Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to gwion

Re: New Forum: "Security Cleanup"...

Glad to see it finally happened:)

Wow! Checked lilhurricane's profile and I have 1 question. When do you sleep?
--
Prevent Malware

mers2
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-20
USA
kudos:8

1 recommendation

said by dolphins:

Glad to see it finally happened:)

Wow! Checked lilhurricane's profile and I have 1 question. When do you sleep?
She doesn't.
--
God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now, I am so far behind I will never die.

novaflare
The Dragon Was Here
Premium
join:2002-01-24
Barberton, OH

1 recommendation

All i can say is awesome. And congrats to the host lilhurricane as well.

anthrorules
Premium
join:2003-09-14
Rollinsville, CO
reply to gwion

thank goodness...so that the Security forum will no longer be wasted space full of Hijackthis logs and such.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Riss_Centaur

said by Riss_Centaur:

Congrats lilhurricane! Have at!

»/r0/download/9···uter.gif
Cleaning a computer...
Um, why clean a CRT monitor? :P CRTs don't get infected.

Good idea on the forum!
--
Ant @ The Ant Farm: »antfarm.ma.cx ... Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use the forum (I check almost daily)! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

CalamityJane
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-27
Eustis, FL
kudos:8

4 recommendations

reply to anthrorules

said by anthrorules:

thank goodness...so that the Security forum will no longer be wasted space full of Hijackthis logs and such.
You may view helping infected users as wasted space, we view it as an opportunity to help, educate and promote PC security
--
It takes a disaster to make a woman out of a female
Microsoft MVP/Windows Security 2003-2006
Proud Member of ASAP (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)

anthrorules
Premium
Rollinsville, CO

1 edit

"thank goodness...so that the Security forum will no longer be wasted space full of Hijackthis logs and such.

You may view helping infected users as wasted space, we view it as an opportunity to help, educate and promote PC security"

Ummm...that was not my implication...there is a place to help people and should be a separate forum...the Security forum has been cluttered with Hijackthis topics, which needs to be in another forum, than Security forum, a Security Cleanup forum is perfect.

Please do not put words into my mouth and hands.
--
ionSKY Wireless ISP - 2.4GHz - 802.11b - 1.0MB/384kbps | Dell Dimension 4550/WinXP Pro/SP2/768MB Ram -- Dell Inspiron 5150/WinXP Pro/SP2/1024MB Ram |Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 | NAT Router/Firewall | D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router/Firewall |MSAS Sucks!

Khaine

join:2003-03-03
Australia
reply to gwion

This is a great idea, as it seperates the posts into a more logical and organised way. It stops the security forum from being overloaded with HJT logs, and it means those who need help / want to help don't need to sift through so many posts

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to gwion

You can't get back from that forum to this one easily. There needs to be link at the top... not the bar which is all messed up anyhow. But above that.
--
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"

Wildcatboy
Invisible
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-30
Toronto, ON
kudos:3
reply to anthrorules

said by anthrorules:

...the Security forum has been cluttered with Hijackthis topics,...
Cluttered? Hate to pick on you but the average number of HJT threads per day in this forum has been 3-5. Considering the number of posters we have, 5 HJT threads a day is hardly considered a clutter.
--
You can catch the Devil, but you can't hold him long.

anthrorules
Premium
Rollinsville, CO

2 edits

"
...the Security forum has been cluttered with Hijackthis topics,...
Cluttered? Hate to pick on you but the average number of HJT threads per day in this forum has been 3-5. Considering the number of posters we have, 5 HJT threads a day is hardly considered a clutter."

Yes, the number of these types of posts has decreased, but my point is that the Security forum SHOULD NOT be the place to assist people with cleaning up their computers. Again, I commend having this other forum available for doing that! Geez!

Also, I don't know where you're getting YOUR average, but doing a search on the Security forum for hijackthis during the month of December 2005, I come up with over 400 Topics related that have hijackthis logs posted.

»/nsearch?q=hij···d=1&18=1

That increases the number to close to 15 a day, which in my opinion is clutter.

You say Potatato, I say Potatoe.

