FL
·Comcast XFINITY
ARRIS SBG900

4 edits

9 recommendations

bbrcat

MVM

[Team Discovery New Members Only] Introductions

Since we are all family here,it would be great to carry on the tradition of letting one another know who we are and/or what we are about(as we did in older link below).

If I may,I will kick it off.

I am bbrcat See Profile and my name is Jim.I am 50 y/o and a Pharmacist.
I hail from North Conway,NH,in the heart of the White Mountains and(thanks to my buddy slash)have been crunching in my Mom's memory for about 2 years now.

OLDER link- »Introductions

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing

1 edit

6 recommendations

squirt

MVM

Re: [OT] Introductions

OK.

My name is Denise. I'm in my mid-40s and I work (teach/research) at a university on the Canadian prairies ...

My mother died from cancer in her brain and lungs, and my husband has had a bit of skin cancer.

I started crunching ... well, I don't remember when ... but the date on my profile will have the start date .. and I'm way too lazy to actually open up another tab in the browser to look at it ...

BadHat
Hook'M Horns
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Rosa's Place

5 recommendations

BadHat to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
My name is Bill. I am 53. I work for at&t in systems support. I come from central Texas and crunch because my wife has fought cancer on and off throughout her life and has lost family members due to cancer.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

6 recommendations

lilhurricane to bbrcat

Numquam oblita

to bbrcat
I'm Lisa

From New York originally, transplanted to Florida...

Member of Team Discovery since '03 or thereabouts.

Lost many friends and family to cancer, and I am committed to finding a cure in this lifetime.

I've no doubt with what we are contributing, we are well on our way.

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium Member
join:2003-05-20
Wild West

5 recommendations

Smokey to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
I have been ordered to update, and I'm not one to fight mother nature, so here is the skinny on big ol me.

Will is the name, but folks call me Smokey. The name comes from my days as a firefighter back in AZ. I was born and pretty much raised in that town, but now call the beach of VA home. I work as a police officer for the Department of Defense.

I joined because I know both from work experience, and personal family experience what cancer does both to the body, and to the mind, not to mention the family.

Dersgniw
Disco Crunchin
MVM
join:2001-08-10
behind you

5 recommendations

Dersgniw to bbrcat

MVM

to bbrcat
Normally I need no introduction, but....

My name is Brian. I grew up outside of Detroit. I've also lived in Philadelphia, Indiana and Cincinnati. I currently live in s.e. Ohio in the sticks and work up in Columbus developing software. Next stop, your town. Can't say why I joined, but I'm definitely glad I did.

SliderNC
Master Of Disaster
Premium Member
join:2002-12-12
Cornelius, NC

1 edit

5 recommendations

SliderNC to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Can't believe I never introduced myself in the prior thread.

My name is Gerald. I'm a senior systems analyst for Western Union currently residing in Cornelius, NC. I'm married with two cats. When I'm not crashing servers, I'm a volunteer firefighter in the current town I live in.

I started crunching back last year and have been crunching on and off for both projects since then. The main reason for crunching is that I have lost too many family members to cancer. My wife was diagnosed with cervical cancer (the preliminary stages of it) when she was younger, but had surgery to remove it and has been fine ever since (we'll even be able to have kids!).

MgKnight
Cancer Survivor
MVM
join:2000-08-04
East Freetown, MA

6 recommendations

MgKnight to bbrcat

MVM

to bbrcat
Greetings from sunny S Florida!

My name is Bill and I am a cancer survivor. I am originally from Massachusetts and will be moving back soon.

I lost a younger brother to cancer a few years ago. That is incentive enough to join the fight to find a cure. My survival from it is like the frosting on the cake.

Arelay
They call me Obi-Ron
Premium Member
join:2002-08-14

5 recommendations

Arelay to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
My name is Ron. I'm 45. I work for at&t as a communications technician in Tulsa,OK but things can change in a hurry.

Joined the team in 2002. Seemed to me to be a good idea at the time. Turns out I was right.

