17mm 1/180th F8 ISO100

ET's original
Click for full size
GIMP LAB Overlay Method
Click for full size
Canon EOS 10D
17mm 1/180th F8 ISO100

ET's apllication of Photoshop LAB Overlay Method
Translation/Derivative of the LAB Overlay Technique Edit This See Profile posted here: »Punch up those photos.......fast and easy.

A note before we begin: Its important to keep in mind Gimp treats the LAB colorspace very differently from Photoshop. For one, any changes you make will not be be visible until you do the final step. Gimp decomposes an image to the LAB colorspace using Grayscale layers, as opposed to PS's use of channels. In practice, this is more convenient for some operations, but less convenient overall. For this method... it is a bit more of a pain in the ass, with more steps. Here are those steps:

1)Open Image
2)Go to Image>Mode>Decompose
3)Check LAB, Check Decompose to Layers, hit OK
4)Open Layers dialog. Make only the B layer visible.
5)Duplicate B layer, set "B Copy" to overlay (Opacity is 100%).
6)Merge both B layers (Image>Merge Visible Layers/CTRL-M) Choose Expand as necessary (though other options don't make a difference in this case) Hit Ok.
7)Repeat steps #4 through #6 for the "A" layer.
8)Select "L" layer, apply a slight S curve, mostly adjusted towards the dark end of the curve. (GIMP's overlay is calculated a bit differently)
9)Image>Mode>Recompose and Make sure you select LAB with the correct layer order.

Thats it, the output will still be slightly more even of an exposure compared with PS... not quite as dark. (This may be a 8/16 bit side effect)

Edit This
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08

Edit This

Premium Member

Absolutely phenomenal work WaxPhoto See Profile. The Gimp image looks the best to my eyes.

WaxPhoto
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Fort Wayne, IN

WaxPhoto

Premium Member

Thanks... Did you do anything other than what you posted to 3b.jpg? Maybe blurring A&B channels a little?

Edit This
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Edit This

Premium Member

said by WaxPhoto:

Thanks... Did you do anything other than what you posted to 3b.jpg? Maybe blurring A&B channels a little?
As far as the original image....No. I used just the steps I posted. I used two separate layers to create this one....but....I did use the original LAB technique although each layer was processed differently and then combined into the final image. »Re: Punch up those photos.......fast and easy.

WaxPhoto
Premium Member
Fort Wayne, IN

WaxPhoto

Premium Member

Ok. One last question... In CS2, does this method work in 16 bit mode, and if so, was your output in 16 bit? (for the Image from your first post in that thread)
34140721 (banned)
Small Block Chevys Never Die..
join:2003-03-25

34140721 (banned) to Edit This

to Edit This
said by Edit This:

Absolutely phenomenal work WaxPhoto See Profile. The Gimp image looks the best to my eyes.
I concur...the Gimp photo is much better... Many thanks for sharing this and for your outstanding work...

Andrew J
Premium Member
join:2001-11-09
Lancaster, PA

Andrew J to WaxPhoto

Premium Member

to WaxPhoto
You seem to be doing a slight variation of this adjustment that takes 3 seconds in Elements and 16 bit:
»www.cambridgeincolour.co ··· ment.htm

WaxPhoto
Premium Member
Fort Wayne, IN

WaxPhoto

Premium Member

This does so much more than local contrast enhancement, though. Disregarding the color change, it may have a somewhat similar effect, but this method is for more than "stretching out" the color DR, which is all LCE really does. This method actually differentiates between hues. Read through some of ET's past LAB links.

Edit This
Premium Member

1 edit

Edit This to Andrew J

Premium Member

to Andrew J
said by Andrew J:

You seem to be doing a slight variation of this adjustment that takes 3 seconds in Elements and 16 bit:
»www.cambridgeincolour.co ··· ment.htm
From the link you provided Andrew J See Profile:

"Local contrast enhancement, as with sharpening, can also create unwanted color changes if performed on all three color channels. In addition, Local contrast enhancement can increase color saturation significantly. You can eliminate these unwanted effects by either performing local contrast enhancement in the lightness channel of the LAB color space, or in a separate layer (while still in an RGB working space) and blending using "luminosity" in the layers window.

Local contrast enhancement can also clip highlights in regions which are both very bright and adjacent to a darker region. For this reason, it should be performed before adjusting levels (if levels are used bring tones to the extreme highlights within the image histogram). This allows for a "buffer zone" when local contrast enhancement extends the lightest and darkest tones to full white or black, respectively.

Care should also be taken when using this technique because it can detract from the "smoothness" of tones within your image-- thereby changing its mood. Portrait photography is one area where one should be particularly cautious with this technique".

Nice link Andrew J See Profile.
Edit This

Edit This to WaxPhoto

Premium Member

to WaxPhoto
said by WaxPhoto:

Ok. One last question... In CS2, does this method work in 16 bit mode, and if so, was your output in 16 bit? (for the Image from your first post in that thread)
Yes it works in 16 bit mode.......No my posted output was 8 bit not 16.

WaxPhoto
Premium Member
Fort Wayne, IN

WaxPhoto

Premium Member

said by Edit This:
said by WaxPhoto:

Yes it works in 16 bit mode.......No my posted output was 8 bit not 16.
Ok. So now all I have to determine is if GIMP uses a different algorithm for overlay blending mode, compared to PS. If it doesn't, then it must be the LAB process that is different.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

1 edit

timcuth to WaxPhoto

Premium Member

to WaxPhoto
Click for full size
Canon PowerShot A60
13.4mm 1/640th F4.5

Click for full size
Click for full size
I have been trying all day to get a handle on this technique. I have read several tutorials and, instead of them helping, I have only become more confused.

Here are three samples. Unedited is the shot straight from the camera. lab_no_contrast is only doing the overlay technique on the decomposed B and A layers. lab_contrast adds the s-curve to the L-layer. Does it appear that I am doing things, correctly?

I have more questions, but I will save them for a while.

Tim
timcuth

1 edit

timcuth to WaxPhoto

Premium Member

to WaxPhoto
PS - Sorry, I should have done something to make the files smaller. I was so focused on the technique I neglected to do so.

PPS - Never mind. I figured out how to fix it.

Tim
bobny1
join:2004-09-10
Bronx, NY

bobny1

Click for full size
Click for full size
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
ISOARRAY(0xb666f60)

This is a Picture i took from my window today.