spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Lenagainster
join:2005-01-07
Silver Spring, MD

Lenagainster

DSL speed upgrade

What does one have to do to get an upgrade of speed with Cavtel? Just request it? Any equipment or configuration changes? Right now, I get 740 kbps down and 698 kbps up, according to Speakeasy speed test, and 889 kbps according to Cavtel's memeber speed test. Using a Paradyne ReachDSL modem.

Thanks for any advice.

Lena
53059959 (banned)
Temp banned from BBR more then anyone
join:2002-10-02
PwnZone

53059959 (banned)

im curious too what one has to do for the speed upgrade. im 6000ft from the CO with their old recycled westel modem, I get about 750k up 4.5mbps down.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to Lenagainster

Premium Member

to Lenagainster
Lenagainster See Profile Try calling them. Here in Richmond to get an upgrade if you were on the Reach DSL, which you are, it just took a phone call and if you were within distance limits and your CO has Cavalier ADSL equipment in it they would upgrade you. Same price but better speeds.

53059959 See Profile Normally when Cavalier has you on ADSL, which it appears you are, they do not set limits in the DSLAM. They normally put the sync rate at max and you get what you can get due to your line conditions. If you have a chance, post your stats from the Westell and maybe we can tell if you are even able to get any more speed out of your line. If the down stream margins are low, then asking for any type of change may not help.
Lenagainster
Silver Spring, MD

Lenagainster

Thanks, ropeguru, for your response. My email to tech support on Friday asking about the upgrade has not been answered except for the automated response. Perhaps Monday. By Tuesday, I guess a phone call and the long wait will be in order with customer service.

If I'm stuck with 740 kbps DSL, and have the $25 local calling plan with 5 cpm long distance from Cavtel, I could just as easily switch to V's $14.95 DSL (abt 700 kbps) and pick up their new Freedom Essentials Plan (unlimited local and long distance, VM, CID, CW) for $39.95, and pay the same amount with taxes and fees that I pay Cavtel. (Or pick a cheaper phone plan from V and save).

Lena
53059959 (banned)
Temp banned from BBR more then anyone
join:2002-10-02
PwnZone

53059959 (banned) to ropeguru

to ropeguru
yeah im on adsl. thats about as high as it goes with any dsl, i've had other providers. isnt cavalier upgrading their dslams to adsl2? I heard something about that. how do I get that?

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by 53059959:

yeah im on adsl. thats about as high as it goes with any dsl, i've had other providers. isnt cavalier upgrading their dslams to adsl2? I heard something about that. how do I get that?
If they have upgraded your CO, then just call and ask. They should do it if you are within the distance limitations.
ropeguru

ropeguru to Lenagainster

Premium Member

to Lenagainster
I would call either sales or tech support. Will probably get answered much faster that way. They should even be able to tell you right then what distance they are showing for your line out of the database they use.
Lenagainster
Silver Spring, MD

1 edit

Lenagainster

Finally got a reply to my email and was instructed to call customer service. The Reach modem is limited to 960 kbps. Customer care could upgrade me to about 3Mbps but I would have to shell out $79 for a new modem and a deposit of $49 until I returned my current modem. I mulled it over, and decided not to make the change.

Then I thought about the $10.80 they charged me to change my voicemail from answering on 5 rings to 7 rings (so I could use my own answering machine and keep voicemail for unanswered call waiting), and for the same monthly fee getting free LD from Verizon; I wonder why I am sticking with this company.

UPDATE: I called Verizon today and scheduled to have my service changed to V's Freedom Essentials ($39.95, ul local and ld, vm, cid, cw) and $14.95 DSL (750kbps). With taxes and fees and surcharges, it will cost the same as Cavtel's 750 kbps DSL, local and 5 cpm ld.

It annoyed me no end that a new customer could get much higher DSL speed with the proper modem at no cost, while existing customers have to fork over $80 for a new modem and post a $50 bond for the return of the old modem.

BTW, has anyone noticed that Cavtel seems to block access to the Verizon website. I tried over and over again to search V's website for details on local calling plans, etc. and the pages stalled and timed out. I switched to my dial up, and had no trouble navagating the website. Back to Cavtel's DSL, and V's website stalled. Switched back and forth several times, and same story. Tried a neighbor's computer, using Verizon DSL, no problems.

Lena
Lemelisk2005
join:2005-04-12
Baltimore, MD

Lemelisk2005

I went to the Verizon website no problems at all. Explored the entire website, no timing issues or anything. I been on Cavtel for over a year now.

I was thinking of upgrading the speed because it is available here, but if I have to pay for the modem then I am happy with the speed I have. Downloads are fast and I don't do the gaming online like a lot of other do, so I am satisfied.