»Road Runner HSI Forum FAQ
--
"Q: When will it be done? A: When pigs fly! "

Tom Mc

join:2004-06-17
reply to Todd r

I'm guessing your RWIN is too small. Check it at
»www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php

Probably a good setting for you would be 64240, which can easily be set with DrTCP »/drtcp

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Todd r

He may be testing from a "slow" site too and all the tweaking in the world won't do a bit to help....

A bit more info would help. What speed is the guy supposed to be getting ?? We can assume 5000/384k but he may be premium or even biz-class so he should expect higher. Where is he testing from ?? What time of day (shouldn't matter as much as it used to) ??

Todd r

@rr.com

thanks hall but im in nyc and my bill is $45and i tested my speed on this same site so wat should i do oh and thank you all for taking yur time and answering my question i remeber when i had my old pc my dl use to be inn the 10,ooo and upload use to be atleast 5,ooo but now things just got slower especially ehn i upload big files i allso use a router

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Many of the linked speed test from "this site" aren't always the best choice... Try »nyc.speakeasy.net/, choose the New York City image near the bottom, as well as this one, »ftp://ftp1.optonline.net/pub/test64. With the ftp-optonline link, do a "Save as..." and when it's between 50-75% done, note the "X KB/sec" number and post it. You should see upwards of 600KB/s for that value. That equates to approx 4800k download, which is a completely acceptable speed.

Todd r

@rr.com

ok my dl is 4569 and the ul is 349

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Those really are acceptable speeds. You could get a little faster, but not too much.... Try the test again during off-peak hours (like 5 in the morning or so ) and see what you get. If you get faster speeds, there's simply congestion in your area, which you can do NOTHING to solve. TW/RR will *not* help you get faster speeds either as they'll consider those speeds more than acceptable.

Logwind

join:2003-06-20
reply to Todd r

Is 5000/384 now the standard residential cap for RR nationwide?

todd r

@rr.com

actually usual speeds are 10000 to 5000 thats my friends speed and he live next door same twc rr

BBACIS
Premium
join:2002-11-23
Raleigh, NC

1 recommendation

reply to Logwind

It is for now... it won't be for long.

Expand your moderator at work

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
reply to Todd r

Re: how to make roadrunner faster

said by Todd r :

Thats a good speed to get. You will never get the theoretical maximum because cable modems aren't full duplex, and there is a little bit of overhead on both the protocols for cable data and tcp/ip.

The modems are set for 5 Mbps downstream (which is 5192 kbps actually) and 384 kbps upstream.

On average, you should expect to get about 90% of the advertised speeds as your maximum or about 4700 kbps down and about 350 kbps upstream. It looks like you are hitting that maximum quite nicely.

Personally, I wouldn't consider there to be a problem until your speed tests repeatedly go below 4000 kbps down and 280 kbps upstream. Upstream is a little more sensitive to error then downstream.

Also, don't test with any p2p apps running for at least 15 minutes. Some p2p apps will continue to cause traffic after you shut them down, because for a while all the peers you were connected to will try to confirm you are still there, or request/offer the next package to download in a certain file. Within about 10 minutes all peers will realize that you aren't there anymore and traffic will have ceased.
--
"I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein." - Bush, May 2004.

hamburglar_

join:2002-04-29
united state
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
reply to Logwind

said by Logwind:

Is 5000/384 now the standard residential cap for RR nationwide?
The upload is 512k here for both Standard and Premium.

»www.timewarnercable.com/columbus···ner.html

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Columbus RR is an exception, not the rule. 384k upload is "normal".

Death2U
Premium
join:2006-01-22

1 edit
reply to maartena

said by maartena:

said by Todd r :

The modems are set for 5 Mbps downstream (which is 5192 kbps actually) and 384 kbps upstream.

On average, you should expect to get about 90% of the advertised speeds as your maximum or about 4700 kbps down and about 350 kbps upstream. It looks like you are hitting that maximum quite nicely.
You would hate Albany RR then and btw 5mbps=5120kbps. I'm now 3rd on speed test for that circuit at just over 4000 kbps and trust me it's not easy, I could write a book. Typical here is about 2500 kbps. My reading shows the bane of cable, the potential is there but never realized ; ; Even more tricky is distributing app ports through certain software so they don't throttle you. I'll post my basic settings when I'm not falling asleep to make sure I type them right and if internet speed is your concern as in browsing, dump RR's screwy DNS and put it as secondary, use an open DNS as primary and watch your web browsing speed up(RR's is moved to secondary because most open DNS aren't local, so good to have a local as backup in case something fails in between.)

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to maartena

said by maartena:

said by Todd r :

Thats a good speed to get. You will never get the theoretical maximum because cable modems aren't full duplex, and there is a little bit of overhead on both the protocols for cable data and tcp/ip.

I don't know why you say you can't get the theoretical maximum. I got 3200 or better after my line was fixed and until the so called upgrade to 5000 which was actually a downgrade for me. I got the 3200+ on a 3000 cap on all speed tests East Coast, West Coast, in between, OOL, around the clock ALWAYS.

It it utter BS for Road Runner to claim all this garbage about speeds and internet congestion, etc. It's lying to the customer. I am proof that any franchise can give it customers (in my case a customer not even on the island of Oahu) the cap or above around the clock using speed tests from dslr and other Speakeasy tests, OOL FTP test, etc.

I don't have anywhere near the cap now except to the West Coast using Speakeasy LA and SFO tests and SBC Yahoo LA. East Coast tests for me are horrible now MUCH worse than before the cap change from 3ms to 5ms. This says two things to me: Oceanic's local network is crap and cannot handle the higher speeds and RR network in general is crap and cannot handle the higher speeds and peering agreements are not what they were when the speed was capped at 3ms down.

