how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jazzy_

join:2004-01-27
Charleston, SC

nothing new

Modern BitTorrent clients have had features to block this kind of attack for quite awhile now. The problem for most is they do not use these newer clients. Azureus has these features.

Though I must admit this could severely diminish the performance of a torrent it will not stop the distribution.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA
said by jazzy_:

Modern BitTorrent clients have had features to block this kind of attack for quite awhile now. The problem for most is they do not use these newer clients. Azureus has these features.
Assuming that they are sending good data just that the data doesn't match what the view is expecting, how does the client detect that?

-tom
--
"Some people have morals, standards and ideals about quality, but I'm an American: I couldn't care less." --Tony Pierce (paraphrased)

Neil
Stop All The Downloadin

join:2003-08-20
New York, NY
Just guessing, MD5sums?

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA
Which, if they act as the full source for a given torrent, will compute correctly and not show an error.

-tom

bmfan
Premium
join:2005-03-15
Saint Helen, MI
reply to Neil
bit torrent doesnt use md5

Rhobite
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Waltham, MA
reply to nixen
said by nixen:

Which, if they act as the full source for a given torrent, will compute correctly and not show an error.
The .torrent file itself has the SHA1 hashes, so if you send bogus data to someone with the correct file, it will be rejected. Even if they are pretending that they're a full source. If HBO can provide bogus .torrent files, you are correct that their chunks will pass the test. But it's up to whoever runs the tracker to weed out bogus files.
--
Jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.

Rhobite
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Waltham, MA
reply to bmfan
said by bmfan:

bit torrent doesnt use md5
Right, it uses SHA-1, but they perform the same function: cryptographic hashing.
--
Jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.