spc
uniqs

newdlinkuser
@east.verizon.ne

newdlinkuser to di524newbie

Anon

to di524newbie

Re: New DI-524 Firmware Available

After accidently fring my old 802.11b SMC 7004AWBR (In the process of moving the router & DSL modem, I accidentally plugged the DSL modem power supply into the Router. The Router was really hot and did not work after that)

How did you guys even set up your dlink with the 320 firmware?? First the setup REQUIRED IE. Then IE complained of invalid java script on the WEP/WPA setup screen. So I had to revert to 302. What else is wrong with this router?

Fibertygiblets
@sabrna01.az.comcast.

Fibertygiblets

Anon

Re: New DI-524 Firmware Available - Works for me

I loaded firmware 1.2 on my DI-524 rev A1 about a week ago, and it seems to be working well! I'm using WPA-PSK, MAC filtering, DHCP to the LAN side, and SSID broadcast is disabled. I only have one active wireless connection via a D-Link DWL-G122 USB adaptor. My WAN connection is via a Motorola SB5100 cable modem. My Internet throughput in this config is right about 4Mbps, which is the limit of my cable modem service, and the same as I got with firmware 1.03.

Note that MAC filtering did NOT work properly for me with firmware 1.11, but works fine with 1.2.
Bandito
join:2003-01-23

Bandito

Your throughput via wireless (not LAN) is 4Mbps??
JimF
Premium Member
join:2003-06-15
Allentown, PA

JimF to newdlinkuser

Premium Member

to newdlinkuser

You probably need the latest version of Java; I don't know if the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine version will work (or you may not even have that installed, depending on what version of Windows you have).
»java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/ ··· load.jsp
Download the "J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE)"; they do not make it particularly easy to find this for some reason. The default settings are OK, although I turn off automatic updates myself.

The new firmware works fine for me, but it depends a lot on whether you card or internal adapter is compatable. Be sure to get the latest drivers.

I fried a webcam the same way; the darn plugs are all alike.

Fibertygiblets
@sabrna01.az.comcast.

Fibertygiblets to Bandito

Anon

to Bandito

Re: New DI-524 Firmware Available - Works for me

> Your throughput via wireless (not LAN) is 4Mbps??

Umm, yes. Is there something unusual about that? The wireless connection is (theoretically) capable of 54 Mbps, but since I'm just going out to the Internet, my cable modem is the bottleneck. To be specific, my downstream is limited to 4Mbps, and upstream to about 384Kbps, both of which are the limits of the cable modem. The wireless connection seems to have no negative impact.

Here's a different question for the experts out there. When I look at my DI-524 log, it is flooded with messages like this:
Oct/06/2005 08:40:50 DHCP Request 69.139.xxx.xxx
Oct/06/2005 08:38:52 DHCP Request 69.139.xxx.xxx
Oct/06/2005 08:27:03 DHCP Request 69.139.xxx.xxx
Oct/06/2005 08:34:55 DHCP Request 69.139.xxx.xxx
Oct/06/2005 08:05:55 DHCP Request success 69.139.xxx.xxx
Oct/06/2005 08:05:55 DHCP Request 69.139.xxx.xxx

The 69.139.xxx.xxx address is always the same (I just hid it here as a precaution). I can ping that address and get repsonses in 1-2ms, so I'm guessing this must be something in my cable modem, maybe the external address. tracert shows it as a comcast.net address (my ISP). I this normal? I don't recall if I got these messages with firmware 1.03.

Thanks
Bandito
join:2003-01-23

Bandito

said by Fibertygiblets :

> Your throughput via wireless (not LAN) is 4Mbps??

Umm, yes. Is there something unusual about that?
Yes, at least with my router. With no or MAC Filtering I can 4.7-5 Mbps. With WPA and above I can only get 2 to 3 Mbps if I am lucky. That's a big difference.
grumpy3b
join:2001-12-11
Lompoc, CA

grumpy3b to JimF

to JimF

JimF about finding the current Java Runtime...did ya know you can just go to:

»www.java.com

instead of trying to find it burried somewhere on the Sun site? I actually found it by accident one day...

teddy
join:2002-02-20
Kingston, ON

teddy to JimF

to JimF
said by JimF:

You probably need the latest version of Java;
Java and Javascript are 2 completely different things. Installing the JRE will not affect the D-Link router pages at all. Javascript is 100% browser dependant, and I have had no problems in IE, Firefox, or Opera.
JimF
Premium Member
join:2003-06-15
Allentown, PA

JimF

Premium Member

You are right. I have used Firefox to access it without any problems.