spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DivaDestruct

@sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.n

Broadxent Briteport Modem

After 3 months of frequent disconnections, an overall lousy connection signal, and seemingly serious line problems. Not to mention the worst service ever by SE. I have fixed the problem and SE should do the same for thier customers who pay way too much.

I took that briteport broadjunk garbage and shot it 10 times with my 12 guage. Then i went down to the friendly convienient pc store and got a new $60 modem/router w 4 port switch.

Problem solved!

The tech said he's heard of these useless pieces of shotgun targets. SE gets these for practically nothing and adds a $100 price tag. Clay pidgeons are worth more, trust me.

Speakeasy should supply subscribers with better equipment or at least inform people about better options.

Does anybody need thier broadjunk modems blown to bits?

divdiv4

join:2005-10-15
Tucson, AZ

I agree that these Broadjunk, I mean Broadxent modems aren't the best. I've had one fail on me and they all add about 5 ms of latency compared with a Netopia modem I have. I'm actually thinking about getting a Westell modem and trying to get my speed increased. I've heard many good things about Westell modems getting the most speed out of long and slightly noisy loops like mine.

I also agree that Speakeasy should look into providing their customers with a different modem. However, I think shooting those perfectly good Broadjunk, I mean Broadxent modems is a little harsh. Especially when I could get some money from selling them on eBay.

DivaDestruct

@sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.n

Shooting them up is more fun though. I feel better now that the job is done. The modem i got was an Actiontech
GT704-WG. It was easy to set up and not one sync problem. .:D

Expand your moderator at work

knightmb
Everybody Lies

join:2003-12-01
Franklin, TN
reply to DivaDestruct

Re: Broadxent Briteport Modem

The Broadxent Briteport Modems are only good for customers that have excellent stats (good SN, etc).

Once it goes down to the "marginal" customers, these modems suck big time.

The best modem (proof because I'm using it right now), is my plain old recycled Bellsouth Westell 6100 Modem. I can get my full package speed at SN margins that hover between 1 and 4. I kid you not, my stats are terrible because I'm so far away, but this little modem works so well, I've bought another used one off of e-bay in case this one gets fried by lightning. I also know that the Westell lowered my ping to the Gateway machine! from 30MS to 10MS, that's a big difference to me. Especially since I have rock solid stability even during thunderstorms.

Before my Briteport would drop sync once an hour, for a total of between 24 to 30 times a day. With my old Westell, it keeps a rock solid connection 24/7

Speakeasy should ditch the Briteport guys and start getting Westell 6100 or better, heck the big guys of Bellsouth, Verizon, etc don't use these because they suck, they use them because they just plain freakin work.

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL
reply to DivaDestruct

I would like to add that SE should move back to using Zyxel modems I have one for 4 years now and it's been working ever since recently. But the problem of it's failure is my to blame because I did some tinkering with it. Earthlink gave me this modem and ever since then I used it for many other broadband providers beside bellsouth. Since then I have moved to SE and this modem was operating great. But now I am in the process of getting a Zyxel 660 series dsl/router modem which even supports dsl2+ and it only cost me 75 dollars. Excluding shipping and handling. The broadxent briteport does not even support dsl2+ nor does it contains the administration features a Zyxel has so in my opinion the broadxent is a waste of money. SE should of stayed with Zyxel modems so when they are ready to support higher speeds customers won't need to upgrade there modems or have anything to configure because these modems are configure themselves. Not trying to make sound like Zyxel is the best I just had a few other modems which did not last as long as this one and provided my the reliability like this one when my other one that was sent to me "new" worked worse than the one I had.

Airplane777

join:2004-06-20

4 edits
reply to DivaDestruct

Hi all:

Gee. I just signed up for SE 1.5 Meg / 384 K. Now I notice their prices are higher then other ISPs in my area. Well, I have about 20 days to opt out. Their price is around $55 a month, for the stand alone dsl. I don't know if getting the static IP address is worth all that extra money.

In my area Verizon is offering DSL for about $14.95 a month. I think it is around 768 K.

I have Verizon right at 1.5 Meg / 384 K. Thats about $39.95 on a one year plan. And am using their Westel Wirespeed, model B90 dsl modem.

I just got the SE Broadxent Briteport modem in the mail yesterday. I guess I won't be using that, from what I see you all saying about it.

Do you think my Westel Wirespeed B90 modem will work in place of the Broadxent modem? The Westel is basically a bridging modem, from what I understand. So maybe that will work on most dsl circuits?

