spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jimness0001
join:2005-03-28
West Chicago, IL

jimness0001

Conspiracy Theory

Come on, Karl, the idea that the FCC gets together in a smokey back room with the cable companies and finds ways to get prices up is silly.

Yes, full ala carte would probably decrease prices, but there would be a bunch of cable networks going out of business if people had to explicitly choose them. I know I only consciously watch about 10 of my Comcast Digital channels. I would not choose the rest from a list and without subscribers they won't exist.

FCC is sensitive to losing those channels and is trying to find a middle ground. I'd be happy with more tiers, and fewer "basic" and "extended basic" channels, as a compromise.

And, if that keeps the Christian Right's fingers off my cable box, better yet.

Minister
join:2002-01-02
Fleeting

Minister

Re: Conspiracy Theory

quote:
the idea that the FCC gets together in a smokey back room with the cable companies and finds ways to get prices up is silly
That is silly, considering it's done in broad daylight via lobbyists.
sweepy4
join:2003-12-12
Apex, NC

1 edit

sweepy4 to jimness0001

to jimness0001
Who Cares is some of the stations go out of business. This is America the dog eat dog world of competition. If you do not have the content the people want they should go out of business. Why should I subsidise the BET network and keep them alive if I never watch it?

BTW: I am not a racist, that was just an example...I do not watch sports either

Minister
join:2002-01-02
Fleeting

Minister

quote:
Who Cares is some of the stations go out of business.
My thoughts too. And so? We'll soon have billions of channels (many amateur) being streamed via broadband IPTV services from all number of providers all over the world, and I'm concerned that the home mopping channel can't survive on cable under this system?

Sometimes to make an omelet......

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds

MVM

The home shopping channel will survive... it is one of the most watched channels on cable television.

When of the big problems with the streaming model is that you cannot use music on streamed content thanks to the RIAA. That is one of the reason to various streaming PEG projects of the late 90s were all discontinued.
Sarge_0321
join:2002-06-27
San Diego, CA

Sarge_0321 to sweepy4

to sweepy4
BET going off the air would be the best thing to happen to the black population. Reduce the glamorization of thugs and hoodrat behavior. On TV we have whites and asians succeeding in science, technology and politics. With blacks and latinos either shaking their asses or with evening soaps. Nothing that helps a particular ailing population group excel in life.

A LA CARTE like a magazine subscription will determine if a channel is fit to survive.
BarneyBadAss
Badasses Fight For Freedom
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07

BarneyBadAss to jimness0001

Premium Member

to jimness0001
Jimness000,

Your right... the notion that the FCC gets together in a smokey back room is silly....

Nevertheless, it's very clear to everyone, the FCC doesn't understand "PLAIN ENGLISH."

I suppose they think when they go to a local restaurant and order "ala carte", it means whatever they order comes with "FRIES" too!