share rss forum feed

chRoniX10
Peace sells, but who's buying?
Premium
join:2004-05-22
Chatsworth, CA
reply to hez

Re: my ipod photo won't turn off!

My Ipod Photo also did that a few times, unfortunately a reset did not work. Every time it does that I just don't charge it and wait until the battery dies. Next morning it resets itself as soon as I start charging it and all is fine. I think it must be some kind of glitch or something.
--
~Smooth Operator~

sheba1

@64.66.x.x
reply to SeptimusB

I appreicate the post--I had the same problem with my 30 Photo not turning off--I reset it and it works fine now. I have been using my Ipod with the NEO unit, which plugs into your factory car stereo XM dock and works with your steering wheel controls...its a great thing to have! My ipod goes into pause mode every now and then....still trying to figure out that..

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to hez

Players with Hard Drives are going to have occasional errors. But why doing certain things would cause a problem might be partly due to a bug in the software, and the individual electronics of a given player. I imagine that some players are just sorta "lemons", so to speak. All you have to know is how chips are made, in enough detail, and you will see why this is.

I used to build the lens for a photolithography stepper machine (the machine that is in the primary process for the manufacture of integrated circuits). I sorta know how there are inconsistenicies between chips, no matter how hard the fabs try to make them, and do their PR spin.

Just some minor info for you guys.
--
I support freedom, something that our government is betraying, thumbs up to the EFF. Learn the truth about Taiwan, they've never belonged or been part of Red China, ignore the lies to the opposite.

newbieSR

@rr.com
reply to chRoniX10

My 60GB photo ipod wouldn't turn off either! I use an Altec Lansing portable dock stereo. I took it out of the stereo dock, still couldn't get it to turn off. Let battery drain. Connected to charger.. now I can't get it to turn ON! whether it is in the dock or not. Help!

FC_SFO

@telia.com
reply to hez

I use my Ipod in the USA most of the time, but I also take it with me when I travel. I've had the "can't turn it off" problem twice, and both times it's immediately after charging it using an EU (200V) power source. The reset works like a charm, but I think the power source must have something to do with it.

royboy81

join:2002-02-01
Grapevine, TX

I find that I can lock up 20G iPod Photo by going in to the Music Quiz game... that's just weird. I have also found that not using it for a couple of days causes it to start up with the Apple symbol... nothing is lost, but still somethings not right.

DavisPhotog
Flyingphotog
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-26
Santa Rosa, CA

1 edit

said by royboy81:

I have also found that not using it for a couple of days causes it to start up with the Apple symbol... nothing is lost, but still somethings not right.
Nope, that's how it's supposed to work. It's actually a battery saving shutoff, which is an improvement over the previous generations of iPods.

After a period of inactivity, it shuts iself off (though still not completely), and has to 'boot' back up when you go to use it again. The previous 'always on' method was trickle-draining batteries, so they came up with this to help spare battery life.
--
My vision, My gallery. --- Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgaben-übertragungsgesetz. One word. Look it up.

Macca78

@iinet.net.au
reply to hez

I had the same problem with mine (60GB), just reset it and it works fine. It also has the bug where it randomly decides to pause itself, even when hold is enabled. Its not a vibration thing with the HDD, 'cause it'll do it even when its been sitting on a table for 20 minutes.

I've never noticed any problems with my 4GB Mini, just the photo. I havent used it in the car with the Alpine unit for months as I've been overseas, the only accessory has been the offical Apple camera adaptor for backing up my CF cards from my camera.

Off topic, but has anyone noticed that the last few versions of iTunes on Windows have been very unstable?

fatty88_8

@qwest.net
reply to jake gyllenhaal

ditto

cpeter203
Premium
join:2002-01-02

My ipod Photo 20gig, just purchased 2 weeks ago won't shut off. The battery finaly died. Using the apple charger my ipod wound not accept a charge, just a blank screen. The next day all prepared to return it to the store I try one more time to charge it. It worked, ipod reset itself and began charging.

This shut off problem recure often? I'm I better off retuning it?