JMartin
Premium Member
join:2001-03-20
Dallas, TX

3 recommendations

JMartin to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
My name is Jeff.
I'm 52 and married for 27 of them and we have 3 grown kids.
Work as a technical advisor for a banking technologies firm here in Dallas.

Not much has changed since the last update and I guess that's a good thing.

Ray422
MVM
join:2002-03-04
Lost

8 recommendations

Ray422 to bbrcat

MVM

to bbrcat
Hello, my name is Ray (betcha couldn't guess). I don't work, cause I'm too smart for that. I am 30 years old, very intelligent(1) and very handsome(2).

(1)intelligent...Actually I maintain a genius IQ
(2)handsome...Actually a male model for Mr. Vogue magazine

....and I never lie:):)

bjbdbest
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
OuttaMyMind

4 recommendations

bjbdbest to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Hi - Beverly here...aka beej. I live in the Big Apple but have traveled extensively. Formerly worked in the medical field till required family caretaker needs took me in another direction. I crunch for the same reasons as the rest of my mates - Kicking "C" Butt!

jlhugh
Premium Member
join:2001-09-07
Cedar Creek, TX

5 recommendations

jlhugh to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
My name is Jason. I am 31 and I am a purchasing manager/IT Guy at a steel company. Born and raised in Texas and currently settled down in Wichita Falls, TX. I started crunching in 2002 to help find a cure then my mom died of liver cancer very fast so now I crunch for her and everybody else that has lost a loved one the this terrible disease.

Elderberry
Premium Member
join:2001-07-24
Shreveport, LA

5 recommendations

Elderberry to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
My name is Mike. Youngerberrys older and better looking brother! Lost our father to lung cancer some years ago. Crunching to find a cure. Until one is found you can help cut the losses to cancer. If you smoke, STOP! Now!

White Rose
Willi Graf
Premium Member
join:2005-07-25

7 recommendations

White Rose to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
My name is David, and I live in Phoenix, Arizona, where I write policy for a state government agency. I've been crunching for a couple of years now, doing my little bit to help find a cure.

Aggie Dan
Stop... Reverse That.
Premium Member
join:2001-01-30
Frisco, TX

6 recommendations

Aggie Dan to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
I'm Dan... Well, that didn't take a lot to figure out, from my name. And surprise, surprise, I went to Texas A&M. I work for Verizon (no I can't fix your DSL or FIOS). I'm 31 years old and one of those annoying guys that knows enough to tick off the IT department by building rogue databases.

I'm from Texas. Born in Texas... And, God willing, I'll die in Texas. I'm probably one of the lightest skinned people you'll ever meet that was born with a hispanic last name. Though, I've lived up and down the I-35 Corridor, spending most of my time in the Corpus Christi area and the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I've been married now for three and a half years to a woman that wasn't born in Texas, but by God she got here as fast as she could.

I've been crunching since 2001... Dang, has it been that long? And I've got many reasons for crunching... It is partially in memory of my maternal grandmother Idolina Marie Govella, maternal grandfather Daniel Treviño Govella, and paternal grandfather Manuel Luera.

And, to be honest, it is also for future self-preservation. With three grandparents having died of various forms of cancer, my odds aren't what you'd exactly call stellar. So, I'm doing what I can now. So, if I do get something... Well, at least I've been fighting it my entire life... And buddy, I'm going down swinging.

slash
MVM
join:2001-03-01
Boston

5 recommendations

slash to bbrcat

MVM

to bbrcat
I'm John. I've been around Team Disco since early 2002. I'm from Boston and have been working for a large investment firm there.

I know too many people that have died from cancer and thought it would be irresponsible of me not to join.

DarwinDee
Not From Around Here
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
Carbondale, IL

4 recommendations

DarwinDee to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
My name is Darwin, and I'm a crunchaholic...

I'm also 49 years old, the happily married father of two teenagers, and a professional multimedia designer/consultant. In my spare time I like to sleep...

nxl5150
Premium Member
join:2001-09-20
Bensalem, PA

7 recommendations

nxl5150 to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
My name is Neil.

