spc
Search similar:

uniqs
gebe6
join:2004-12-09
Minersville, PA

gebe6

OTA-HD or CABLE-HD

which has the better picture the OTA/HD or the CABLE/HD?

Snowcat
join:2004-02-02
Nashville, TN

Snowcat

The picture quality should be equal. Most cable companies do not modify their HD streams, unlike the satellite companies.

I have had both in the past year, and I can't tell a difference.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr to gebe6

Premium Member

to gebe6
The overall quality when you have a good signal stregnth should be identical. I had OTA for a while and got all hte locals. While it did require a big antenna and amplifier, i got all the locals.

Once we got cable HD the pictures were identical and carried the same audio.

Now the main catch is getting a strong enough signal. We switched to comcast for the extra 5 bucks and got some great other channels in HD and was deffinately worth it.

The INHD and INHD2 channels have amazing stuff without commercials! Discovery HD is just fun to watch HD content.
gebe6
join:2004-12-09
Minersville, PA

gebe6

I was just in contact with a station manager and he said cable companies compress the HD signal, whereas OTA you get the HD signal as is. is this true?

haamster
Premium Member
join:2002-12-02
Monroe Township, NJ

haamster

Premium Member

Comcast does not compress HD.

I can't comment on others.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to Snowcat

Premium Member

to Snowcat
said by Snowcat:

The picture quality should be equal. Most cable companies do not modify their HD streams, unlike the satellite companies.

I wasn't aware that Satellite carried local HD over the birds yet. Don't you get the locals via an antenna?

If you are talkinga bout channels like Discovery HD, HBOHD and others over the birds, that's a different.

I have run OTA and Cocmast HD side by side and I can't tell the difference what so ever.

DCTGoddess
join:2005-10-07
Eastern MA

DCTGoddess

said by fiberguy2:

said by Snowcat:

I have run OTA and Cocmast HD side by side and I can't tell the difference what so ever.
That's nice to know. I've read posts about a couple of Canadian cable cos. seriously compressing the HD channels to conserve bandwidth, so, it's good to know Comcast doesn't tinker w/ them.