software is the same for all other iPods.

BS1978

@193.108.x.x
reply to hez
I have experienced exactly the same problem as yourself. Again, if anyone knows how to remedy this I would be grateful to find out!!

britt the twit

@stolaf.edu

hey it worked!

thank you so very much! i lost my manual so i couldn't figure out how to turn my 1 month-old unresponsive ipod off. you're the best!!

DavisPhotog
Flyingphotog
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-26
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to hez

Re: my ipod photo won't turn off!

This may sound stupid, but are you sure the hold switch wasn't on? You can plug a remote into the iPod, and even though the hold swich is activated on the iPod itself, you can control the iPod with the remote (which has its own hold switch).

amelia_g

@belrs3.nsw.optusnet.
reply to SeptimusB
I have the Bose Sound Dock and my ipod has won't turn off either... has anyone with the sound dock had problems with photos disappearing? Sometimes I'll take it out of the dock and all the photos have gone.

Mukpoo

@cpe.net.cable.rogers
I just had the same problem with my ipod, resetting works like a charm. I found that while it wasnt shutting off that the battery drained very fast. But all's well that ends well.

itsartemis

@84-48-67.nextgentel.
I had the same problem, and the reset worked for me as well. I also use a sound station.
Thanks a lot for your help!

chRoniX10
Peace sells, but who's buying?
Premium
join:2004-05-22
Chatsworth, CA
reply to hez
My Ipod Photo also did that a few times, unfortunately a reset did not work. Every time it does that I just don't charge it and wait until the battery dies. Next morning it resets itself as soon as I start charging it and all is fine. I think it must be some kind of glitch or something.
--
~Smooth Operator~

sheba1

@64.66.x.x
reply to SeptimusB
I appreicate the post--I had the same problem with my 30 Photo not turning off--I reset it and it works fine now. I have been using my Ipod with the NEO unit, which plugs into your factory car stereo XM dock and works with your steering wheel controls...its a great thing to have! My ipod goes into pause mode every now and then....still trying to figure out that..

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to hez
Players with Hard Drives are going to have occasional errors. But why doing certain things would cause a problem might be partly due to a bug in the software, and the individual electronics of a given player. I imagine that some players are just sorta "lemons", so to speak. All you have to know is how chips are made, in enough detail, and you will see why this is.

I used to build the lens for a photolithography stepper machine (the machine that is in the primary process for the manufacture of integrated circuits). I sorta know how there are inconsistenicies between chips, no matter how hard the fabs try to make them, and do their PR spin.

Just some minor info for you guys.
--
I support freedom, something that our government is betraying, thumbs up to the EFF. Learn the truth about Taiwan, they've never belonged or been part of Red China, ignore the lies to the opposite.

newbieSR

@rr.com
reply to chRoniX10
My 60GB photo ipod wouldn't turn off either! I use an Altec Lansing portable dock stereo. I took it out of the stereo dock, still couldn't get it to turn off. Let battery drain. Connected to charger.. now I can't get it to turn ON! whether it is in the dock or not. Help!

FC_SFO

@telia.com
reply to hez
I use my Ipod in the USA most of the time, but I also take it with me when I travel. I've had the "can't turn it off" problem twice, and both times it's immediately after charging it using an EU (200V) power source. The reset works like a charm, but I think the power source must have something to do with it.

royboy81

join:2002-02-01
Grapevine, TX
I find that I can lock up 20G iPod Photo by going in to the Music Quiz game... that's just weird. I have also found that not using it for a couple of days causes it to start up with the Apple symbol... nothing is lost, but still somethings not right.

DavisPhotog
Flyingphotog
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-26
Santa Rosa, CA

1 edit
said by royboy81:

I have also found that not using it for a couple of days causes it to start up with the Apple symbol... nothing is lost, but still somethings not right.
Nope, that's how it's supposed to work. It's actually a battery saving shutoff, which is an improvement over the previous generations of iPods.

After a period of inactivity, it shuts iself off (though still not completely), and has to 'boot' back up when you go to use it again. The previous 'always on' method was trickle-draining batteries, so they came up with this to help spare battery life.
--
My vision, My gallery. --- Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgaben-übertragungsgesetz. One word. Look it up.

Macca78

@iinet.net.au
reply to hez
I had the same problem with mine (60GB), just reset it and it works fine. It also has the bug where it randomly decides to pause itself, even when hold is enabled. Its not a vibration thing with the HDD, 'cause it'll do it even when its been sitting on a table for 20 minutes.

I've never noticed any problems with my 4GB Mini, just the photo. I havent used it in the car with the Alpine unit for months as I've been overseas, the only accessory has been the offical Apple camera adaptor for backing up my CF cards from my camera.

Off topic, but has anyone noticed that the last few versions of iTunes on Windows have been very unstable?

fatty88_8

@qwest.net
reply to jake gyllenhaal
ditto

cpeter203
Premium
join:2002-01-02
My ipod Photo 20gig, just purchased 2 weeks ago won't shut off. The battery finaly died. Using the apple charger my ipod wound not accept a charge, just a blank screen. The next day all prepared to return it to the store I try one more time to charge it. It worked, ipod reset itself and began charging.

This shut off problem recure often? I'm I better off retuning it?

Peter