Edit: 4569 is a poor speed. You should be getting 4800 at LEAST and actually you should not be satisfied unless you get the cap or above. The speed is advertised at 5ms and that is what you should get. Plus, upload should be 425-450. That is what I get on the Oceanic speed test which is the cadillac of speed tests.
--
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

mele20: If you were getting 3200k on speed tests, you weren't capped at 3000k.

4569k will be deemed perfectly acceptable by TW or Oceanic or Roadrunner. They do NOT guarantee any speed anywhere. If you have written proof of this, or a link, please post it. Also, where is the "speed is advertised at 5ms" ?? Again, please post a link, not what someone told you.

Finally, my upload cap is 384k, as it is for most RR customers. I'd love to know how you can help me get 425-450k upload.

Death2U
Premium
reply to Mele20

He is right, the capping failed Mele as it did for me on the 3m speed. I was getting 3200-3400 kbps before the upgrade. I think RR when they had that cap had a network that could handle somewhat more and probably were generous enough under the old RR staff to up it to an extent everyone, even under heavy load, will get 3k. No other connection I have had including the T1 lines at work, 56k modem, or DSL have quite met cap. RR at the new speed is about the worst and demonstrates my statement about cable these days. You can always tweak for higher speeds and keep getting a bit more, but cap(actual cap, not RR's initial generousity) is a goal but can never expect to be attained. Some may be getting closer than they think, speed tests are not a heavy load over multiple ports, but they do give you an idea of where you are at compared to others. Only time I seen cap obtained or so-called cap is when an isp has an underloaded area and pushes the envolope a little. RR's network here was underloaded at 3m and we got extra speed, now with the speed increase and all the new subscribers, all hell broke loose. Network is way overburdened and I'm not even sure how much is RR's area to litigate. A high number of ATDN and Level 3 routers in this area are bad with >50% packet loss. My connection to the RR routers is all good unless I tracert the DNS which loses packets in itself, the RR routers are fine. But cap is just that, a wording that excludes them from guaranteeing that you will get that speed. Since it is worded that way, the person next to the office getting that speed is enough proof to release them from liability. Only thing you can do is keep transcripts of chat sessions and ask each tech what you should be getting, if you are below that, then you have some legal ground if all else fails. You have gotten your high standards before, I know this. If you could help me by showing me the correct channels to report level 3 and ATDN to be taken seriously, I'd really appreciate it. It seems my bad connection starts at the first hop off RR to them and gets worse along the path that is on their routers. Thank you.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

What benefit does RR gain by "pushing the envolpe (sic)" ?? No user in the world can tell the difference between 3000k and 3200k. You'd only know you're getting faster speeds like that by doing speed tests or paying attention to download rates. The average customer does NOT do that.

I have heard of RR providing faster than advertised speeds at things like computer shows where they're demo'ing RR. In those cases, they may have had that particular modem config'd with NO cap at all, running wide open.

Death2U
Premium

Mostly the cap is done through a throttling method, if you're getting over advertised speed as I used to, it is likely no accident. Cable is so spotty house to house, unlike distance based dsl. The guy next to me could have been getting 3m even or slightly below. Why not if not many have it and the network pipeline is clean and open. Makes for good PR with RR's first customers.

BBACIS
Premium
Raleigh, NC

said by Death2U:

Mostly the cap is done through a throttling method,
Interesting. Tell me more about this throttling method.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Death2U

said by Death2U:

Mostly the cap is done through a throttling method
You are 100% incorrect. The cap is done via a configuration file that's uploaded to your modem. Different modems, based on their MAC address, can have different config files. That's why someone with RR Lite, someone with RR standard, and someone with RR Premium can all have the exact same model of modems.

BBACIS
Premium
Raleigh, NC

said by Hall:

said by Death2U:

Mostly the cap is done through a throttling method
You are 100% incorrect. The cap is done via a configuration file that's uploaded to your modem. Different modems, based on their MAC address, can have different config files. That's why someone with RR Lite, someone with RR standard, and someone with RR Premium can all have the exact same model of modems.
I was trying to take more of an indirect approach, but there you have it.

Just a friendly suggestion...
Hound, you may want to research some of the information your putting out there as fact before you post it.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

I don't want false information to sit around uncontested for others to read...

BBACIS
Premium
Raleigh, NC

said by Hall:

I don't want false information to sit around uncontested for others to read...
LMAO...

SOLdesign
Did I drink a shot of Irrational Whore?
Premium
join:2002-07-29
Woodland Hills, CA
reply to Death2U

said by Death2U:

Mostly the cap is done through a throttling method, if you're getting over advertised speed as I used to, it is likely no accident. Cable is so spotty house to house, unlike distance based dsl. The guy next to me could have been getting 3m even or slightly below. Why not if not many have it and the network pipeline is clean and open. Makes for good PR with RR's first customers.
wow, if you actually buy in to anything you just typed, I have some spectacular land in the Everglades to sell you...
--
"Why don't you just Xanadu yourself right into the police car sir? Well, why don't you just Xanadont!" - Reno 911

Death2U
Premium

1 edit
reply to Todd r

I know they have a packet shaper and I didn't mention the config file. I was told by RR that is why under heavy usage my top speed seems to drop below what it was the first 5-10 minutes, like a reliable download going 550 KB/sec down to the 400's. You live in a fantasy land if you think your isp won't use them. People would also be downloading illegal config.bin files if they didn't. The ones at the office are loaded by us and network is designed to tolerate it. The modems are each configured to 45 mbps on the main end as they are on T3 lines. As a phrase said I liked in one of these forums.

Haha KEEP DREAMING!!
Cheers.