spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mikefxu
join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

1 edit

mikefxu

[WildBlue] "Value Pak" $49.95 testmy.net results?

I am looking for some speed test for the Value Pak $49.95 month package. All I could find was ones that were supposedly on Pro Pak but installer left on Value Pak, don't know to take those as the case since the people didn't come back to say that was the problem.
aarong501
join:2005-05-30
Piketon, OH

aarong501

Re: [WildBlue] "Value Pak" $49.95 testmy.net resul

If you go to wildblue.cc its basically a satellite forum that is all about wb they have plenty of tests with all three packages. Hope this helps.
mikefxu
Titusville, FL

3 edits

mikefxu

Thank you. I get good speeds from Direcway CE plan but at a higher cost. Direcway CE plan and Wild Blue Value Pak plan get about the same speed. But Wild Blue is defiantly cheaper. So lets break this down.

Direcway VAR Earthlink (to many horror stories directly thru Direcway)
Equipment $349.95
Install $249.95
Contract Length: 12 months
Monthly Rate: $69.95
2 year cost: $2278.24
Monthly cost (2yr): $94.95

Wild Blue (Direct)
Equipment $299.99
Install $179.95
Contract Length: 12 months
Monthly Rate: $49.95
2 year cost: $1678.74
Monthly cost (2yr): $69.95

And the best part I can use Windows Remote Desktop instead of this stupid web-based LogMeIn.

We are a construction company that works on military bases and cannot tie into their network so most the time we have only dialup available and need to sync large files between the remote site and home office. We are on most jobs a minimum of 2 years. We start a job in a month in Nevada and needed to figure out what is the best route if high speed broadband is not available on the base.
aarong501
Piketon, OH

aarong501 to mikefxu

to mikefxu
Wildblue is deffinately the better choice in my opinion.

randyvsatus
Premium Member
join:2005-03-03
Monument, CO

randyvsatus to mikefxu

Premium Member

to mikefxu
said by mikefxu:

Direcway CE plan and Wild Blue Value Pak plan get about the same speed. But Wild Blue is defiantly cheaper. So lets break this down.
Since DirecWay doesn't call DW 7000 packages "CE" any more, I will assume you are comparing a DW 6000 to WB....which is no contest; however, if you compare the DW 7000 to WB it's a different story...and you can do things with Dway that WB can't do...like provide a static IP and achieve speeds in both directions that WB doesn't offer.
mikefxu
Titusville, FL

2 edits

mikefxu

Re: [WildBlue] "Value Pak" $49.95 testmy.net results?

I am comparing DW6000 CE. I don't need a static IP, I don't have one now with Direcway, I am on CE. I don't need super speeds just enough to transfer files between home office and remote. Also give my users some descent Internet speeds. I am happy with Direcway right now but starting another job. Wild Blue's cheapest package is just as fast as Direcways's cheapest package, but Wild Blue is still considerably cheaper.

My Direcway speeds:
Download 30 Day Stats (Overall Average = 672 Kbps :: 82 KB/sec)
Upload 30 Day Stats (Overall Average = 77 Kbps :: 9 KB/sec)
aarong501
Piketon, OH

aarong501 to mikefxu

to mikefxu

I would NEVER recommend direcway to anyone because I feel they don't care about their customers and have continually degraded their service. You can read what seems like hundreds of posts on here from unhappy users and you have 1 or 2 direcway advocates that are still here. Randy is one and as you can read from other posts - I am under the understanding that he is either an installer or a person who sells the equipment. I see his point trying to bring customers to DWAY for a financial standpoint but if you want an honest opinion you never ask the car salesman, you ask the guy who used to own the car. Just my opinion.
mikefxu
Titusville, FL

3 edits

mikefxu

Re: [WildBlue] "Value Pak" $49.95 testmy.net results?

Most definitely an installer or some other affiliation with »www.vsatus.com/

Randy Scott has been involved in the bi-directional satellite internet industry from it’s beginning as a Sr. Sales Engineer, consultant and business owner. Randy is the founder of VSAT U.S., a consulting and sales agent, representing the most prestigious satellite internet providers in the U.S. For more information about mobile VSAT products or current VSAT satellite internet offerings, visit www.vsatus.com or email info@vsatus.com .

