join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

6 recommendations

timcuth to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat

Re: [OT] Introductions

Hi. I am Tim and I am 54 years old. I am an Oracle DBA. I am married and I have two sons (see my avatar), ages 14 and 7.

I crunch because I was asked by my best friend when the terrorism scare was huge and smallpox seemed to be a threat. I think my high-powered, high priced PC's can be doing something worthwhile when they are not doing anything else.

I am a lifelong baseball fan and I've been for the Atlanta Braves through thick and thin (the past 14 years not withstanding, it has mostly been thin) since they came to Atlanta in 1966.

I love reading. My favorite authors are Stephen King and Patrick O'Brian. I love music and I have too many favorites to list, but I will mention Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles.

Tim

E_V
Premium Member
join:2000-09-29
Mexico

1 edit

5 recommendations

E_V to Smokey

Premium Member

to Smokey
Holly - I'm young enough to be your older sister. I've been crunching since 10/10/2003.

My friend Kirsten is fighting breast cancer. She just finished chemotherapy and is now doing radiation for 5 weeks. My Grandmother died of Leukemia and allowed Doctors to use experimental drugs on her years ago for the cause. My best friend's son, Glen died from cancer 4 years ago (she also just lost her husband to an accidental death).

oops! didn't mean to post reply to the fuzzy bear

ColdinCbus
Premium Member
join:2002-12-28
Columbus, OH

1 edit

5 recommendations

ColdinCbus to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Hello all, my given name is Peter and am 35 years old. I am married with two children, both boys and to my mother's glee (via the curse "I hope you have a child just like you" she put on me when I was a teen)... spitting images of what I was like as a child. You should all should pity Mrs. Cbus as she has to deal with 3 trouble making boys.

I have been crunching for many years and do it in the memory of a dear friend.

Dolphin
RIP lilhurricane
MVM
join:2002-08-19
The Ocean

2 edits

6 recommendations

Dolphin to bbrcat

MVM

to bbrcat
Okay, here I go:

My name is Dolphin Jacquie. I used to be a licensed paramedic but gave it up for personal reasons. Currently, I work at a university in IL as an Office Assistant (which means I do *everything*). I enjoy my job but would like to start a new career in IT. Hopefully one day I'll make it happen.

I started crunching in 2002, I believe. I crunch for numerous reasons. The main reason being I want to be part of a group of people that believe. People that believe that we really can, and will, find a cure for cancer and are willing to work toward that goal. I'm a believer in what we do here. I honestly think one day we'll find a cure. And just think, we can work hard AND have fun

My favorite hobbies are watching football, reading and tinkering with computers. I love animals and have a strong affinity for dolphins.

I lost my mother and grandmother to cancer. My crunchers are dedicated to Roberta and Barbara, grandmother and mother, respectively.

stillrunnin
So What? You Gotta Problem With That?
Premium Member
join:2003-12-27
Frederick,MD

6 recommendations

stillrunnin to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
My name is Rich. I am 39 yrs young and married for 12 yrs to the hottest woman alive.(sorry to let others down;))
was born in miami and lived there for 26 yrs. went to Maryland for 12 yrs and am now back in Florida. but going back to Maryland at the end of april.(long story) have a 10 yr old daughter. have been a fire sprinkler fitter for many yrs in local 669.»www.sprinklerfitters669.org
younger brother of Bob Sanchez and have been crunchin for a couple yrs now. brother and mom have been fighting this nasty for awhile.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

1 edit

1 recommendation

lilhurricane to bbrcat

Numquam oblita

to bbrcat
^^TTT^^

Mercurybird
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
Hooks, TX

7 recommendations

Mercurybird to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
I'm Jim. I live in northeast Texas near Texarkana. I have a lovely wife named Olivia and two beautiful daughters named Charity Dawn and Autumn Eve. Charity is married with children, and Autumn is a senior in high school.