Peter

DavisPhotog
Flyingphotog
Premium,MVM
Santa Rosa, CA

What happens when you try to reset it using the method above?

bnm88

@adelphia.net

my ipod color 60 with photo does hasn't been shutting off as of late, so i tried the reset method, it works for now but i would love to find a permanent solution, thanks though.

mahru

join:2005-10-01
Thorold, ON
reply to hez

Same problem here. My brand new iPod video/photo isn't turning off when I hold the Play/Pause button - even after I reset it.

Great....

Lynch
Premium
join:2000-06-15
Minneapolis, MN

I've got the same issue w/my 60g Video Ipod. The only thing I can find that works consistently is by going to the main menu and powering off from there.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to hez

It really hacks me off seeing how Apple gets away with such a shoddy product.

DavisPhotog
Flyingphotog
Premium,MVM
Santa Rosa, CA

That's a pretty blanket statement. They manufacture more mp3 players than any other company, so there are bound to be problems. You just hear about them because there's a larger number of errors, with production being so massive and all.

It's widely accepted in Psychology that people usually don't provide feedback/reviews/opinion unless it's bad.
--
My vision, My gallery. Known formerly as zakooldude.

newdeepdan

join:2004-04-11
New York, NY
reply to hez

I guess I'm one of the few that has a working video ipod with no problems... seriously none what so ever, it shuts off when I want to, and it syncs fine with all my computers... I find it so weird to hear so many complaints when I'm on the apple message board.
--
...that's the way this wheel keeps working now...

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21

said by newdeepdan:

I guess I'm one of the few that has a working video ipod with no problems... seriously none what so ever, it shuts off when I want to, and it syncs fine with all my computers... I find it so weird to hear so many complaints when I'm on the apple message board.
you just don't hear all about all the people with no problems.
--
DSLR tools
Journal

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to DavisPhotog

They are about 60% of the market, IIRC (though I don't have current stats, admittedly), but they are 98% of the problems reported on this site alone. In fact, I have only seen 2 or 3 posts about minor to major problems with other branded players here at DSLR.

Now, for sure, this is just DSLR, but hell, even Cowon has their own forum for owners of their product (who else does that, you tell me???) and I see very little problems reported on their website, though there are indeed some.

I think that it is fair to say that the iPods are shoddy, it is my honest and carefully considered opinion from all of my online activity and inspection of the product, and, after all, I *am* an iPod owner, though I wish I had something else...
--
China and North Korea are still very evil repressive regimes. Boycott China if at all possible! Protect Taiwan and The Philippines from Chinese agression and missles that they keep lobbbing at them. Time for Bush to go!

DeeC
Premium
join:2000-09-01
the world
kudos:1

1 edit

There are MORE ipod owners than Cowon, iRiver, Sandisk and Creative, so thus, by common sense, you are going to have more problems since there are millions, millions more ipods and ipod owners out there.......

And to think about it, DSLR doesn't have that many complaints....a few in here , and 1 or 2 in the ATM forum......but that's it...... out of how many ipod owners world wide? Like 35-40 million? These few, or hundered, or even thousands out of 40MIL are nothing......

Most of them are becaue people DO NOT READ the manual on how to reset the device, or likely didn't read their Bose or Sound dock to know that it can't be turned off while in the dock....... believe me, so many of the problems are just because people refuse to read anything.

DeeC
Premium
the world
reply to signmeuptoo

signmuptoo, again, I'll buy your "shoddy" ipod that you spend 99% of your time complaining about just to get you to move on to another.....geeze.....

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Sure. And I would sell it to you, but now my wife overseas wants it!!! She thinks it's cool, heh.

Don't get me wrong. I love my iPod, I just think that Apple should be doing a better job. At least mine is made in an aluminum chassis, that was a great step in the right direction on one aspect.

That's one of the reasons that I like the Cowon, it also is made with Aluminum, rather than plastic.

Also, I grant you that most of the problems are because peeps don't RTFM, which I too find annoying, but it is normal. Peeps don't like having to pour over hour to hours of information to attempt to solve a problem, and most of the peeps that post in DSLR are that type of person. Many don't even have the wisdom to realize that they can do this, and they have more trust in the members here that some impersonal instructions to help them.

