All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JamesDax
join:2001-02-24
Philadelphia, PA

JamesDax

Is anyone in Philadelphia happy with cavtel???

Because this service is about as bad as it gets. First, I'm live in Germantown and I'm about 2500ft from the CO but for some reason I'm capped at 1500 downstream. No one seems to know why. Of course 1500 is on a good day. Often times I'm only getting well below 1Mbps. But that's not all. Now I'm having people telling me that when they call they are getting disconnected so I'm missing phone calls too. And the customer service???

So, who's in Philly, particularly G'Town, is loving Cavtel??
JamesDax

JamesDax

Well, I dumped CavTel this morning and I'm back with RoadRunner. Thank goodness I hadn't sent the modem back. RR had me up and running 15mins after I got off the phone. As for CavTel. Just say no. The worst expreince I've had with and ISP ever.
jervin123
join:2005-04-14
Philadelphia, PA

jervin123 to JamesDax

to JamesDax
im in the northeast out of philpapi the exchange at cottman and rising sun im about 7130 from the co and get ibetween 7 - 10 down and 800 - 1mb ish
mikeydxhill
join:2003-12-16
Drexel Hill, PA

mikeydxhill to JamesDax

to JamesDax
Hi James,

sorry I haven't browsed on here in a while, and didn't even notice your post from back in October! anyhow, I'm down in Delaware County (right outside philly), and see the same EXACT speed capping as you....I'm about 5,000 ft from the CO, and am on a RADSL DSLAM, I sync up at the max 7MB down that this Paradyne modem can do (I think it's the 5920 or something like that? 5960, 5980..can't remember..)

But I can never get over about 1500-1800 ...no matter what...I even had my laptop and modem right at the NID outside, and disconnected my whole house..same deal..

they couldn't figure out what the speed is capped....I also asked recently about upgrading to ADSL serivce, but they came back and said they can't do it until verizon upgrades the lines??? what could they need to do to the copper to 'upgrade it' as cavtel says??
AppleSpar
join:2005-01-11
Huntingdon Valley, PA

AppleSpar to JamesDax

to JamesDax
I'm just north of Philadelphia (7,800 feet from Willow Grove CO). I consistently test in the 7-8 Mb download speed range, but when I actually download I never see more than 5 Mb with my Mac G4. It's even slower with the various other windows servers I use. It does seem as if I actually achieve 7 Mb when I use two at once (I haven't tried three, I'm not set up for it), but this is hard to test objectively.
salex711
join:2001-11-14
Ardmore, PA

salex711 to JamesDax

to JamesDax
I am in Ardmore, Delaware County
»/speed ··· 35131516
I get 3-4MB down and 500-600KB up.
When I got the service more then a yaer ago, it was solid 5.5MB and 800KB all the time, but lately it doesnt go any higher then 4-4,5MB
salex711

salex711

BTW I am 7000 feet from CO
areyesrn
join:2005-12-24
Wilmington, DE
ARRIS SB8200
TP-Link Archer C5400

areyesrn to AppleSpar

to AppleSpar
I'm in Horsham, and i get 8 down and 1 up

I'm satisfied with the speed, considering the price.

i'm just disappointed with other factors...apparently, there's no newsgroup access...or at least i'm not getting any.

Webspace is a joke. You only get 3MB for your homepage. That's just enough to redirect you to somewhere else...

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by areyesrn:

Webspace is a joke. You only get 3MB for your homepage. That's just enough to redirect you to somewhere else...
But, at least with cavalier, if you have a low usage web site you can run it out of yur home and it is NOT again their AUP/TOS. Unlike most other telco carriers.