Search similar:

uniqs
wilhelmsson
join:2005-10-17
Denmark

wilhelmsson

[XP] Ultravnc - failed to connect to server

Hi everyone,

I have installed ultravnc server on my home computer and viewer on my work computer. The problem is that I can't connect to my homecomputer from work.

A friend of mine outside my worknetwork can connect to my homecomputer so the problem seem to be on the viewer and not the server side. Also I can ping my homecomputer from work but when i use UltraVNC viewer I get a failed to connect to server message. The java based why of entering the ip and portnumber in a browser window does not work either. The windows xp firewall is opened for ultravnc on both computers.

I don't know exactly how my workplace connects to the internet but the workplace is a university if that is any help and I have an ip at work that starts with 10.11 so I guess that is my internal IP, but should that matter from the viewer side?

jp0469
JP
join:2000-12-13
Rochester, MA

jp0469

Sounds like a firewall restriction on the viewer end. I had the same problem connecting from work. I was able to get around this by setting up the server at home to listen on port 443. Since port 443 must be opened in order to view secure web pages, you may be able to connect out on this port. Depending on how the firewall is set up, this still may not work but it's worth a shot.

BTW, I'm not advocating trying to circumvent your company firewall. Any legal issues are your responsibility.

JP
wilhelmsson
join:2005-10-17
Denmark

wilhelmsson

Thanks for the suggestions,

I have to get home and then back to work so I won't know if it works until tomorrow.

BTW, I'm at a university in Denmark and the legal environment is a bit more relaxed here than in the states so don't worry
wilhelmsson

1 edit

wilhelmsson to jp0469

to jp0469
Hi again,

I had my friend change the port for me and now it works, you're a genius, thanks!