Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

Re: Got New Modem- It the New VERSION!!

I just got a reply back from Linksys on how to Identify a v4 vs v3.

Thank you for contacting Linksys Technical Support.

You can differentiate the BEFCMU10 version 3 from BEFCMU10 version 4 through the lights on the front panel of the device. With the version 3 under the Internet you have 2 LED lights labeled cable and activity. With the BEFCMU10 version 4 under the Internet you have 3 LED lights indicator (DS, US and Online).

You are supposed to be able to see this light configuration on the picture of modem on the box.

SurfGuru4
join:2001-04-06
Essex, MD

SurfGuru4

I guess we have to.. Or have a very ..very ..very long Cable.. so we can connect it to the Box and see what it show..Either way.. If I do see 3 light.. I know I have Version 4..

Hey this bring back a episode... from Star Trek: NG Captain Picard has been captured by the Cardassians and undergoes torture designed to break his spirit.. where he is lead to believe there is 5 Light. But only there is 4 Lights..
eric87m
join:2003-12-07
Washington, DC

eric87m

I thought to myself, Best Buy has gotten some terrible people.

Haha, they are terrible because they don't know what versions of a cable modem they have ok...

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium Member
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

pokesph to SurfGuru4

Premium Member

to SurfGuru4
said by SurfGuru4:

I guess we have to.. Or have a very ..very ..very long Cable.. so we can connect it to the Box and see what it show..Either way.. If I do see 3 light.. I know I have Version 4..

Hey this bring back a episode... from Star Trek: NG Captain Picard has been captured by the Cardassians and undergoes torture designed to break his spirit.. where he is lead to believe there is 5 Light. But only there is 4 Lights..
*walks away* THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

SurfGuru4
join:2001-04-06
Essex, MD

SurfGuru4

Well I hope I went on a bad day.. Some of those people I know arn't that bad. Just the one that work at PC tech Station.. I work for the part where I put the truck away. So I had to know everything.. But not the product. but being in the area of PC.. I guess some of the stuff seem to come natural.:)

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to Johkal

to Johkal
And the v4 has started to show up in the warehouses in addition to the retail channel. I just helped a relative with a self-install of a Linksys v4 that was supplied with a self-install kit. (I *specifically* got asked because I'm both a former CHSI rep and did my own self-install five years ago, self-replaced the leased modem with a purchased modem the following year, and upgraded again two months ago.) Other than the modem being USB (and thus installing in Windows via Add New Hardware), the steps are no different than a new install via Ethernet.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

said by PGHammer:

Other than the modem being USB (and thus installing in Windows via Add New Hardware), the steps are no different than a new install via Ethernet.
Just to clarify for those who don't have the modem, you have the option to use either ethernet or USB. I use ethernet myself, so the install is no different than any other ethernet connected modem.

oldTDNickell5
Premium Member
join:2000-12-19
Federal Way, WA

oldTDNickell5

Premium Member

said by Sunny:

said by PGHammer:

Other than the modem being USB (and thus installing in Windows via Add New Hardware), the steps are no different than a new install via Ethernet.
Just to clarify for those who don't have the modem, you have the option to use either ethernet or USB. I use ethernet myself, so the install is no different than any other ethernet connected modem.
The Moto SB5100 and SB5120 are also like that.:)

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

1 recommendation

Sunny

Yes, even my older RCA DCM235 had those options. No adding hardware for me, ethernet here.