Thanks

divdiv4

Tucson, AZ
reply to knightmb

said by knightmb:

I can get my full package speed at SN margins that hover between 1 and 4.
:o I didn't think sync was even possible below 6.
said by »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I check modem stats & event logs? What do the numbers mean? :
6dB is the lowest dB manufactures specify for modem to be able to synch.

When I had 3/384 with Earthlink and was using a Netopia modem, my noise margins were between 8 and 12. Whenever it hit 8 or 9 I lost sync. The Netopia modem couldn't handle that much noise apparently. When I switched to Speakeasy, I signed up for just 1.5/384 not wanting to go through that again. Right now with the Netopia or the Broadxent, my noise margins are a steady 20 at most if not all times.

Speakeasy said my loop length is 10175, which is a lot better than yours. If my loop isn't too noisy care of Qwest's recent work, I should be able to do 3/768 even with one of the modems I have. Although, I doubt I can afford it with Speakeasy's prices.

said by knightmb:

I also know that the Westell lowered my ping to the Gateway machine! from 30MS to 10MS, that's a big difference to me.
:o I doubt that the modem could have that much of an effect on latency.

My ping to the gateway is anywhere from 30 to 36. After some research, I discovered where all that latency comes from. A good deal of it is from the fact that it's about 1000 miles to the Los Angeles POP where my gateway is.

Wireless Router 1 ms / Wired Router 0 ms
Broadxent Modem 5 ms / Netopia Modem 0 ms
Tucson CO 10 ms
Phoenix NAP 10 ms
Los Angeles POP 10 ms
Total 30 ms - 36 ms

For comparison, here is what I had with regards to latency with Earthlink.

Netopia Modem 0 ms
Tucson CO 10 ms
Phoenix POP 10 ms
Total 20 ms - 21 ms

These measurements are my estimates only. The wireless router latency listed is the best case and can in fact be much higher due to interference, collisions, etc. The others are all based on the latency from distance traveled on telephone line, copper and fiber.
--
All I ever wanted to do was play my video games.

divdiv4

Tucson, AZ
reply to Airplane777

said by Airplane777:

Do you think my Westel Wirespeed B90 modem will work in place of the Broadxent modem? The Westel is basically a bridging modem, from what I understand. So maybe that will work on most dsl circuits?
It should just work, but you might have to change the VPI and VCI settings to match the numbers that Covad uses if Verizon doesn't use the same numbers.

You have the »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »Westell InfoSpeeed Modem, right? That modem is locked down by Verizon. I would just see if it works first because you can't change anything without using the »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »White Westell Firmware.
--

easymoney862

join:2002-06-08
Dallas, TX
reply to DivaDestruct

I agree on the Broadxent modems. Speakeasy had sent me one, and it kept losing connection. So I bought the Westell 6100 off Ebay. Much better connection, it's faster also.

drmorley
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-20
Park Ridge, IL

said by easymoney862:

I agree on the Broadxent modems. Speakeasy had sent me one, and it kept losing connection. So I bought the Westell 6100 off Ebay. Much better connection, it's faster also.
The Broadxent modems aren't bad, but the Westell 6100 model does a much better job with marginal circuits.

knightmb
Everybody Lies

join:2003-12-01
Franklin, TN

1 edit
reply to divdiv4

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by divdiv4:

said by knightmb:

I can get my full package speed at SN margins that hover between 1 and 4.
:o I didn't think sync was even possible below 6.
said by »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I check modem stats & event logs? What do the numbers mean? :
6dB is the lowest dB manufactures specify for modem to be able to synch.

When I had 3/384 with Earthlink and was using a Netopia modem, my noise margins were between 8 and 12. Whenever it hit 8 or 9 I lost sync. The Netopia modem couldn't handle that much noise apparently. When I switched to Speakeasy, I signed up for just 1.5/384 not wanting to go through that again. Right now with the Netopia or the Broadxent, my noise margins are a steady 20 at most if not all times.

Speakeasy said my loop length is 10175, which is a lot better than yours. If my loop isn't too noisy care of Qwest's recent work, I should be able to do 3/768 even with one of the modems I have. Although, I doubt I can afford it with Speakeasy's prices.

said by knightmb:

I also know that the Westell lowered my ping to the Gateway machine! from 30MS to 10MS, that's a big difference to me.
:o I doubt that the modem could have that much of an effect on latency.

My ping to the gateway is anywhere from 30 to 36. After some research, I discovered where all that latency comes from. A good deal of it is from the fact that it's about 1000 miles to the Los Angeles POP where my gateway is.

