spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ophelus
join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO

ophelus

Cancelling after a year.. Review

I've had a year with cyberonic and realistically there support has been lousy.. (maybe can't expect much from a reseller)

My biggest problem though is when I started my connection was generally stable and over time in fastpath mode it would become unstable at 5 p.m. to 10-11 p.m. my local time (aka lot's of disconnects and reconnects) and I did not find it acceptable to raise my MS and lower my speed by going into 'Safe Mode'

What I liked about cyberonic/covad was..
- Speed (best at the time)
- Static IP
- Level 3/wiltel backbone (wiltel isn't that great)

But since then comcast the carrier that booted me has upped there speed to 6 and 8 mbit equivalent and even with cyberonic/covad selling at 6.0 mbit I'd sink up during the good at 5.1-4 mbit (expected) and 4.5 to 3.0 mbit during the bad.. I know that comcast will deliver fully on the speed and even though I don't like there backbone that much (AT&T) I'll take a chance that I won't get kicked again (else I'll go with AT&T worldnet covad service next time)

The bad
- Support
- Price (eventually out-dated)
- Frequent Disconnects during peak times (took a while to get that way)
- $250 or so up front for modem and rebate took a while..

This is just my experience.. and is basically just a one year review.. bare in mind as is recommended here when you cancel do it 15 days prior.. and make sure to tell them you want your service turned off as late as possible (in this case they tell me I lose 2 days on my one year contract.. guess I paid for 363 days of service)
DonBrady
Premium Member
join:2002-06-20
Cary, NC

DonBrady

Premium Member

"realistically there support has been lousy."

You say this but give no examples of actual poor support..

Line quality is ultimately beyond their control in some cases.

I have had minimal problems and good support.
ophelus
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

ophelus

Examples..

- Unanswered emails
- Don't pick up the phone (which is weird)
- Telling me initially they could do some line tests or send out the phone company to try and fix the problem, then giving me a straight out flat no..
- Telling me that I can't call in when I want to go into safe mode and not (man if they gave me a switch.. I'd be glad to flip it myself)
- Not following through on what they say (only 10-20 days ago I was so fed up with the disconnects I asked to be put into safe mode.. I'm still in fastpath to this day.. means it didn't happen and tech support didn't do it)

I don't ever call tech support unless I have a problem or question.. I didn't expect much from them.. (it's because I think resellers are generally powerless) but I did have a problem develop/happen..

The difference here between this and comcast.. is I would never call comcast there's nothing I would ever need them to do (setup a email account or whatever is not my kind of tech support and truth be told I call tech support as a LAST RESORT!) bottom line my support issue where about the line and even then they where little to no help and of course your right they our and our not responsible based on the above information... (and comcast does have line issues or AT&T/@home did; it used to have outages every few hours.. not really much you can do but wait.. of course honestly I can't recall having these for more then 3 years ago so I think there pretty much non existent)

Here's one more reason I think they suck (as a company that can basically only do support they are a reseller after all) When I cancelled they didn't even ask me why? (cause they didn't care?) and they almost didn't give me my full year of service they where going to shut me down in a few days (this is from the 15 day cancellation policy) and call that fair? (he had to put me on hold to extend it to 363 days of the contract not 365 mind you)

Any way I'm not saying covad/cyberonic is a terrible company I am suggesting if you pay for 6 mbit and get 5.1 mbit and can't stay in fastpath you should go with another reseller.. like AT&T (which if I do business with covad again it will be with AT&T running cheaper mbit and price.. hopefully they may give you a static too) I'm also suggesting that on a price scale they are going into the unable to compete business with comcast offering 6-8 mbit once again raising the bar on speed that I'm not sure they can even get too.. that's .9 to 2.1 mbit more mbit for less money.. (once again don't like AT&T the backbone though.. love covads backbone here in town.. Level 3)

Neil6
Stop All The Downloadin
join:2003-08-20
New York, NY

Neil6

said by ophelus:

Examples..
- Don't pick up the phone (which is weird)
- Telling me that I can't call in when I want to go into safe mode and not (man if they gave me a switch.. I'd be glad to flip it myself)
Support is 9am to midnight every day. There's no reason the phone wouldn't be picked up within a reasonable number of rings during these hours (even if just to ask you to hold for a few minutes and listen to Frank)

If you're too far from the CO, or have some kind of physical line problems, it's possible that your line won't support the 6.0 speed, your options are then safe mode @ 4/768, or the lower tier or 3.0/768. You can't call in every day and ask to be switched. You gotta pick one.
ophelus
Kansas City, MO

ophelus

You ain't listening my line problem is that it's stable and will work at 6000 kpbs or 5.1 mbit (for real) and then de-stabilized during a certain period of time as I specified..

Don't give me some crap about picking safe mode or not.. this is a line quality problem that only happens during certain hours and didn't start out that way.. the one time where they didn't pick up the phone was just one particular call but it was a weird incident.. (and within there tech support hours) why is every one so defensive of cyberonic? Sounds like I know more about them and have called them more then all of you.. do you work for them?

Neil6
Stop All The Downloadin
New York, NY

Neil6

Yes.
HAL6664
join:2003-01-15
Beverly Hills, CA

HAL6664

An isolated occurrence? Voting with your wallet... right Neil?

Neil6
Stop All The Downloadin
New York, NY

Neil6

I don't know what you're referring to as being an isolated occurrence, but the fact that you replied to this topic solely for the purpose of being a troll is pretty annoying.
Wheezer5
join:2003-12-23

Wheezer5 to ophelus

to ophelus
said by ophelus:

- Unanswered emails
Hard to argue with this one.
takeda64
join:2005-07-19
Beverly Hills, CA

takeda64 to ophelus

to ophelus
If everything works right I don't really care about the support.

Actually after VIP switch I called Friday (I just called to confirm that I set up everything correctly - the range of IP's wasn't provided to me, just theIP for router, so I needed to guess netmask and IP for my host)
I was really surprised that my call was answered by a technician not some automat asking me to wait 1 hour.

My only worry is that I noticed that my service stopped working for a while twice (yesterday, and today - few minutes before).
HAL6664
join:2003-01-15
Beverly Hills, CA

HAL6664 to Neil6

to Neil6
This post exemplifies that you Neil are THE company troll; the lousy support that CyberMoronic provides and how you troll through ALL the threads & try to minimize or justify their pathetic support at every opportunity. The failure of the tech support staff to answer the phones and provide timely & meaningful service/support to the customers (who may really need it) is, by the way, not an "isolated occurrence".
mclemens68
join:2002-01-26
Libertyville, IL

mclemens68

Gimme a break - who's the one who dug up a 2 month old thread for the sole purposes of being a troll here HAL?

IgorKane
@depaul.edu

IgorKane

Anon

Where's the MOD in all this? But let's remember the first rule, everyone - do not feed the Troll.

But more on topic, I've not had a single e-mail answered that I've sent over the last three years. I prefer to call and listen to Frank if I have to. And getting through wasn't a big deal before this transition business started. Just... maybe they need to get a different CD after all these years.

BBR_InsUW
WT or CoH thats my Game

join:2000-04-22
La Mesa, CA

BBR_InsUW to ophelus

to ophelus
First dont feed Trolls

Second Hall There was no need to reply to this old post except to troll.

I have as I would normally due, not be overly strict, in letting people post, but Hall you are intentionally crossing the line to troll.
This is all I will say here and this topic is closed