sleep apnea sucks
MVM
join:2001-02-28
Greenwood, IN

4 edits

6 recommendations

babacher

MVM

[Team Discovery New Members Only] How did you hear of TD?

Howdy, New Members!

Please tell us how you found out about Team Discovery.

Information like this will help us in our "marketing" efforts.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

1 edit

5 recommendations

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

Re: [OT] New Members: How did you hear about TD?

Great Capt! Going to close the previous one: »New Members Please Read!

I followed a sig on a post and saw the wonderful family in here, and decided to stay forever

suchageek
Premium Member
join:2002-12-22
Saint Louis, MO

4 recommendations

suchageek

Premium Member

I was trying to get a Gmail account when they were at a premium and AndrewJ made a deal with me that he'd send me an account if I agreed to crunch. Looking back I realized I was coerced.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing

2 recommendations

squirt to babacher

MVM

to babacher
I'm not all that new ... but for me it was 'word of mouth' ... my big brother would bug me every once in a while, and i finally downloaded the software and started crunching ....

BadHat
Hook'M Horns
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Rosa's Place

1 recommendation

BadHat to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
I came across dslreports.com and just happened upon TD. Then I saw the need to crunch.

jlhugh
Premium Member
join:2001-09-07
Cedar Creek, TX

2 recommendations

jlhugh to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
I believe that I first saw a seti globe and did a little bit moer digging and found this forum and the rest is history. I can here to find out about broadband and ended up trying to find a cure.

nxl5150
Premium Member
join:2001-09-20
Bensalem, PA

3 recommendations

nxl5150 to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
I humbly suggest that all members share their stories as well if babacher See Profile doesn't mind.

A close friend informed me of the concept behind SETI and I thought it was absolutely intriguing. A few months later, I found that DSLR had a SETI team. When I looked further, I was surprised to find that there were other DSLR DC projects out there as well.

Soon I found Team Discovery, and decided to join because I supported and respected its goal. That was almost four years ago, and I certainly haven't decided to give up!

Dersgniw
Disco Crunchin
MVM
join:2001-08-10
behind you

3 recommendations

Dersgniw

MVM

That means I have to think waaayyy back to when I was just a lad... hmmmm...

I crunched for Team USA with UD at first because I couldn't find a more appropriate team for myself since I didn't really do much "chatting" online... I think I was just looking through the forums here because I had just hooked up with DSL and found these "Clubs"... sounded fun and the people were nice.

Never thought I'd end up making friends, building stats, and becoming addicted to crunching for the cause!

babacher
sleep apnea sucks
MVM
join:2001-02-28
Greenwood, IN

1 edit

4 recommendations

babacher to nxl5150

MVM

to nxl5150
said by nxl5150:

I humbly suggest that all members share their stories as well if babacher See Profile doesn't mind.
Not at all!

I was crunching SETI@Home about six years ago. After some months, I read that there was a cancer DC project (UD) that offered cash prizes to the best participants - I think it was $50/month. Shortly thereafter, they stopped giving away cash, but I kept doing it anyway because it was a good cause.

About a year later I was looking to get broadband internet, and found DSLReports.com. After a few months of hanging out at DSLR, I stumbled across the Team Discovery forum. That was the first time I knew there were DC TEAMS! At first I was confused by the team concept, but after reading in the TD forum for a while I signed up.

I think that was October of 2001. I've never looked back, and I'm glad to be here.

Luvfishin
I guess things happen that way
Premium Member
join:2001-12-06
Canada

2 recommendations

Luvfishin to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
I forget...dohhhhh..lol

I think I just stumbled upon it here. I also think I was curious on what the spinner was all about.

I'm glad to be here!

Bob Sanchez
MOJO FOR BILL
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Margate, FL.

2 recommendations

Bob Sanchez to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
I was also intrigued by the spinner and the rest is history.

Arelay
They call me Obi-Ron
Premium Member
join:2002-08-14

6 recommendations

Arelay to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
The Spinner Made Me Do It

I initially came to BBR, then DSLR, in a work related capacity helping customers in the 5-state area with DSL connection problems. I joined because it seemed like a good idea and the cool spinner was a bonus.

Shortly after joining I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma. The support, thoughts and prayers I received from the members was phenomenal. When the biopsy came back benign, my doctor was completely shocked. He said, "I would have bet one hundred dollars it was cancerous." Thanks, Doc.

I believe this team's support played no small role in this. It convinced me that this is a group of very special people and maybe there was another reason why I found myself here besides just a silly little spinner.

JMartin
Premium Member
join:2001-03-20
Dallas, TX

JMartin to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
It's been so long, I had to go look what I put last time.

bbrcat
Remembering Lisa...
MVM
join:2000-12-09
FL

2 recommendations

bbrcat to babacher

MVM

to babacher
I was introduced to here by my buddy slash and I will never look back !
(thank you John !!!)

