All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
morespeedplz
join:2005-10-17
Moorestown, NJ

morespeedplz

connection dropping - could someone please verify?

Hello!
I've had Cavtel for a couple months now and have been tracking down a problem since i got them - i'm getting so close! But I'd really appreciate it if someone could try this experiment and tell me their results

the experiment
Could you please try FTP'ing (upload) a 10 meg or so file to any server and watch your connection?
thanks you!

the situation
I get about 90K (720kbs right?) upload so after about 20-25 seconds, my connection completely drops everytime, no exceptions. it times out and reconnects at 1/2 speed, then continuously drops/reconnects until about 8Megs into it, it just gives up. this makes working from home impossible now.

I thought it was just FTP traffic until i noticed in my Skype logs that my connection was dropping at 14 minutes x seconds every conversation! so i got a traffic analyzer and noticed that at, or about, 2Meg have been uploaded i lose my connection. the way it reconnects at 1/2 speed, then drops at shorter and shorter intervals makes me suspicious that some buffer somewhere is filling up and not emptying. i've tried with/without firewalls/router, different operating systems, network cards, computers and finally ended rewiring my entire house (which incidently improved my connection speed tremendously)!

if someone could please post their results i'd really appreciate it - i need to find out if it's just my connection or other Cavtel customers!
-morespeedplz
morespeedplz

morespeedplz

Re: connection dropping - could someone please ver

sorry if i wasn't clear on my last post so let me try again:

Would a fellow cavelier DSL subscriber please try uploading a large file (around 10 megs) to a server somewhere, or to your friend's computer using AIM (or whatever..) or anything that involves you uploading a large file and check if your connection drops for about 30 seconds after uploading approximately 2Megs please?

You will notice that you can no longer surf or ping anything for about 30 seconds and then the connection magically appears again..

I'm on my 13th call to Cavelier about this...

could someone please try this to see if it's just my connection??

thanks,
jim

john21804
@cavtel.net

john21804 to morespeedplz

Anon

to morespeedplz
Thank god, I get that too, I called them and they made me believe it was my connection, and my NIC card as usuall.

Mellow
Premium Member
join:2001-11-16
Salisbury, MD

Mellow to morespeedplz

Premium Member

to morespeedplz
Transferred 1 file totaling 15.76 MB in 2 minutes 25 seconds (111.2 KB/s)

No problems with my connection here lately (knock on wood). Not sure if it makes a difference but I am using the older Cisco modem.
morespeedplz
join:2005-10-17
Moorestown, NJ

morespeedplz

thank you SO MUCH for replying. i really appreciate it. this is what i need to talk to tech support next time. i'm on call #17 now and am waiting for the higher level techs to call me back. will keep you posted.

if anyone else can confirm, post away!
thanks again Mellow!
morespeedplz

morespeedplz

AFTER 4 MONTHS IT'S BEEN RESOLVED OMG!!!!!! turns out they had to escalate the problem to the network techs who went out to the CO, and i when called to follow up on what the heck they did, the guy told me they, "had the pvc manage removed" whatever that means. so anyone else with this !#@$!#$ problem can let cavtel know that the prob is with the CO.
hallelujah

john21804
@cavtel.net

john21804

Anon

Well I still get the problem, its their shitty service, Im never going to get it resolved because everytime I call they blame it on me.
AppleSpar
join:2005-01-11
Huntingdon Valley, PA

AppleSpar to morespeedplz

to morespeedplz
Apparently Cavel has upgraded their equipment at the Willow Grove CO in PA. For the last few days my connection has been intermittent slow and occasionally interrupted. Today my average connection speed has improved greatly(+~70% over previous highs), and my uploads and downloads have proceeded uninterrupted. I thought this might be relevant to this thread.