Search similar:

uniqs

harris5108
@204.128.x.x

1 edit

harris5108

Anon

[Wireless] No IP address on my laptop from router

Hello all. First off thanks for your help. I just got a new laptop that is wireless g. I connected a linksys router and wireless 54 g. I can get on the internet with my desktop, but on my laptop I'm not getting a ip address and when I open internet explorer it says page cannot be displayed. On the taskbar on the bottom right it says I'm connected with excellent strength. I just cannnot get an ip address on my laptop. Can anyone help me? I've been trying to fix this for a week. thanks again

ModMove: Moved to Linksys from pacbell for better eyes on the problem, as likely a wireless setup issue.
nexus4
join:2001-03-09
Biloxi, MS

nexus4

Re: [Wireless] No IP address on my laptop from rou

It saying you're connected and having an excellent signal strenght isn't enough.

It sounds like DHCP might not be enabled in your router if you're not getting an address. Assuming you truely are "connected" and not that it just found an AP and still waiting for you to login to it.

Try going into Network Connections and right click on your wireless local area connection icon, go to properties and then select Internet Protocol TCP/IP from the list. In here choose to manually enter in the info...

Now set ip to: 192.168.1.xxx (xxx could be .2 to .254) Just pick something like maybe .5 as long as .5 isn't being used.

Set subnet to 255.255.255.0

Set Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1

Click ok and allow it to finish aquiring the ip.. Now go to START then RUN and type CMD and click OK.

In the black box type ipconfig (enter)

You should see all of the ip/gateway info you put in manually. try to do ping 192.168.1.1 and see if you get replies.

If you do then you should be able to connect to your router and out to the internet. If not you'll need to know what local ip address your router is using (default for linksys is 192.168.1.1)

If you can ping the router then try pinging an outside address... ping 216.239.37.99

that is google.com if 216.239.37.99 gets replies you're getting out to the internet. NOW what you'll need to do is find out your ISP's DNS and go back into network connections like above, and add their DNS along with what you have in your Internet Protocol TCP/IP. Once you've done this then you should be able to surf just fine.

harris5108
@dsl.irvnca.pacbell.n

harris5108

Anon

I tried everything you wrote. I was able to get a ping reply from 192.168.1.1, but it timed out when I tried to ping 216.239.37.99. I cannont fingue this darn thing out. Thanks again for all your help.

dorfman
Premium Member
join:2002-04-24
North Royalton, OH

dorfman

Premium Member

You'll have to manually put in your DNS server addresses also. You can get that from the Status web page on the linksys router. Alternatively you could also try plugging in 192.168.1.1 as the DNS address to see if that might work.
nexus4
Biloxi, MS

nexus4 to harris5108

to harris5108
hmm ok well you can ping 192.168.1.1 (your router) so we know you do have a physical connection (wireless) to the router. And you're saying another PC connected to the same router is able to surf the net?

That would sound like you have a problem with that notebook specifically. Something like Norton Internet Security or the like which is currently BLOCKING all access in and out from that machine.

If you have anything like norton internet security go into it's settings and make sure you have it disabled where it will not block anything. Then see if you can ping google's ip again.
nexus4

nexus4 to dorfman

to dorfman
I don't think it's going to be DNS related pc319. That's why I asked him to try to ping google's IP and not the name server.

harris5108
@dsl.irvnca.pacbell.n

harris5108 to nexus4

Anon

to nexus4
My laptop doesnt have internet security on it yet, only norton antivirus. I just got the laptop and haven't installed it yet. y desktop is connecting to the net for sure, that's how I'm able to type this and get your help. This is crazy, I thought it would be plug and surf the net, not one big problem,I'm just frustrated. Thanks again for your help.
nexus4
Biloxi, MS

nexus4

Have you tried connecting your notebook directly to the router with an ethernet cable? That could at least rule out the computer from being the issue. I'm racking my brain trying to think of why it would let you connect but not surf.

Which router do you have, and are you using a built-in wireless, or a pc adapter card and if so which model? Are you using the software that came with it or window's wireless? Do you have any sort of WEP/WPA enabled on the router?

If so try disabling all wireless security until you can at least establish internet access.

harris5108
@dsl.irvnca.pacbell.n

harris5108

Anon

Yes the computer isn't the issue. It works fine at my friends house on his unsecured wireless network. My laptop has a built in wireless. I'm using windows wireless. The router I have is a linksys befsr41 and a wap54g. How do I disable wireless security? Thanks again for your help
nexus4
Biloxi, MS

nexus4

Ok I wasn't aware that you were using a wired router with an additional wireless access point. I know it's a stupid question, but do you have a physical connection between the befrs41 and the wap54g? the cable from the wap54g should be connecting to one of the 4 ports on the back of the befrs41. And you should have a link light on both devices.