»vsatnews.blogspot.com/

Administrative Contact:
Scott, Randy rascott87@yahoo.com
vsatus.com
888 Tari Dr.
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80921
United States
Technical Contact:
Scott, Randy rascott87@yahoo.com
vsatus.com
888 Tari Dr.
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80921
United States
aarong501
Piketon, OH

aarong501 to mikefxu

to mikefxu

Well Mike it looks like you are smart enough to figure this out for yourself. I am just glad you aren't going to sink anymore money into a company like DWAY. If we continue to support them, they will continue to take advantage of their customers.

randyvsatus
Premium Member
join:2005-03-03
Monument, CO

randyvsatus to mikefxu

Premium Member

to mikefxu
said by mikefxu:

Randy is the founder of VSAT U.S.
Correct!
For the 8th time...I am not an installer!
I represent several enterprise vsat companies for commercial use and DirecWay for consumers as an Authorized Agent...I did represent Wildblue through RS&I until they dropped the WB product line prior to launching it for non NRTC members. I have always been straight forward on this forum and really don't appreciate being characterized as a "car salesman". Consumer business represents less than 25% of my revenue.
I believe the WB products are a good gamble...it's inexpensive to get the equipment and if, for some reason, it goes kaput, you aren't out a fortune...but to say it isn't a gamble is ludicrous.
aarong501
Piketon, OH

aarong501 to mikefxu

to mikefxu
Nobody said WB wasn't a gamble I am just saying why gamble at all. I would rather "gamble" with a new company that I hope provides good service or, I could go with Direcway which is no gamble at all - they are terrible. I know exactly what I would be getting with DWAY crappy service and customer support. Atleast taking a chance with WB is better than a guarantee failure or dissapointment with direcway.

syi
@12.213.x.x

syi to mikefxu

Anon

to mikefxu
Wildblue is a cheaper choice, but you have to consider the spot beams if you plan to move the system from site to site. you may also want to look at starband.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by syi :

Wildblue is a cheaper choice, but you have to consider the spot beams if you plan to move the system from site to site.
Spot beams are very much an issue for those of us who are mobile, but from what he said about being on a job site for 2 years at a time I don't think that will be a problem. Getting an installer to decommission and recommission at a new site in those time frames should be fairly easy.
JefferyH
join:2002-06-12
Carmi, IL

JefferyH to mikefxu

to mikefxu
"Well Mike it looks like you are smart enough to figure this out for yourself. I am just glad you aren't going to sink anymore money into a company like DWAY. If we continue to support them, they will continue to take advantage of their customers."

Yes, many people here figured this out too. I'm glad to hear you did your research for yourself and went another direction. WB actually gives the consumer what they pay for and have ENGLISH customer service, what a novel concept! The days of old are going to be long dead in the coming years and consumers will certainly benefit from the added competition.

NOTE - Be sure if you go with WB to try and locate a local NRTC for your intstall. They are way better than a VAR or reseller because they tend to be close to where you are and have more of a vested interest in keeping their customers happy, rather than looking for the next quick buck and sale like a VAR or reseller. The NRTC support has been great as well and I would certainly recommend NRTC over the others if you can get it that way.

powerhog
Stinkin' up the joint
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Owasso, OK

powerhog to mikefxu

Premium Member

to mikefxu
Check out Agristar. They're based here in the US, have people here staffing their helpdesk and appear to be somewhat cheaper than Earthlink.
»www.agristar.com/sp_home ··· ff.shtml

And, NO, you don't have to be in the agricultural business to get service from Agristar.

daygo140
join:2003-10-10
Shickshinny, PA

daygo140

Agristar is basically another name for DiRECWAY. Hughes owns that too. It was probably developed to sucker former disgruntled DWAY users.

powerhog
Stinkin' up the joint
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Owasso, OK

powerhog

Premium Member

said by daygo140:

Agristar is basically another name for DiRECWAY. Hughes owns that too. It was probably developed to sucker former disgruntled DWAY users.
Agristar is a value-added reseller (VAR) of DirecWay service, but isn't owned by Hughes.
»www.agristar.com/news_la ··· ov.shtml

I have to say that I've been EXTREMELY happy with my "DirecWay" (through Agristar) service. It's too bad that us happy users don't post more often so that general Internet browsers can see that we aren't all "disgruntled".

toad568
join:2004-09-06
Belton, MO

toad568

I have been using Direcway in one form or another for 5 years now. {AOL dial return} I am now on the 6000 pro plan and average 900kbps down and about 40kbps up. I am quite happy with these speeds over dial up and since being on the pro plan, I get american support. I checked into the WildBlue system and while it is pretty consistant I have to say that more time is needed to see if the system bogs down when the sat's are loaded. That said, I also just couldn't see another 500 buck cash outlay for a different system. I wish all satellite users good luck with their systems and hope that compitition will eventualy lower prices.
mikefxu
Titusville, FL

1 edit

mikefxu

I am happy with Direcway, currently I get good speeds, but another job site begins and Wild Blue is a better deal for our needs.

Direcway:
Download 30 Day Stats (Overall Average = 670 Kbps :: 82 KB/sec)
Upload 30 Day Stats (Overall Average = 86 Kbps :: 10 KB/sec)

Todays:
:::.. Upload Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 166 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 682 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

I am not saying Direcway is bad, I have great results with them. But I can do the same at a lower price and use Windows Remote Desktop since Wild Blue does not NAT their lower connections like Direcway.