I'm 33 years old and a Pharmacist. I'm originally from northeastern PA (near Wilkes-Barre/Scranton), and now live just north of Philadelphia. I began crunching for TD almost four years ago, and I have no intention of stopping. It's the very least I can do for such a great cause.

tiggerstales

join:2000-08-25
B'ham, Al.

7 recommendations

tiggerstales to bbrcat

to bbrcat

Is this not the sweetest face?
The picture of me was taken a few days ago, to show someone my new glasses. (I had LASIK a few years ago, but the glasses help for driving at night.) I'm 53 (ouch!), and newly single. I'm a team leader in the corporate trust division of a fairly large regional bank.

I honestly can't remember how long I've been running TSC, but I know it's been at least a couple of years. Before that, all of my boxes were folding...I've been a member of Team Helix since its inception, and still fold on a couple of processors. I am passionate about both TSC & F@H, and I know we're accomplishing good things.

I am also passionate about photography and cats. I currently have 6 of my own indoors and feed 8 outdoors every day. All of the outdoor cats have been spayed/neutered and tested negative for FeLV & FIV. It's so nice every evening to see them all lined up in a row waiting for their dinner. I always know that somebody loves me. My most recent addition came from the alley. She has a chronic medical condition that requires daily medication, and I knew she wouldn't survive on the street. She was so sick and thin when I first brought her inside in November, but she's getting to be so pretty.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

6 recommendations

timcuth to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Hi. I am Tim and I am 54 years old. I am an Oracle DBA. I am married and I have two sons (see my avatar), ages 14 and 7.

I crunch because I was asked by my best friend when the terrorism scare was huge and smallpox seemed to be a threat. I think my high-powered, high priced PC's can be doing something worthwhile when they are not doing anything else.

I am a lifelong baseball fan and I've been for the Atlanta Braves through thick and thin (the past 14 years not withstanding, it has mostly been thin) since they came to Atlanta in 1966.

I love reading. My favorite authors are Stephen King and Patrick O'Brian. I love music and I have too many favorites to list, but I will mention Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles.

Tim

E_V
Premium Member
join:2000-09-29
Mexico

1 edit

5 recommendations

E_V to Smokey

Premium Member

to Smokey
Holly - I'm young enough to be your older sister. I've been crunching since 10/10/2003.

My friend Kirsten is fighting breast cancer. She just finished chemotherapy and is now doing radiation for 5 weeks. My Grandmother died of Leukemia and allowed Doctors to use experimental drugs on her years ago for the cause. My best friend's son, Glen died from cancer 4 years ago (she also just lost her husband to an accidental death).

oops! didn't mean to post reply to the fuzzy bear

ColdinCbus
Premium Member
join:2002-12-28
Columbus, OH

1 edit

5 recommendations

ColdinCbus to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Hello all, my given name is Peter and am 35 years old. I am married with two children, both boys and to my mother's glee (via the curse "I hope you have a child just like you" she put on me when I was a teen)... spitting images of what I was like as a child. You should all should pity Mrs. Cbus as she has to deal with 3 trouble making boys.

I have been crunching for many years and do it in the memory of a dear friend.

Dolphin
RIP lilhurricane
MVM
join:2002-08-19
The Ocean

2 edits

6 recommendations

Dolphin to bbrcat

MVM

to bbrcat
Okay, here I go:

My name is Dolphin Jacquie. I used to be a licensed paramedic but gave it up for personal reasons. Currently, I work at a university in IL as an Office Assistant (which means I do *everything*). I enjoy my job but would like to start a new career in IT. Hopefully one day I'll make it happen.

I started crunching in 2002, I believe. I crunch for numerous reasons. The main reason being I want to be part of a group of people that believe. People that believe that we really can, and will, find a cure for cancer and are willing to work toward that goal. I'm a believer in what we do here. I honestly think one day we'll find a cure. And just think, we can work hard AND have fun

My favorite hobbies are watching football, reading and tinkering with computers. I love animals and have a strong affinity for dolphins.

