Search similar:

uniqs

LisaGrt
@east.verizon.ne

1 edit

LisaGrt

Anon

Wireless problem-

To anybody: I really don't know much about computers, I have a westell versalink 327W, and a wireless network card (Dell TrueMobile). A neighbor told me he had accessed my wireless network. I know this might sound estupid, but HOW DO YOU SECURE A NETWORK? What do I have to do so others don't use my connection? Thanks in advance..Lisa

Modmove:TO Wireless Security from Westell for more help.

Lanik
Lab-nik

join:2001-06-25
San Francisco, CA

Lanik

Take a look at this and see if it helps: »Wireless Security »General Steps You Can Take

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
MVM
join:2003-02-18
San Jose, CA

Nerdtalker to LisaGrt

MVM

to LisaGrt
The basic part of it revolves around using encryption that requires a PSK (pre-shared key) so other people who don't know it cannot connect to your AP (access point).

Essentially, you'll have to go on your versalink's internal configuration pages at »192.168.1.1 and click on configuration->wireless and configure it to use WPA-PSK. It is here that you'll have to enter your "shared secret", and configure whether you'll be using AES or TKIP encryption (AES is stronger, but your wireless card might not support it, TKIP is just as good).

As far as I know, only certain models of the versalink 327W support WPA. What model is yours?

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to LisaGrt

MVM

to LisaGrt
said by LisaGrt :

To anybody: I really don't know much about computers, I have a westell versalink 327W, and a wireless network card (Dell TrueMobile). A neighbor told me he had accessed my wireless network. I know this might sound estupid, but HOW DO YOU SECURE A NETWORK? What do I have to do so others don't use my connection? Thanks in advance..Lisa

Modmove:TO Wireless Security from Westell for more help.
In general I always suggest...

1. Change the admin password on the wireless access point (WAP) to something other than the default. Use a strong password.
2. Change the default SSID to something other than the default. Use a unique SSID so you can easily identify your network. Do not disable the SSID broadcast. You only cause other issues. Cloaking your SSID is not a valid security measure.
3. Use the strongest encryption possible that is supported by your hardware. WPA2/WPA is recommended but if your hardware only supports WEP use 128-bit WEP at a minimum. In the case of WPA use a 63-character key. Personally I use WPA-PSK (TKIP) with a 63-character key to encrypt my home wireless network.

A WPA key generator...

»www.kurtm.net/wpa-pskgen

A WEP key generator...

»www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/p···skg.html

4. Do not give the key to your neighbors...
5. If your WAP allows for remote admin over the wireless link disable or turn that off. Only administer the WAP via a wired connection.
6. Use a software firewall on your local PCs. Use the XP SP2 Windows Firewall or a third-party firewall like ZoneAlarm to block unauthorized access to your PCs. Personally I use the XP SP2 Windows Firewall on my PCs and setup File & Print Sharing so only specific PCs on my LAN (I use static IPs for desktops) can access each others files and printers.

The real key to all of this is to use as strong encryption as possible on your wireless segment.

You were alreayd given the link to the Wireless Security FAQ, but here it is again...

»Wireless Security »General Steps You Can Take

Also note that I always run the XP SP2 Windows Firewall on my wireless laptop with NO EXCEPTIONS enabled. That way if I am at a public wireless hotspot I am not worried about incoming probes. When I am at home and I need to get a file from one of my home desktops to my laptop I initiate the file transfer from my laptop...