--
ionSKY Wireless ISP - 2.4GHz - 802.11b - 1.0MB/384kbps | Dell Dimension 4550/WinXP Pro/SP2/768MB Ram -- Dell Inspiron 5150/WinXP Pro/SP2/1024MB Ram |Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 | NAT Router/Firewall | D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router/Firewall |MSAS Sucks!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

My thought is that when they were in the REAL security forum, I looked at them many times. I won't go this new forum though just as I very seldom go to the Vendors forum. Why? Two reasons: I won't think to do it and I won't have time. I think everything should have stayed in ONE security forum. I was opposed to the Vendors forum, Kerio and now this. The malware one I can see having that separate.

If there was a lot of clutter then maybe this was needed....but I only recall a very short period when there was a lot of clutter and I entertained the thought of a separate forum then and was soundly rebuffed by WCB. So, I have no idea why this forum was approved NOW when the clutter has been so little for so long. The time for it, if ever, is LONG PAST. DSLr is apt to get known as the last place to adopt a trend....:(
--
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"

drake
Overdosed on confidence
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-10
Baldwin, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I think one of the main reasons in creating the new "cleanup" forum was to avoid 'those' threads from being drowned into the archives, as many of them were, since the Security Forum is the busiest forum on BBR. I think I'll benefit from the new forum since I found myself bumping my own "cleanup" thread(s) in the past.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

You can't get back from that forum to this one easily. There needs to be link at the top... not the bar which is all messed up anyhow. But above that.
It's a bug and is being looked at so it can be fixed and the new forum can link properly in tabs to the other security forums.
--
We're going to Texas.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by fatness:

said by Mele20:

It's a bug and is being looked at so it can be fixed and the new forum can link properly in tabs to the other security forums.
Translation. . . Fatness is having someone else look at whatever it is he broke.
--
"Grumpiness - the unstable state of mind of one lacking wisdom."

astirusty
Premium
join:2000-12-23
Henderson, NV
reply to gwion

Yeah baby!

Kanebrake
Island Time
Premium
join:2002-03-12

1 recommendation

reply to gwion

Congratulations Lil ... She runs a tight ship with an even hand.

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to gwion

... geez, I'm slippin' in my old age ... congrats to Lil and her new forum, those poor lost souls will be in good hands ...

... actual image of Hurricane Lisa - if you misbehave you might see that on yer tail ...

--
... "Do You Know Where Your Towel Is ?" ...

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

2 recommendations

reply to fatness

said by fatness:

EFT (estimated fix time) = this weekend
--
We're going to Texas.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to gwion

Wow! I'm slipping in my old age. (Heck, my footing wasn't that great when I was younger either).
Don't know how I missed this thread!

Anyway, excellent idea for a new forum and congratulations to lilhurricane See Profile!

Excellent choice not only as a Moderator, but as a person we have all come to know and admire a great deal.

As mentioned earlier, the only way I can figure you handle all of this, is that you just don't ever sleep!
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

The tabs are fixed.

mew6977
We Never Shut Down.
Premium
join:2002-09-09
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

reply to gwion

Congrats Lisa.
I know you will do a great job with the new forum.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 edit
reply to fatness

Why can't the tab for this forum be seen without having to click on the forward icon? There is plenty of room to have all forums display across the top without having to click on that >>. When I do that, then wireless appears twice and I finally see this forum. Then when I want to go to the main forum there STILL is no easy way to get there. I have to go backwards on the back icon and then click on the main security forum link. There are not too many forums to display all on ONE horizontal line at the top. There is wasted space there now necessitating in the extra clicking. Plus, someone mentioned putting Kerio at the end of the list so it is the one that is hidden until you click on the forward icon. I think that is a good idea. But better than doing that, get rid of the second wireless icon at the top and put this forum's icon in the empty space so there no need for the forward and backwards icons.

BTW way, I really like the forum logo!!:)

Edit: I forgot to spell check.
--

Px

join:2005-04-30
reply to fatness

It works great just is a little funny looking since its not 100% smooth but hey its works great and who said that it has to look perfect every single time. Thanks for the work.
--
That light that you see at the end of the tunnel. You know that reealy bright one; well its not salvation. Its the 6 o'clock freight train