I lost my mother and grandmother to cancer. My crunchers are dedicated to Roberta and Barbara, grandmother and mother, respectively.

stillrunnin
So What? You Gotta Problem With That?
Premium Member
join:2003-12-27
Frederick,MD

6 recommendations

stillrunnin to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
My name is Rich. I am 39 yrs young and married for 12 yrs to the hottest woman alive.(sorry to let others down;))
was born in miami and lived there for 26 yrs. went to Maryland for 12 yrs and am now back in Florida. but going back to Maryland at the end of april.(long story) have a 10 yr old daughter. have been a fire sprinkler fitter for many yrs in local 669.»www.sprinklerfitters669.org
younger brother of Bob Sanchez and have been crunchin for a couple yrs now. brother and mom have been fighting this nasty for awhile.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

1 edit

1 recommendation

lilhurricane to bbrcat

Numquam oblita

to bbrcat
^^TTT^^

Mercurybird
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
Hooks, TX

7 recommendations

Mercurybird to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
I'm Jim. I live in northeast Texas near Texarkana. I have a lovely wife named Olivia and two beautiful daughters named Charity Dawn and Autumn Eve. Charity is married with children, and Autumn is a senior in high school.

I am 48 and I work in the boiler room of a large medical center. I love studying the bible, helping people with their computers and software, watching the Science Channel and Charlie Rose, listening to christian alternative music, and letting people know that I love them and care about them. Liv' and I love PC gaming. Right now we're playing Half-Life 2 and all things Thief. Revisiting the great old game of Descent 2 as I found a way to make it run, and look beautiful in Windows XP. I excersize with a killer pushup that I do, some weights, and mainly an eliptical trainer. I'm at level 5 at a speed of 1.4 for 30 minutes, three times a week. I'm ready to jump to level 6.

Well I hope this tells you enough about me.

TXsaltangler
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
New Braunfels, TX

2 edits

4 recommendations

TXsaltangler to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Hi all! My name is David, I'm 56, and live in the beautiful town of New Braunfels which is located just north of San Antonio, Texas. I was born and raised in Texas and grew up in Port Lavaca, Texas which is located on the central Texas coast. I too am a graduate of Texas A&M...so, HOWDY! Aggie Dan and all of the other Aggies out there.

I have been in the steel business for too many years to count and work for the Austin branch of Namasco Corp. which is located in the small town of Buda just south of Austin. We are a steel service center / warehouse and sell steel to the construction industry. industrial plants, and steel fabricators throughout central and south Texas. There I work in the sales department and I am also the branch IT guy. I should carry a sign saying, "The problem is not here...It's with one of the servers in Atlanta, so I can't fix it."

I am a single parent of a 15 year old who is a sophomore in high school. I also have two other children one which is 26 y.o., out of school and on his own, and a daughter in her junior year at A&M.

I became a member of this site when I was crunching for SETI and joined the the SETI team here. Shortly there after I joined Team Discovery and in the beginning crunched for UD and am now mostly crunching for TSC...because TSC had fewer active crunchers and I thought they could use some help...but more importantly because I love the little people!!! I am a moderator for a couple other forum sites on the web and being a single parent I find my time very limited...so I don't post here much but I do visit the forums here @ dslreports often.

When I'm not working and being a dad, I repair and build computers, work in the yard, do some amateur photography, and play the guitar. OHHHHH!!!!! If you can't tell by my BBR name, I love to fish in the bays along the Gulf Coast.

I wish all of you a GREAT day and let's keep 'em crunching for the cause!!!

David

mig
MVM
join:2000-10-26
Anytown, USA

mig

MVM

said by TXsaltangler:

Hi all! My name is David, I'm 56, and live in the beautiful town of New Braunfels which is located just north of San Antonio, Texas. I was born and raised in Texas and grew up in Port Lavaca, Texas which is located on the central Texas coast.
Wow!

I thought I was the only person on the planet that grew up in Port Lavaca!

Go Sandcrabs!

TXsaltangler
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
New Braunfels, TX

1 recommendation

TXsaltangler

Premium Member

Oh my!!!! MD, I graduated in 1968. My dad taught at the high school and my mom was the librarian at Jefferson Elementary and later at Travis. It IS a small world!!!

Just like my grandfather used to tell me....No matter where you are, somebody knows you!!!