I am 48 and I work in the boiler room of a large medical center. I love studying the bible, helping people with their computers and software, watching the Science Channel and Charlie Rose, listening to christian alternative music, and letting people know that I love them and care about them. Liv' and I love PC gaming. Right now we're playing Half-Life 2 and all things Thief. Revisiting the great old game of Descent 2 as I found a way to make it run, and look beautiful in Windows XP. I excersize with a killer pushup that I do, some weights, and mainly an eliptical trainer. I'm at level 5 at a speed of 1.4 for 30 minutes, three times a week. I'm ready to jump to level 6.

Well I hope this tells you enough about me.

TXsaltangler
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
New Braunfels, TX

2 edits

4 recommendations

TXsaltangler to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Hi all! My name is David, I'm 56, and live in the beautiful town of New Braunfels which is located just north of San Antonio, Texas. I was born and raised in Texas and grew up in Port Lavaca, Texas which is located on the central Texas coast. I too am a graduate of Texas A&M...so, HOWDY! Aggie Dan and all of the other Aggies out there.

I have been in the steel business for too many years to count and work for the Austin branch of Namasco Corp. which is located in the small town of Buda just south of Austin. We are a steel service center / warehouse and sell steel to the construction industry. industrial plants, and steel fabricators throughout central and south Texas. There I work in the sales department and I am also the branch IT guy. I should carry a sign saying, "The problem is not here...It's with one of the servers in Atlanta, so I can't fix it."

I am a single parent of a 15 year old who is a sophomore in high school. I also have two other children one which is 26 y.o., out of school and on his own, and a daughter in her junior year at A&M.

I became a member of this site when I was crunching for SETI and joined the the SETI team here. Shortly there after I joined Team Discovery and in the beginning crunched for UD and am now mostly crunching for TSC...because TSC had fewer active crunchers and I thought they could use some help...but more importantly because I love the little people!!! I am a moderator for a couple other forum sites on the web and being a single parent I find my time very limited...so I don't post here much but I do visit the forums here @ dslreports often.

When I'm not working and being a dad, I repair and build computers, work in the yard, do some amateur photography, and play the guitar. OHHHHH!!!!! If you can't tell by my BBR name, I love to fish in the bays along the Gulf Coast.

I wish all of you a GREAT day and let's keep 'em crunching for the cause!!!

David

mig
MVM
join:2000-10-26
Anytown, USA

mig

MVM

said by TXsaltangler:

Hi all! My name is David, I'm 56, and live in the beautiful town of New Braunfels which is located just north of San Antonio, Texas. I was born and raised in Texas and grew up in Port Lavaca, Texas which is located on the central Texas coast.
Wow!

I thought I was the only person on the planet that grew up in Port Lavaca!

Go Sandcrabs!

TXsaltangler
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
New Braunfels, TX

1 recommendation

TXsaltangler

Premium Member

Oh my!!!! MD, I graduated in 1968. My dad taught at the high school and my mom was the librarian at Jefferson Elementary and later at Travis. It IS a small world!!!

Just like my grandfather used to tell me....No matter where you are, somebody knows you!!!

kim
MVM,
join:2001-03-25
ON

6 recommendations

kim to bbrcat

MVM,

to bbrcat

Re: Introductions

Hi my name is Kim. Everyone that knows me calls me Kimmy.

I live just west of Toronto Canada. I was born in polar bear country on a naval base in Churchill Manitoba. It's very far north and usually where all programs about polar bears are filmed.

I've been crunchin for a while and am also too lazy to go look My reasons are many. When I was about 20 my friend Cathy died from bone cancer. My mother from lung cancer. My grandmother would have died of brain cancer had she not taken a nasty fall. My grandfather - cancer, my Uncle John - cancer. My cervical cancer was caught and successfully removed early. This past saturday my Aunt died of a rare lung cancer.

Luvfishin
I guess things happen that way
Premium Member
join:2001-12-06
Canada

5 recommendations

Luvfishin to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Hi, I'm Andreas, 42 and single. Living north of the 49th and self employed.

Love fishing and hanging out on the water.

Lost too many loved ones to cancer and crunching is just "too easy" to do. The pain of losing someone is what needs to be stopped.

