how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Malik999

join:2005-11-08
Jonesville, SC

MAC addresses and Comcast?

i am about to get comcast installed and am trying to understand exactly what is required. i will buy a dlink router tomorrow from bestbuy, modem i'm renting.

from reading here it appears comcast register the mac address of your pc to your account, meaning you have to use this pc to use your comcast internet.

can anyone answering the following for me, so i can get things clear in my mind

1) all network cards have there own mac number and this never changes, correct?.

1a) mac addresses must therefore be hardcoded into all network cards?

2) to get around comcasts requirements and use more then just the one pc. you then put the mac number you registered with comcast into a router, the router then supplies the mac number to comcast rather than the pc. so you could in theory then change the networks cards in your pc's and comcast would never know and it would still work?

3) if the above no3 is correct couldnt you therefore simply make up any mac address number i.e. 00-00-1a-aa-a1-a-00 and give that to comcast. as long as the number you enter into your router config is the same it will work?

4) do comcast keep this mac address on file for ever then, i.e. it is permanently assigned to your account, its like a second password to connect?

thanks to anyone that is able to reply

imrf
Premium
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI

said by Malik999:

from reading here it appears comcast register the mac address of your pc to your account, meaning you have to use this pc to use your comcast internet.
No, Comcast registers the MAC address of the cable modem. They use the MAC address of the NIC to assign an IP. The modem will allow only the first MAC address it sees to get an IP. So when you get your router, you'll either have to clone the NIC MAC address or unplug the power to the modem for a few seconds then plug it in, then plug in your router and your computers will be online.

CKWong_1

join:2005-12-07

As far as I know, you can buy your own modem and routher then run the Comcast setup software again and select existing customer. You won't have to call comcast or anything. That's what the cable guy told me, since I was installing my own hardware and not renting from them.

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

said by CKWong_1:

As far as I know, you can buy your own modem and routher then run the Comcast setup software again and select existing customer. You won't have to call comcast or anything. That's what the cable guy told me, since I was installing my own hardware and not renting from them.
What comcast software? I have had comcast for over 3 years and never have used amy kind of comcast software.

dot_null
Premium
join:2004-06-28
Kennesaw, GA

When you started service you probably registered via the web based SAS registration system. About a year ago Comcast switched all markets to Bedrock, a new provisioning system. The new registration system requires customers to install Comcast software to register the modem. If you don't want to install software, you can call the 800 number and they will manually provision the modem.

Morty
Premium
join:2004-09-18
reply to Malik999

1) all network cards have there own mac number and this never changes, correct?.
Theoretically, yes. Each NIC is suppose to receive its own unique MAC address. This MAC addresses is encoded into the ROM chip on the NIC itself. However, in most cases can be updated/changed (depending on model) with little trouble.

1a) mac addresses must therefore be hard-coded into all network cards?
See answer 1, (went a little overboard)

2) to get around comcasts requirements and use more then just the one pc. you then put the mac number you registered with comcast into a router, the router then supplies the mac number to comcast rather than the pc. so you could in theory then change the networks cards in your pc's and comcast would never know and it would still work?

That's one way, keep in mind, Comcast does not register your NICs MAC address for provisioning, only your modem's. You're NIC's MAC address is used to assign it a dynamic IP address from the DHCP server. If you change your NICs MAC you will get a different IP you will also need to Power Cycle your Modem. This is because by default Comcast will only lease you 1 IP address at a time (unless you pay for extras). So typically the only point of this method, would be if you're running a server, and don't wish to have your IP changed.

3) if the above no3 is correct couldn't you therefore simply make up any mac address number i.e. 00-00-1a-aa-a1-a-00 and give that to comcast. as long as the number you enter into your router config is the same it will work?

That would work if it was for the NIC/router not the Modem. Keep in mind Comcast does not care too much about your NICs MAC address. (while it is possible to change a modem's NIC, if you have the time and know how, if you don't, just consider it impossible -- Also why wouldn't you just place a 5 min phone call to Comcast to have a new modem provisioned?)

4) do comcast keep this mac address on file for ever then, i.e. it is permanently assigned to your account, its like a second password to connect?

Modems: Yes (unless you return that modem, if leasing)
NICs: No, it is only kept while you have a IP lease.

Morty
Premium
join:2004-09-18
reply to dot_null

said by dot_null:

When you started service you probably registered via the web based SAS registration system. About a year ago Comcast switched all markets to Bedrock, a new provisioning system. The new registration system requires customers to install Comcast software to register the modem. If you don't want to install software, you can call the 800 number and they will manually provision the modem.
Bit more info:
»/faq/11356

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to dot_null

Actually, *JR-APS* (AKA Bedrock) is entirely Web-based. It installs nothing on the customer's computer. (I've used it twice; once to upgrade my own PC, and once to install CHSI for a relative at their house.) It *does*, however, require IE 6 (and will install it if it doesn't detect it).

jjsk8r85

join:2005-02-17
Belleville, MI

you can use 896,527,378,851.53 different mac addresses (routers, nics, sip's, whatever) in one day, as long as you give your cable modem a hard reboot every time. once you reboot the cable modem, it re-learns the mac address, and assigns a NEW ip address based on that mac. as long as your cable modem mac changes (which it won't) you won't have to worry about connection issues. MAC cloning on comcast is no longer needed nor is it worthwhile, unless you want the same IP all the time (which isn't guaranteed anyhow).

dot_null
Premium
join:2004-06-28
Kennesaw, GA
reply to PGHammer

Really? When I moved I got the "walled garden" page asking me to install software. I may have been using FF, though. That's good to know, thanks.