Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

anicetoemma
Naruto
Premium
join:2005-09-30
Chicago, IL

How can I measure my internal LAN bandwidth use?

How much bandwidth do I use at home/work when connected to a 100mb switch? How can I find out?

I want to be able to find out how much bandwidth I am using and if I need to go Gigabit, but I don't know how to find that out.

andy8880

join:2004-07-27
UK

My first reaction is, if the applications you are running are that network intensive, then the quality of the switch should have stats available to tell you....

Afterall, ,just because it is a switch with 100Mb/s interfaces does not mean that it can actually process packets
- at a rate of 100Mb/s devided by the MTU of the network (8 x 1500 bytes)
- on all interfaces at the same time at that rate (8 port, therefore 4 in/4 out at the above rate).

so just moving to a gigabit interfaced switch may not be the 'simple' answer anyway.

I suspect you need to see if the peaks of demand in the network are causing your significant bottlenecks... would being 10x faster allow your equipment to use that extra speed... i.e just because I am on an expressway, does not mean my car can go that fast... sorry, I kinda said that already

- does it matter if you now take 0.1 sec instead of 1 second to access a file ? are other network waits not more dominant ?
- are you seeing significant/continuous collissions (a sign of peak overload, note that there will always be some by design)

being more practical...
What type of switch is it ?
does it have snmp support, that would allow you to connect stats S/w that would provide you with the picture you really need.. second by second, min by min throughput and by interface (if poss). so you can see the perfornce over the hour/day as a graph.

I suggest a guick google for 'network monitoring software' and 'traffic monitoring software'

prtg is one of the frequent recomended tools, but there are others...

davidc502

join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TDS
reply to anicetoemma

I can tell you this, if your workstations are sitting idle on a switch, not much bandwith is being used.

If you have a 6mbps broadband connection, and both computers are downloading simutaineously, you're still only using a fraction of a 100mbps pipe.

If you are constantly/regularly transferring movie/music/data between workstations, and these files are in the 10's of gigabytes in size, I would recommend a gigabit switch.

anicetoemma
Naruto
Premium
join:2005-09-30
Chicago, IL

Alright this is my situation, I have my Xbox (modded as a media center) networked (wired) to my router, but it is in my living room, and I have my home pc (wired) with all my ripped DVD movies on the hard drives (wink wink!). I also have a laptop and PSP (both wireless).

Occasionally, I like to stream the movies I have to my Xbox (via Samba sharing) and at the same time I or my wife is either, or at the same time, surfing the net or downloading documents (wink wink!) via bittorrent. Now I realize everything that I am doing is using a lot of bandwidth, although I see no slow down whatsoever on my LAN, but I owuld love to be able to know EXACTYLY, if possible, how much bandwidth I am using.

cacroll
Eventually, Prozac becomes normal
Premium
join:2002-07-25
Martinez, CA

Re: How can I measure my internal LAN bandwidth us

said by anicetoemma:

Alright this is my situation, I have my Xbox (modded as a media center) networked (wired) to my router, but it is in my living room, and I have my home pc (wired) with all my ripped DVD movies on the hard drives (wink wink!). I also have a laptop and PSP (both wireless).

Occasionally, I like to stream the movies I have to my Xbox (via Samba sharing) and at the same time I or my wife is either, or at the same time, surfing the net or downloading documents (wink wink!) via bittorrent. Now I realize everything that I am doing is using a lot of bandwidth, although I see no slow down whatsoever on my LAN, but I owuld love to be able to know EXACTYLY, if possible, how much bandwidth I am using.

You can watch each individual computer (not the XBox) using DUMeter.
»www.dumeter.com/

Is your Internet service running thru a NAT router? If it is, and the router can supports WallWatcher (free), WW has a bandwidth monitor that will give you total Internet bandwidth.
»www.wallwatcher.com/
--
Cheers,
Chuck
MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
PChuck's Network