I've got 3 machines crunching and am proud to be a member of this great family.

jerry666
Premium Member
join:2002-12-12
Sainte-Anne-Des-Lacs, QC

3 recommendations

jerry666 to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
jerry . 48 . lost many freinds and relatives to cancer , just hope this project succeeds . 3 comps crunching 24/7 ,hope i can get 1 or 2 more going from spare parts .

Linoobux
Premium Member
join:2005-07-31
Columbus, GA

3 recommendations

Linoobux to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Hi Everyone,
My name is Preston, nothing special about me, just a Po' boy from Georgia.:)
Lost several family members over the years to cancer, I'm hoping we can make a difference, even if only a small one.

zachsnc
Webhosting Nerd
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Lexington, SC

3 recommendations

zachsnc

Premium Member

Hi,
I'm Zach, 20 years old. I live in a small town in South Carolina. I am currently contracting web design, and I run a webhosting business (ask). My grandmother is a 3 time breast cancer survivor, and is also part of the ACA. Plus I have several computers of which I can donate cycles to.

jakejarvis
Premium Member
join:2005-08-30
Basking Ridge, NJ

5 recommendations

jakejarvis to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
I'm Jake, I'm in 8th grade, I run a tech weblog at »jakejarvis.com, I love Apple, and I'm glad to be here at DSLR.
Expand your moderator at work

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane to bbrcat

Numquam oblita

to bbrcat

Re: Introductions

*bump* for our newer members

EdMulock
2,173,000 cobblestones
join:2001-12-22
Darien, CT

3 recommendations

EdMulock to bbrcat

to bbrcat
Hi,

Im Ed. A retired systems consultant and computer fanatic from Connecticut. I teach seniors the basics, and support a couple of non-profits with Access applications run their operations.
I got permission from the town to crunch on their computers at the senior center, and even got an article in the local rag about the search for cures. I take the long view of our research and now crunch Rosetta, although I have done both TSC and Ligandfit.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

3 recommendations

Asiabound to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Hello - I'm Michael. I am 47 years old, born in Brooklyn, New York and raised on my grandparent's vegetable farm in Westport, Connecticut. I currently live in Antioch, Illinois with my wife and daughter.
My father died of lung cancer 5 years ago, his father met the same fate at 49 years old, and I have a 36 year old friend battling lung cancer now. I have known quite a few other people that have been taken by this disease. I only have one computer available to help now, but that will change in the coming months.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

6 recommendations

La Luna to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Hey all,

I'm Barbara, I live in upstate NY, but was born and raised in NJ. I work for a large DIY chain store. I am newly single, and have three adult children and one adorable 5 year old granddaughter.

I lost my former mother in law (would be ex mother in law? Not sure about that) to ovarian cancer 13 years ago. A wonderful, vital woman who was the last person I expected to have that happen to. It has stayed with me, it was a terrible ordeal. I just felt like I should try to do something to help.

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-23
Midwest

3 recommendations

poppster to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Hello team,

I'm Justin, 23 years old, originally from Owensboro Kentucky, moved to Robinson Illinois in 1992. I'm a deputy at Crawford County Sheriff's Department, have been for about 6 months. I have an associates degree in Microcomputer Business Systems and General Studies from Lincoln Trail College. I'm happily married to my wife Kasi (22) and we have a VERY spoiled 4 legged fury human named Napolean (rottweiler). Just so you know, HE'S NOT A DOG! And if you call him a dog, you will more than likely hurt his very sensitive feelings.

I fold for Team Helix on 3 computers, and Team Discovery on 1 machine. I fold because we've all had family members and friends pass away from cancer, or struggle with it. I want to help find a cure just as bad as anyone else, so I'm doing my part by folding. Hopefully some day we will find a cure and get rid of these terrible diseases.

WLiley
Woodman
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Grand Blanc, MI

4 recommendations

WLiley to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Woody here, aka Woodman
Soon to be 48 y/o info-sec engineer, living in Michigan.
First 18 yrs started here, next 18 yrs were in Florida.
Been back here now for 11 years, no forseeable change soon.

