spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bbambocci
join:2005-09-07
Laurel, MD

bbambocci

wireless router problems with Cavalier dsl

I just recently got Cavalier DSL. I was sent a Paradyne (model# 6381)bridge/router for my DSL connection. I am using it with a linksys b broadband wireless router

How can I configure my wireless router to work with my DSL bridge/router? I have added the static ip address, gateway, and dns addresses that cavalier has provided to the wireless router, but I can't ping the gateway or the dns servers. I have even tried to spoof the mac address of the network card on my pc to the router. Still nothing!!

I tried to call the no help desk of Cavalier, but of course most of you are aware that they do not support wireless networks.

Does anyone have any ideas? I was also thinking of replacing the paradyne modem with a wireless modem router. Does anyone know of any that work well with Cavalier, or am I just going to have to accept the fact that I can't have a wireless network as long as I am a customer of Cavalier.

TominDerwood
Tom Am I
join:2000-10-23
Derwood, MD

TominDerwood

I am not sure if the problem you are having is with setting up a wireless network in your house or if you can not get any connectivity using your Linksys router.

I presume that if you connect your computer directly to the Paradyne DSL modem you have connectivity?

Please elaborate and perhaps I can help. I have a Linksys router and access point and have set up a network at home without any problems.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to bbambocci

Premium Member

to bbambocci
Did you have a different device initially hooked to the 6381 before putting the wireless router on it?? If so, it make take 8 to 16 hours for the mac address to clear out of their gateway. If your router allows, try spoofing the mac address of the first device you had hooked to the modem.
bbambocci
join:2005-09-07
Laurel, MD

bbambocci to TominDerwood

to TominDerwood
I was able to connect to the paradyne dsl without any problems. It is only when I try to hook it up to the linksys that I have a problem. I reconfigured the setting in the computer to get the staic IP address from the router. I talked to linksys and they seem to believe I have everything installed properly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
bbambocci

bbambocci to ropeguru

to ropeguru
I did try to spoof the mac address, but to no success. I had my home pc attached to the 6381. I will try to attach it to the wireless router again and wait the 8 to 16 hours to see if the mac address to clear out of the gateway. Here is a stupid question, but I don't have to leave my computer n the whole time do I. Or is it enough just to leave the modem and router on?

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

No, you do not have to leave either of them on. They just cache the MAC address for way too long. Would piss me off whenever I had to wait 8+ hours just to switch my router.

TominDerwood
Tom Am I
join:2000-10-23
Derwood, MD

TominDerwood to bbambocci

to bbambocci
So are you able to get connectivity now after waiting for the MAC address to clear the gateway cache? Just curious to see if your problem has been resolved.

Dan in Baltimore
@cavtel.net

Dan in Baltimore to bbambocci

Anon

to bbambocci
I have had CavTel DSL for quite some time now. I am using a Belkin 4-port + Wireless switch with no problem. As a matter of fact, I like my old (384 Kbps so much) that I ent to their Phonom service so I could get a fre speed upgrade. Now I'm crusing at over 6Mbps. The U/L seems a little slow at under 300 Kbps. Anyone got a good way to measure that?

Anyway, here was the config I used successfully with wirless router and DSL modem. Router needs to use CavTel supplied static IP, DNS(s), Gateway, and Subnet mask. Have router act as DHCP server to your local network. Set you computers to work like DHCP clients (get IP and DNS automatically). That should pretty much be it. The wireless details shouldn't be any different than what you'd normally do to connect safely to your router.

I've been doing it for quite some time and am doing it right now with Phonom.

Best of luck.

-Dan