Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

plk
Premium
join:2002-04-20
united state

90 F-150 steering column schematic

I need a schematic for a 1990 Ford F-150 steering column. I have a pin that unlocks the gear shift (auto) So how it seems to activate the starter to. I need to see if I can remove this thing, or if it must be replaced.

Does anyone have this or a link to one online?
Thanks
--
Thermaltake 2000a/Asus P4C-e/p4 3.4/ocz3500 2x512/WD.2x200g/raptor2x74 raid 0/ATI 9600/APC sua 1500/Logitech z-680/ Samsung 213t LCD/MX 1000

SVTRanger

join:2001-07-17
dude..one visit to your local FORD dealer and you should get it for free by their service department....i suggest you go to ford.com and look for a dealer, drive over there (not in your f150), and ask them for the schematics, they'll print it out...

I know they have models going back 15-20years....they pulled out alot of wire diagrams and bolt placements for my 1990 Mustang GT....
--
2003 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT dyno'd @ 481rwhp w/ pully swap, prochamber, chip, tune, intake.

Thorax1
Premium
join:2003-09-13
Huntington Beach, CA
reply to plk
I've had a few hundred of those apart.

There is no "pin" that activates the starter....the ign cylinder operates a rod that activates a ign electrical switch about 1/2 way down the column (just like the standard GM design).

Got pics?
Photoshop them up to show what you are trying to do....I'll walk you thru it if you need.

plk
Premium
united state
reply to plk
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size

Here are some pictures of my problem. Sorry about the quality. My camera doesn't focus well up close.

As you can see in the small pic the square pin like thing has broke off. The best I can tell this just unlocks the transmission shifter. However, before disassembly, the starter would not engage. That made me wonder if another fault is there and I have not spotted it.

So can I just remove this square pin like thing and do w/o the tranny lock? If so, how does it come out? I assume it does not activate the starter since it pulls out to unlock.
The key has turned very hard for several years. I knew it was going to break so day. I should of bought a book long ago.

All the truck is used for is trips to haul and a snow plow.
--
Thermaltake 2000a/Asus P4C-e/p4 3.4/ocz3500 2x512/WD.2x200g/raptor2x74 raid 0/ATI 9600/APC sua 1500/Logitech z-680/ Samsung 213t LCD/MX 1000

plk
Premium
united state
Ok., I got the square pin out that sheared off which appears to only act as a transmission lock.
Question. In the close up picture, the thing has a cable or rod which runs on top of the steering column. It appears or sounds like it activates a switch. Do you know what this switch does?
When this thing broke the key came on and the truck would get power but the key would go all the way over to the start position but the starter would not activate. This cable wouldn't happen to activate the starter would it??
--

Thorax1
Premium
Huntington Beach, CA
Psst, up above I detailed how the ignition switch is operated by a rod that runs down the top of the steering column.

It *should* be white in color (some have varying colors of plastic) with a metal sort of shroud, be fastened with 2 bolts that have slotted holes that allow you to adjust the "key throw" stroke.
MAKE MARKS BEFORE MOVING IT!!!!!!!!!

You can loosen the bolts and attempt to adjust out your woes...if the ignition switch is bad this won't help....but you have to remove the bolts to replace it anyways :\

plk
Premium
united state
reply to plk
Let me get this straight......The rod or cable like thing on top the column actvate the starter?

Thorax1
Premium
Huntington Beach, CA
Yes.
Follow it down the column to *near* the floorboard.
On the upper side of the column down there you will find the electrical portion of the ignition switch.
It should have *about* 15 wires going into it.
The rod engages and operates it.

All will become evident as you see it.

Thorax1
Premium
Huntington Beach, CA
BTW....
There are 2 nuts that hold the steering column up, it will be easier to access the ignition switch if you remove those and drop the column down.

YOU MUST remove the plastic cable that operates the gear indicator on the instrument cluster before dropping it down (it's either a thin metal clip or a single screw).
If you don't undo that plastic cable you probably will break it...it just mess it up so it doesn't work anymore.

Once you get in there you'll see it's actually fairly easy to do all of the above.

nothing2do
Premium
join:2005-03-26
Ralph, AL

1 recommendation

reply to plk
Click for full size
Not sure if this will help or not. The lever in your out-of-focus picture connects to a rod that activates the electrical ignition switch located on top of the steering tube under the dash as described by Thorax. More than likely the broke piece that you are talking about is the upper actuator shown in the attached picture. This can be purchased from your local Ford dealer. I believe that you will have to remove the key & tumbler from the removed collar to replace it. From your description I doubt that the electrical ignition switch is bad. You can test it by connecting the battery cable, ensure that the vehicle is in park with the parking brake set, and pulling out or pushing in on the lever in your picture. If I remember correct all the way out would be the accessory side of the switch, one push in would be off, one more push in for run and then a spring loaded push for start. Just be sure to disconnect the battery cable when finished. If you have never done this before good luck replacing the outer snap ring you removed after removing the steering wheel. That will probably be you hardest task.

Good Luck, N2do