This is not to say that you are wrong, just that human nature will always prevail, and any wise person has to take that into account.

No offense taken, aliasrlz. You guys are right in many ways, I just want to see Apple ramp up the quality more, and I also want to see them open up the iPods' database system so that it is easy (if someone WANTS to do it) not have to use an iTunes database type install system, but that they can make the iPod work independant of it. I would like the iPods a lot better if they did!

Sorry, but I personally don't think I am asking too much, because only a moderate percentage of people would take advantage of that, but those people would be very happy instead of angry. Since most folks like iTunes, Apple wouldn't be threatened, and Steve needs to realize that.

Hell, even IBM realize that opening up their standard would help them stay in business in the long run, and it worked. Otherwise, we wouldn't have our cheap PCs as we know it today...
--
China and North Korea are still very evil repressive regimes. Boycott China if at all possible! Protect Taiwan and The Philippines from Chinese agression and missles that they keep lobbbing at them. Time for Bush to go!

Stewart D

@cox.net

I just started having this same problem. Can't turn off my 30GB video. Resetting it isn't helping. I've reset it 5 times already within the last hour with no luck. I must put it in the Bose Sound Dock and turn it off with the remote.

DeeC
Premium
the world
reply to signmeuptoo

People use ipods without iTunes ALL THE TIME.... Ephpod, Copypod, Ipod Explorer, etc.... there are tons of third party software products to use to do the same things as iTunes.......

Again, no one even bothers to take the 2 nano seconds to look it upon Google or Yahoo..... People want to complain because they are too dumb or lazy to do a tiny bit of research, that's all.......

goodluck.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

I know that. But, friend, those programs often don't work right. For some reason, I can't get Ephpod to work right with my iPod. Wouldn't it be nicer if you just didn't need such programs?

Also, I have had problems getting the programs that work in Linux to work right. Sometimes I have to totally redo the iPod by rebuilding it. And I can't use Ephpod in Windows and gtkpod in Linux at the same time (I don't mean simultaniously, but that I can't use Ephpod without it making gtkpod not work for some reason, some issue with the iPod database.

All your statements are true, but so are mine. That is our middle ground, neither of us are wrong. I just find that using the iPod to be a PITA. It will be quite a while before I can afford it, but I will get a Cowon.

In any event, now that I have XM radio, I use my iPod less.
--

Stewart D

@cox.net

I also just noticed that now that I'm having this problem the iPod also isn't playing correctly in my Bose Sound Dock. Only the left speaker is working while the right speaker makes a squeking sound.

I know that it's not the Bose doc because my girlfriend's iPod works fine in it.

I'm gonna let the battery drain down all the way. Hopefully, all will be well when I bring it back up.

DeeC
Premium
the world
reply to signmeuptoo

The ipod wasn't designed for Linux..... anytime you take a product and try to make it into something it wasn't designed for, EXPECT PROBLEMS....... just don't complain when they happen .....

Like buying a car and expecting it to fly .......

Weird, I have a 3G ipod, older than your mini..... use with it iTunes and Copypod ....no issues. The only time I even remotely had a problem was when I didn't update the firmware on the 3G or update iTunes..... no other time (knock, knock on wood) ....:)

I'll wait until Sirius is intergrated into the ipod ...instead of having yet another portable something to carry around....:p

stopme

@c3-0.80w-ubr4.nyr-80
reply to hez

Hey all, Thanks to this thread this problem one ate at me for about 5 minutes. Mine is a 60G Video and the problem started when I took it off my sound dock while it was playing. Used ear phones for a bit then tried to shut it off, nothing. A quick reset (which I learned to do from you all) and I am back in business. Thanks!

Freakinanonyed

@37.xx.198.adsl.snet.
reply to hez

:(:(:(:(:(:(I am so Po'd cause my freggin' ipod video won't shut off. Ive formatted it reseted it everything. I just think its a piece of crap

a

@comcast.net
reply to hez

:D:D THANKS SO MUCH!!!! My ipod will finally turn off yay!!!!!!