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

1 recommendation

EUS to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
I was updating my dslreports network setup in my account, and somehow stumbled onto a section with a couple (3) crunching teams.
Read about the purpose, and put my extra cpus to use!

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

2 recommendations

south1178 to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
I'm not all that new. I crunch and lurk more than anything . I stumbled into TD by chance. I'm glad I am here to help what I can. I know a lot of people affected by cancer and I know every cycle I crunch is one step closer to ending it.

-South

nfx
The Wire
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Vancouver, BC

3 edits

3 recommendations

nfx to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
I believe i heard about distributed computing like SETI and UD on The Screensavers in 2001. It sounded interesting, distributed computing, so i decided to check it out. At that time, i thought to myself, "Finding aliens? Sounds stupid, and a waste of resources", so i went straight for UD. So then i ran UD for a few months, and after numerous plugs by Leo on TSS about DSLR, i finally joined this site. During the first few months, i went around the forums and noticed that there were DSLR DC teams. I was pretty sure that 1 team was for UD, but i was too lazy to read around so i put off joining till sometime after. I'm guessing around 5 months after joining DSLR, i read the DC forums and saw that UD had a team here, so i joined.

kim
MVM,
join:2001-03-25
ON

3 recommendations

kim to babacher

MVM,

to babacher
Like many others I was curious about the 'spinners' I had seen. Once I was sure that I wasn't compromising my computer I was hooked. Everyone helped me get up and running and I was off to the races so to speak.

I dropped out after many problems with O/S's and many re installs I went a long time without any crunching on my machine. Luvfishin See Profile's father died of cancer and was motivated to reload everything again.

AFK_BOT
join:2005-06-05
Gwynn Oak, MD

1 recommendation

AFK_BOT to babacher

to babacher
iam just such a geek i had to, seems like the thing to do:)

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium Member
join:2003-05-20
Wild West

3 recommendations

Smokey to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
Gosh, I cant even remember what I did last week, and you want to know about something so long ago?

I'm not sure what got me to try it the first time, but I know the storm lady kept after me when the original HD I installed UD on died within hours of the install. I tell ya, Lisa is nothing if not persistent.

stillrunnin
So What? You Gotta Problem With That?
Premium Member
join:2003-12-27
Frederick,MD

1 recommendation

stillrunnin to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
that little spinner thingy.
and my brother BOB (YO BOB) SANCHEZ told me about it.
now everyone is gonna want to know what YO BOB is all about.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
Purple Zone

lilhurricane to babacher

Numquam oblita

to babacher
*bump*

Mercurybird
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
Hooks, TX

2 recommendations

Mercurybird to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
I saw it from the Forums list. Glad I dropped in. I'm here to stay also.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
MVM,
join:2001-01-27
22152-1106
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

4 recommendations

grobinette to babacher

MVM,

to babacher

Re: New Members: How did you hear about TD?

Hmm, started with the now relocated Team Ecology and got interested in the concept of working with such an array of people from so many places and backgrounds to accomplish a common goal.
I stuck my toes in the crunching waters with the now defunct Team Endeavor and found both the good and the bad of a team effort - Mostly good. When TE was wrapping up it's first phase, I sensed the writing on the wall, knew that I was seriously hooked on crunching, and started lurking in this and Team Helix's forum for both a good project and a good group to be with.

To me - the goal of this team's projects were the right choice and hanging in this forum felt as comfy as putting on your favorite pair of jeans. So here I am.

Linoobux
Premium Member
join:2005-07-31
Columbus, GA

2 recommendations

Linoobux to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
Saw the spinners, checked out the forums to see what it was all about.
So without the folks here at BBR, I wouldn't have found out about the program.
Thanks Y'all.:)

zachsnc
Webhosting Nerd
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Lexington, SC

2 recommendations

zachsnc

Premium Member

I found it whilst fumbling around on the forums, and I was glad to donate cycles to it.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

2 recommendations

signmeuptoo94 to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
I checked the clubs list after asking in a thread what the spinners were about. That's way back when I had an older Pentium II 300. I have returned to the fold.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
Purple Zone

lilhurricane to babacher

Numquam oblita

to babacher
*bumping* for our new members

marti
Color outside the lines
MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

marti to babacher

MVM

to babacher
I leared of the project from another website that has a team.

Kett2000
Premium Member
join:2002-04-23
Lilburn, GA

1 recommendation

Kett2000 to babacher

Premium Member

to babacher
I previously was a member and decided to join back when an old
celeron 900mhz came in my possession.

Glad to be back.