New Year's Eve
join:2001-07-06
Windsor, ON

4 edits

jeisenberg to DabberDan

to DabberDan

Re: WPA TKIP or AES?

said by DabberDan:

My other questions was that my Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG driver has WPA2 Personal / AES-CCMP available. Can I assume that if the router does AES that this will work? So far, I have the impression I should ditch my Intel software and use the one provided by Windows?
Since WPA2 (802.11i) is backward compatible with WPA (802.11g), the wireless card should talk to the router provided both are configured for WPA/Personal or WPA2/Personal (I'm assuming you don't have access to a server, so "Personal" is the correct choice for setup) using a common passphrase.

I'll also hazard a guess that the wireless card may have the option to set up as a WPA/Personal protected node. If such a choice is available, compatibility to the gateway device would be easier to maintain.

Edited to add link to relevant guides

Some research indicates that the Siemens Speedstream 6300 is most likely the modem/router you are using. Documentation for configuration of the modem using the web interface can be downloaded using a link found on this other thread in broadband reports:

»Efficient Networks Forum FAQ

In addition to the Siemens guide above, Intel has an update published 8/23/2005 for your Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG adapter, providing you are using Windows 2000 or newer operating system. Here's the link for that new software...

»downloadfinder.intel.com ··· tID=1784
DabberDan
join:2004-11-15
Canada

DabberDan

said by jeisenberg:

said by DabberDan:

My other questions was that my Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG driver has WPA2 Personal / AES-CCMP available. Can I assume that if the router does AES that this will work? So far, I have the impression I should ditch my Intel software and use the one provided by Windows?
Since WPA2 (802.11i) is backward compatible with WPA (802.11g), the wireless card should talk to the router provided both are configured for WPA/Personal or WPA2/Personal (I'm assuming you don't have access to a server, so "Personal" is the correct choice for setup) using a common passphrase.

I'll also hazard a guess that the wireless card may have the option to set up as a WPA/Personal protected node. If such a choice is available, compatibility to the gateway device would be easier to maintain.

Edited to add link to relevant guides

Some research indicates that the Siemens Speedstream 6300 is most likely the modem/router you are using. Documentation for configuration of the modem using the web interface can be downloaded using a link found on this other thread in broadband reports:

»Efficient Networks Forum FAQ

In addition to the Siemens guide above, Intel has an update published 8/23/2005 for your Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG adapter, providing you are using Windows 2000 or newer operating system. Here's the link for that new software...

»downloadfinder.intel.com ··· tID=1784
Efficient, I should have known... Knowing this, I'm assuming that I'd still be better off with a Linksys (or any other manufacturer) wireless router right? The only reason I'm saying this is because I cannot run WPA2/Personal/AES on my laptop at the moment.

I looked at the user manuals that you provided. Even in the manual, they mention AES as an option, but nothing in regards to its configuration.

As for the Intel drivers, I updated them a few weeks ago. I have the latest version. What do folks in here do in regards to their wireless driver, use the Windows one or the chipset manufacturer's driver?

When creating a new connection to a WAP, I have the choice of WPA/Personal and WPA2/Personal with TKI? and AES-CCMP. I wasn't able to find the protected node option anywhere (driver and software).

Thank you for your help!

jeisenberg
New Year's Eve
Windsor, ON

jeisenberg

said by DabberDan:

When creating a new connection to a WAP, I have the choice of WPA/Personal and WPA2/Personal with TKI? and AES-CCMP. I wasn't able to find the protected node option anywhere (driver and software).

Thank you for your help!
When I said "protected node", I was referring to a wireless node, protected by encryption. It was not meant to describe one of the encryption options.

If you have the choice of WPA or WPA2, choose WPA. That is the method that is supported by both pieces of your equipment.
B04
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28

2 edits

B04 to jeisenberg

Premium Member

to jeisenberg
said by jeisenberg:

Since WPA2 (802.11i) is backward compatible with WPA (802.11g), the wireless card should talk to the router
Nitpick: that contrast is unfortunate... 802.11i and 802.11g, as I'm sure you know, are not comparable. The former is known as "WPA2" and is intended to replace WEP and improve on enterprise utility for WPA. The latter is merely a 54 Mbps wireless protocol that may itself be set to use 802.11i for encryption and authentication.

»www.wi-fiplanet.com/news ··· /3373441

-- B

P.S. You probably just meant "compatible with WPA (as one might find in an older 802.11g router or access point)"

jeisenberg
New Year's Eve
Windsor, ON

jeisenberg

said by B04:

said by jeisenberg:

Since WPA2 (802.11i) is backward compatible with WPA (802.11g), the wireless card should talk to the router
Nitpick: that contrast is unfortunate... 802.11i and 802.11g, as I'm sure you know, are not comparable. The former is known as "WPA2" and is intended to replace WEP and improve on enterprise utility for WPA. The latter is merely a 54 Mbps wireless protocol that may itself be set to use 802.11i for encryption and authentication.

»www.wi-fiplanet.com/news ··· /3373441

-- B

P.S. You probably just meant "compatible with WPA (as one might find in an older 802.11g router or access point)"
You are correct - I was referring to compatibility with the prior WPA standard. Reference to the 802.11 g/i was in reference to the equipment the user had - and which encryption methods were available to them.