spc
Search similar:

uniqs

twodaend
The Eye Of The Tiger
join:2000-08-05
Alsip, IL

twodaend

[Help] Shutdown.exe Not Working All The Time?

I use Perfect Disk as a schedule task and because I have multiple accounts on each PC with passwords, the offline portion of PD will not work because PD does not allow for a force shutdown/reboot. Thus I use shutdown.exe in XP as a task to reboot the computer 10 mins before PD is schedule to run. However, shutdown.exe does not always work.

In my scheduled task, Shutdown is run with 3 switches, -f -r -c. 2 out of 3 of my machines does not work. On my IBM laptop, it works just fine every time. On my Dell laptop, it works, but instead of doing a reboot, it does a shutdown. Finally on my custom build, it does not work at all, no shutdown or reboot.

Is there a way to get shutdown to work all of the time or is there an alternative app that I can use to reboot the machine on a schedule time.

Thanks for the help

Candle4
Lost Soul
Premium Member
join:2005-04-26
Henning, MN

Candle4

Premium Member

Try this little reboot I scripted and see if it works for you
»www.xtrafile.com/uploads ··· zip.html

twodaend
The Eye Of The Tiger
Alsip, IL

twodaend

Thanks for the app, it does work better than the normal shutdown, but I'm still having trouble with my dell laptop. It will not run the the app as a schedule task. I checked the event viewer for the time it was supposed to run, but nothing was there.

Candle4
Lost Soul
Premium Member
join:2005-04-26
Henning, MN

Candle4

Premium Member

I would say it is something in the way your doing your schedule as that should work like any other exe file.
Try to run notepad with the schedule and see what happens.

Awgeewhiz
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
Delta, PA

2 edits

Awgeewhiz to twodaend

Premium Member

to twodaend
When you say "does not work", just what does happen on the machines you invoke it on?

Check BIOS power settings to see what actions are enabled/taken on power off/recovery. Also the default actions for front panel power/reset switches.

Running multiple instances of shutdown or hung/hanging applications can interfere with shutdown.

Just about anything can be launched via "scheduled tasks". Even scripts. (eg, *.cmd or *.com).

I use a shutdown script/command file that allows me to cleanly shutdown other programs before issuing the
cmd /c "c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -f -r -t 00" command within the scripts.

Check registry settings:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop AutoEndTasks should be set to 1 (true)

You might want to check WaitToKillAppTimeout and HungAppTimeout (20000 and 5000 milliseconds respectively)

(edit)
Additional note:

I found that Start / Settings / Control Panel / System /Advanced / Startup and Recovery / Settings

unchecking "system failure automatically restart" will help with some systems.

twodaend
The Eye Of The Tiger
Alsip, IL

twodaend

I tested my schedule with opening a notepad file at a specific time and it worked as does the shutdown task. However, the shutdown task does not do with it is supposed to do. I have shutdown -f -r -c which should do a reboot. However when it runs, it just does a shutdown and turns off not restarted like I want it to.

When doing this, the lid on the laptop is closed because this schedule is happening in the early morning. I don't allow the machine to go into standby or sleep mode, but there is a screensaver (no password) that come on, and the monitor will turn off after 30 mins.