spc
Search similar:

uniqs
PuterJunkie
join:2002-10-03
Powell, TN

PuterJunkie

Dropping connection

I have a friend who is having a problem with Knology. Her computer is constantly losing connection to the inernet. When it loses it, I can right click the network connection and do a repair and it comes right back. Knology blames it on her Norton Internet Security or Microsoft. Any ideas on how to pin this down. I am going back today with a cable router to see if My laptop still works when her pc has lost connection. Any ideas would be greating appreciated.
datatech228
join:2005-11-18
Harvest, AL

datatech228

Could be an ip related issue. Ca you get online for a few min. then drops and you repair you can get back online and then the same cycle over and over. If this is the promblem you need to change your ip and you can do this by adding a router or changing your networkcard. But it would be better to set up a trouble call and let us come out.
PuterJunkie
Powell, TN

PuterJunkie

I am going to add a cable router to it this evening. Knology is telling her it her problem and will cost $50 dollars for a tech to come out. I will take an extra nic too. Thanks!
datatech228
Harvest, AL

datatech228

what system does she live in?
datatech228

datatech228 to PuterJunkie

to PuterJunkie
You will have to call the mac address for the router into us because if you clone it from the computer it will pull the same ip
PuterJunkie
Powell, TN

PuterJunkie

She lives in Knoxville, currently she has a Blackbox, do I remove that to use the cable router? I would assume so since it had no WAN connection on it.
datatech228
Harvest, AL

datatech228

no you would just put it between to modem and computer but it will give you directions. Knoxville is fiber to the curb so your modem souldn't be droping out
PuterJunkie
Powell, TN

PuterJunkie

Thanks, it wouldn't surprise me to find it is the Norton Firewall. I hate Norton!
datatech228
Harvest, AL

datatech228

Let me know how it goes
PuterJunkie
Powell, TN

PuterJunkie

The Problem was related to the Norton Firewall portion of the Internet Security. Once I installed a cable router I could see that the connection to the router was staying up while the LAN connection on the PC was still dropping. I disabled the firewall and it has been working fine since.
Thanks for your help.
datatech228
Harvest, AL

datatech228

most of the time when norton rus out it starts messing up but the router is a better firewall if you ask me

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22

But a router (or windows firewall) won't protect you if you introduce virus's or trojans or malware, etc. via software downloads, discs, emails, etc. It is good to have some firewall program that allows you to control and block outgoing connections, software, etc as well as incoming.

A firewall is more than a protector against hacking INTO your system, in can prevent stuff from calling OUT of your system and sending, oh lets say, your credit card info, passwords, etc.

Now whether Norton is the best... ~ ~ ~ I'd have to say its turned into bloatware lately.