If so then you need to take the software that came with the WAP54G and install it on your PC which is wired into the router. Follow the setup wizard for configuring your access point. Have you done this yet? I'm suspecting not since you asked how to disable wireless security. Go through the setup wizard on that cdrom and make sure security is not enabled. it should be an open wireless network. Once you're sure you got connectivity then you can go back and secure it. WPA is a better choice over WEP.

harris5108
@dsl.irvnca.pacbell.n

harris5108

Anon

I ran the setup program and still no luck, go figure. This sucks. ANy other suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks again
nexus4
Biloxi, MS

nexus4

try to ping 192.168.1.245

that is the wireless ap's default ip. if you can then try to login to it from the browser with 192.168.1.245

login is admin with no password. From there it'll have a mangement much like your router's. Things to check are to make sure you don't have the AP in "repeater" mode. It should be in Access Point mode. You might want to note all of the settings and list it here. It's got to be something simple.
nexus4

nexus4

Here is a screen shot of what you'll see once you login:
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· etup.jpg

On here you'll notice it has a configuration type with a drop down box. You should try setting it to STATIC IP ADDRESS.

in IP ADDRESS put 192.168.1.245 (AP's address)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Router's address)

mode should be mixed, SSID should be linksys, SSID broadcast should be enabled, WEP should be disabled (only until you can establish a good connection then enable it later)
apply those settings...

go to the AP MODE tab at the top:
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· mode.jpg

Make sure Access Point is selected. (not wireless bridge)

That should be it... Go to status and you can get a listing of all the AP's details... See if that doesn't work. I suspect some how its just not communicating with your router.
nexus4

nexus4

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· 4G-3.php

this site is someone's description with screenshots on configuring the wap54g. I've only done it once before and I do remember running into some issues but it was all ip related.

harris5108
@dsl.irvnca.pacbell.n

harris5108

Anon

I tired everything the site said and still nothing. What else could it be? thanks for your help

megalomart
@113.xx.151.ip.alltel

megalomart

Anon

I would try turning on "obtain IP address automatically" in your notebook. Reboot, let the wireless connect and do an ipconfig to see if you really are getting an IP address or not, you probably are getting an IP address, however the security setting in the router are not allowing you to complete your connection. Try turning off windows firewall, and make sure you have the same security settings for your notebook as for your desktop.

harris5108
@dsl.irvnca.pacbell.n

harris5108

Anon

thanks for your help, this is just killing me. I made sure all the settings were the same and still when I open up explorer it gives me the this page cannot be displayed error. Here is my exact setup I have sbc yahoo dsl, a speed stream modem, linksys befsr41 dsl router, and a linksys wap54g. In my icon tray it says wireless network coneection is now connected excellent signal strength. When I open the propeties of the wireless network connection on the support tab says address type assigned by DHCP,ip address 192.168.1.1, default gateway 192.168.1.1. I also have noticed that sometime the connection just drops and then connects again. Thanks for the help this has been haunting me for the last two weeks.
harris5108

harris5108 to harris5108

Anon

to harris5108

Re: [Wireless] No IP address on my laptop from router

When i go to start,run,type cmd and ping 192.186.1.1 i get a reply, but when I try to ping 216.239.37.99 (google) i get request timed out. So my laptop cannot get past the router to the internet. What am I doing wrong? Thanks again for all the help.

mike1006
@siac.com

mike1006

Anon

I am having the same issue as you regarding drop connection.
My setup is, a broadband router and a wireless router. I had the linksys support for the last two days trying to figure out the problem with no luck. Actually, if you disable and enable the wireless connection it would work for two minutes and then stop. What is actually wierd, it also affects the connection that is wired to the broadband router. I have two wireless clients and a wired desktop client. I hook up the wirelss router independently and had the same issues.
Broadband router works find even with the wireless clients hardwired.
I am thinking maybe the router is defective. I am sending for a replacement and see if the problem still exist

harris5108
@204.128.x.x

harris5108 to harris5108

Anon

to harris5108
Yes, my problem is still ongoing. I'm still not able to connect to the net, and cannot figure it out. Hopefully someone will know what I can do. thanks