Mother-in-law is a cancer survivor.
Father-in-law dodge the bullet recently (benign)
At least one Aunt lost to cancer (most relatives passed while I was too young to know/remember why).

Been blessed with great health (bp 120/80, cholesterol within healthy range) despite all my efforts & less than ideal living habits.

to borrow from Descarte - "I crunch, therefore I am"

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

2 edits

4 recommendations

AMDUSER to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Hello everyone:

My name is David. I'm from Wisconsin. I've also lived in MN for about 3 years while working in addition to graduating from St. Paul College not too long ago.
While attending, I majored in a Computer Science related field.

... A cup of cappuccino was a regular occurrence while attending night classes.

I also repair and build computers for friends and family.

The specs of the computer I having crunching can be found below by click on 'My PC' .

Storm72
join:2003-07-03
Bourbonnais, IL

4 recommendations

Storm72 to bbrcat

to bbrcat
Greetings from corn country! My name's Roger. I'm 33 years old and live about an hour south of Chicago with my wife and two sons. My oldest turned 3 this past April 15 (yes, he's a Tax Day baby!), and my youngest is 5 months old. Family and work keep me busy, so I tend to be more of a lurker here. I crunch because of a long history of various types of cancer in my wife's family and my family.

Although I don't post here as much as I'd like, I'm thrilled to be part of Team Discovery. It's great to feel so much a part of something as important as the fantastic work everyone here does day in and day out.
Maggs
Premium Member
join:2002-11-29
Jackson Heights, NY

4 recommendations

Maggs to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Hi, My name is Sean. Most people call me Maggs. I crunch for Team Discovery, I previously crunched for UD on my old (now burnt out Dell Dimension L600CX). So I crunch TSC on my Powerbook G4 17".

In reference to lilhurricane... you can take the woman from NY, but you can't take NY from the woman . You have to see her in NY she's got guts :0).

Lisa pushed me toward crunching for TSC. Thanks Lisa... saving countless CPU cycles from loneliness

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

2 recommendations

signmeuptoo94 to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
Hi, I am signmeuptoo, AKA Bucky. I am a former electrician/wireman/electronics tech/photonics tech/robotics tech (Yeah, I have done a few different things, and will soon do something even different, phew!)

I like to fish, dream of sky diving one day if I get the nerve and my heart can take it, have a wife and son in the Philippines waiting for me.

I live right now in Middle TN but I have lived in sevarl states from the NE to the SW USA. I dream of winning the lottery, just like everyone, so I could go to school & travel the world & create businesses and jobs for Americans.

I used to play lead guitar and have an eclectic taste in music, primarily love jazz fusion and progressive rock. I am a gadget freak and an XM radio fan.

Cooking is another of my hobbies, I probably should have gone to chef school, but I turned it down years ago, just like music school, heh.

I build my own computers and care about DSLR and my fellow members.
13120635 (banned)
Watching in silence
join:2001-01-03
Aurora, CO

3 recommendations

13120635 (banned) to bbrcat

to bbrcat
Didn't I already do this? Heh... Where do I begin?

I'm a geek, self made geek, have you. I have way too many computers at home and my wife tells me about it - there is no way to tell by looking at me. I'm just like any other guy when you look at me except for a few things. I am Wiccan and am very much into my religion. I have a few tattoos and I plan on getting a few more. They are spiritual and mean a lot to me.

I dedicate my computers to this team because I want so badly to find a cure for these deadly diseases. I want so bad to take every one of the computers in the data-center that I work in and install UD. I have four heating up the guest bedroom right now.

BlondeIce603
Premium Member
join:2006-06-07
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

BlondeIce603 to bbrcat

Premium Member

to bbrcat
My name is Adam. I'm 21 years old. I'm a full time undergraduate student (now a senior) and I have several jobs to pay my way through college.

My grandmother died from ovarian cancer, my godfather has prostate cancer, and my uncle and I are colon cancer survivors.

I started crunching for AIDS about a year or so ago, and I've just started crunching for cancer.
Expand your moderator at work