spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ButtButtNoNo
@208.17.x.x

ButtButtNoNo

Anon

God is in my TV

Alacarte won't work. There would never be any new channels. If you subscribe to only a few channels, how will a new channel get off the ground? Also, what would you pay for a single channel? What channel should cost more than another? Or would they all be the same price?

Cable isn't that bad IMO, my bill is roughly 140 a month. So thats like what, 4.66 a day??? Not bad, I pay more in tolls going to work a day.

But, this is just my opinion.
BVT
join:2004-10-25
Mount Juliet, TN

BVT

Re: God is in my TV

New channels will happen the same way they do now. They are given for free or bundled with another channel ala Disney & ABC Family.

Picking and choosing each channel will probably never come but choosing channel bundles may. That would be more than acceptable to me and probably most people here too.

calvoiper
join:2003-03-31
Belvedere Tiburon, CA

calvoiper

And this will save us money how?

Does anyone really think that a buffet restaurant would be cheaper if they were forced to price separate "bundles" of entrees?

Let's see. We'll force them to offer a "no pork" bundle, a "no beef" bundle, a "no green vegetables" bundle, a "low carb" bundle, a "no sugar added" bundle, and an "organic" bundle for starters. Or maybe we could have a couple "premium" tiers--perhaps for meat or organics. But we already have and recognize "premium" offerings in cable.

Expecting "a la carte" to save money on cable is like going to a buffet restaurant and telling the owner, "I don't like broccoli or barbecue. I want a cheaper price because I won't be eating broccoli or barbecue." The owner will correctly say, "But you don't understand. We never expect anyone to consume every offering all at once--the pricing you get for 60 choices assumes you'll only be sampling 15 or so and seriously consuming 4 or 5 things. Get real."

The only thing true "a la carte" will accomplish is that when I visit my sister and brother-in-law, they won't have a single channel I want to watch--but they, and I, will pay just as much as we do now.

calvoiper
BVT
join:2004-10-25
Mount Juliet, TN

BVT

All you have to do is seperate the cost of ESPN and its derivatives & MTV and its derivatives and the cost of cable goes down greatly.

That possibly remove Disney and any other Viacom owned channel but who cares. I dont watch either of those and I should not be forced to pay for those.

The bundles would work wonders. A lot better than the 70 channels for $50 dollars we have now. The majority of which goes to Disney & Viacom

calvoiper
join:2003-03-31
Belvedere Tiburon, CA

calvoiper

...and my point is that we will see smaller bundles, but that pricing won't go down--we'll still be paying $50 a month for the smaller bundles we choose--just like the way you pay about as much for a full sized meal at Denny's as you pay for a buffet offering.

Yeah, if you eat light, you can just pick up something from the McDonalds' 1$ menu--but if that is what you wanted, you weren't at the buffet in the first place. Likewise, if all you wanted to see was cartoons, you were probably renting videos from Netflix rather than subscribing to cable, anyway.

calvoiper
Sarge_0321
join:2002-06-27
San Diego, CA

Sarge_0321 to ButtButtNoNo

to ButtButtNoNo
All the channels could still appear in "infomercial" form. Giving you the option to 'add' them at any time.

15 minuted looping video segments showing the best the channel has to offer. Packed with features and trailers.

You either call, order online or via the remote.

That could take care of the issues.