spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jmacfarlanepa

join:2000-10-09
Alexandria, VA

Link/Act Light constantly blinking -- anyone else?

The Link/Act light for the LAN port of my router (BEFSR11) constantly flickers. The Link/Act light of my switch does not constantly blink, so it's not like data is constantly being sent to my computer. When I do send data, the Link/Act light of the router does respond though, by blinking at a different rate. I have full connectivity, with no apparent problems.

Does anyone else's router do this? Thanks in advance -- the dern light is driving me CRAZY. I recently powered it down to test my line and I can't remember if it was doing this before. . .

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
join:2000-10-08
Bordentown, NJ

If it is your LAN light that is blinking, does your WAN light blink too? Perhaps you have spyware on your system that is accessing the internet w/o your knowledge.

(For more on spyware, you can visit http://grc.com and read about optout.)
--
Thanks,
Paul Laudanski

jmacfarlanepa

Alexandria, VA

Nope -- no WAN light activity. Just the LAN Link/Act light on the router. Also, no blinking light on the switch Link/Act lights.

I take it yours does not blink constantly then

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Bordentown, NJ

said by jmacfarlanepa:
Nope -- no WAN light activity. Just the LAN Link/Act light on the router. Also, no blinking light on the switch Link/Act lights.

I take it yours does not blink constantly then

No sorry, mine does not blink constantly. You wouldn't happen to have IPX would you? That might be causing it to blink.

If you find out whats wrong, please let me know.
--
Thanks,
Paul Laudanski

hurleyp

join:2000-06-20
Ottawa, ON
reply to jmacfarlanepa

Maybe you're set up for Napster, or something similar? That could generate activity.

Paul

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Bordentown, NJ

But would napster just generate activity on the lan act light and not touch the wan act light? That would be strange.
--
Thanks,
Paul Laudanski

jmacfarlanepa

Alexandria, VA
reply to hurleyp

Don't have anything like Napster running. Furthermore, the Link/Act light on the switch is not blinking, so no info. is going to/from my computer.

It's a puzzler, but the good thing is it's working fine at least. I may grab another 1-port Linksys router just to test it out and see if it blinks as well.

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Bordentown, NJ

What is the version of your firmware? Perhaps you need to upgrade?
--
Thanks,
Paul Laudanski

jmacfarlanepa

Alexandria, VA

Firmware is 1.35. I could go to 1.36, but I don't see any reason since this works fine -- unless 1.35 is causing the annoying blinking. . . Maybe I'll flash a previous firmware version to see if that helps.

canonguy

join:2000-09-14
Eden Prairie, MN

reply to jmacfarlanepa

I'm using 1.35 in my LinkSys with no abnormally flashing lights - I'm not a networking expert, but it sure sounds like there's something going on between your box and your router that isn't hitting the net. Either that or there's something a little off with your hardware, or possibly your LinkSys firmware - after reading a lot of posts on the subject, I've noticed that the only thing in common that LinkSys users have with respect to firmware is that EVERYBODY gets different results with each version, so I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the firmware updating process goes wrong on a fairly regular basis, perhaps due to a dropped packet when updating the router, possibly having to do with other software running at the same time the update is being done?
--
Gallois' Revelation: If you put tomfoolery into a computer, nothing comes out but tomfoolery. But this tomfoolery, having passed through a very expensive machine, is somehow ennobled, and no one dares to criticize it.
[text was edited by author 2000-10-21 23:55:36]

jmacfarlanepa

Alexandria, VA

Thanks for the input. I'm either going to try flashing a previous version of the firmware, or try out a different Linksys 1-port router to see if it does the same thing.

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Bordentown, NJ

Good luck
--
Thanks,
Paul Laudanski

huskie

join:2000-07-26
Palatine, IL

I would try firmware ver. 1.34

I tried both 1.35 and 1.36 and I did not like either one of them

1.34 is still the best firmware
It will fix most problems

Brad

[text was edited by author 2000-10-22 14:28:28]

kwinegardner

join:2000-08-11
Fleetwood, PA
reply to jmacfarlanepa

It's possible that you may have a NIC problem. Also, some NIC's (3Com's in particular) frequenty have 10/100 auto-negotiation problems. Make sure the driver version you have is a stable one and try explicitly setting the NIC to half-duplex, 100 Mb.

jmacfarlanepa

Alexandria, VA

But if the NIC were the problem, wouldn't the Link/Act light on the switch be blinking as well? It's only the light on the router that's blinking, and my setup is Router to Switch to NIC, so the info. has to go through the NIC first.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2

This is a really odd one. Have you tried just connecting a computer straight to the router to see if the blinking stops? Something is going on between the switch and the router, and it is in one of the two. You may also want to try a different cable between the two. Unfortunately there is no way to tell which way the "data" is going, but eliminating the switch from the equation may help narrow it down.

FROSTY
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-10
Leeds, AL

A 10/100 Mbps switch typically sends out link status packets. Although the lights on the switch may not blink, a device connected to the switch that acknowledges the packets will. For example, take a 10/100 NIC, a 10/100 auto-negotiating switch, and the BEFSR11 router. With the NIC connected directly the router, neither the activity light on the NIC blinks or the Link/Ack light on the BEFSR11. When the NIC is connected to the switch, the NIC's activity light will blink, but not the one on the switch. Same goes for the BEFSR11 router.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2

That's where I was heading with this. He didn't say what kind of switch he is using, but taking it out of circuit and testing for a minute should tell if that is what is happening. I don't think it is causing problems, but at least he would know where it is coming from.

Monica
Premium,ExMod 2000-02
join:2000-06-15
Fremont, CA
reply to jmacfarlanepa

My Link/Act light on my Linky blinks all the time too, as do the lights on my SOHOware switch. The Linky blinks first, then the switch, so they're talking to each other about something. This goes on even when no one is on any of the computers, or using the printserver. Always has, no matter what the firmware.
When I open a new browser window the WAN activity light and the LAN light both go to a fast flickering blink, then the WAN light goes out and the LAN/Act goes back to its every few second blink.
When your Linky blinks the switch doesn't pick that up, right? And have you tried the Linky in a different port in the switch?

jmacfarlanepa

Alexandria, VA

Thanks very much to all who replied! Frosty, Radio, and Monica -- you all got me guided in the right direction. When I removed the switch from the equation, the Router Link/Act no longer blinked, so I must conclude that it's the interaction of the two (the switch and router).

As stated above, it seems the switch was sending some sort of message to the router. Based on Monica's description, it seems as if it is normal for the Link/Act light on the router to blink when this is happening, but not vice-versa (the Link/Act light on the switch stayed solid and did not blink).

So the conclusion for all of you out there in TV land -- if your BEFSR11 light blinks when you have it hooked to a switch, it's normal. No harm, no foul, as long as everything else is working correctly.

Thanks again!

TOD548

join:2000-08-15
MARS
reply to Monica

I never noticed before but mine does it too.

Terry
--
:D