Broadxent Modem 5 ms / Netopia Modem 0 ms
Tucson CO 10 ms
Phoenix NAP 10 ms
Los Angeles POP 10 ms
Total 30 ms - 36 ms

For comparison, here is what I had with regards to latency with Earthlink.

Netopia Modem 0 ms
Tucson CO 10 ms
Phoenix POP 10 ms
Total 20 ms - 21 ms

These measurements are my estimates only. The wireless router latency listed is the best case and can in fact be much higher due to interference, collisions, etc. The others are all based on the latency from distance traveled on telephone line, copper and fiber.
SN 0 is sync lose, from what the DSL techs tell me anyway. I can capture a screenshot when it's low and attach it here, but it doesn't always stay that low keep that in mind. My norm is usually about 5 or 6, seems to work OK like that. Right now I have the 3.0/768 One Link Package (the one link may help with the bad SN).

Basically I'm 16,000 feet from the CO and while I don't get the full 3.0 MB for download, I get close. My theory is, when the SN gets dangerously low, the Westell will reduce the speed in hopes of getting better SN stats. Basically, if I run a speed test and at the same time watch the SN info page (keep refreshing it). The SN will reflect my maximum download speed. When hits the low number like what I have in the screenshot, the speeds will drop to about 1.7 MB or so, but once they get better, it jumps back to the 2.5 MB and higher area using the »speakeasy.net/speedtest/ website over and over.

SN gets really bad, but the modem never drops sync and I never notice a problem while on VoIP calls when SN gets really bad.

Also, as for ping times, I found out my Briteport was on Interleave, thus explains the really high ping times. My Westell can run the fast path at terrible SN just fine, LOL.

Airplane777

1 edit
reply to drmorley

Hi drmorley:

I also got a Bradxent modem for a Speakeasy DSL line that was just installed. I also have a Westel B90-210015-14 DSL modem.

Both work on my Speakeasy line, but the speeds are the same for both.

I also have a Verizon DSL line installed. Both the Verizon and Speakkeasy lines are 1.5 M / 384 K lines. However, Speakeasy gives me speeds around 1.2 Meg / 270 K while Verizon gives me around 1.45 M / 370 K most of the time.

I don't know what's wrong with the Speakeasy line. I called Speakeasy and they gave me the speach that there is some kind of overhead that takes up some of the throughput. Well Verizon has overhead too, and I get considereably faster throughput with Verizon DSL.

Speakeasy costs about $25 more a month and gives me a slower connection. Although I do get a static IP address.

I hope Speakeasy gets its act together and tweeks things up before the first 25 days. If they can't get it at least as fast as Verizon, I might drop it before the 25 day trial period is over. Heck Speakeasy is using Verizon lines anyway.

drmorley
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-20
Park Ridge, IL

said by Airplane777:

Hi drmorley:

I also got a Bradxent modem for a Speakeasy DSL line that was just installed. I also have a Westel B90-210015-14 DSL modem.

Both work on my Speakeasy line, but the speeds are the same for both.

I also have a Verizon DSL line installed. Both the Verizon and Speakkeasy lines are 1.5 M / 384 K lines. However, Speakeasy gives me speeds around 1.2 Meg / 270 K while Verizon gives me around 1.45 M / 370 K most of the time.

I don't know what's wrong with the Speakeasy line. I called Speakeasy and they gave me the speach that there is some kind of overhead that takes up some of the throughput. Well Verizon has overhead too, and I get considereably faster throughput with Verizon DSL.
Verizon is giving you higher speeds because they sync your line up at a higher speed to account for the ATM overhead.

Your Speakeasy DSL line is working like it should. Speakeasy advertises sync speeds not throughput, hence so long as your modem is synced up at 1.5/384 with Speakeasy then you're getting the service you order. Verizon bumps their sync speed up to account for the 10%-13% reduction in throughput due to ATM overhead.

FWIW, Verizon is one of the only ISPs that does this.

Airplane777

Hi drmorley:

Thanks for the info on the Speakeasy speeds.

Looks like Verizon is not only $20 per month less expensive, but gives me higher throughput too.

I understand you explanation, but SE has to look at what the lower value they are giving to the customer. That probably explains why I have never heard of anyone in my area buying SE DSL.

I hope I can get them to sync it up a little higher so I can equal what I have with Verizon. If they can, then I'll drop Verizon.

I do like SE giving me a static IP address. Thats about the only perk with SE. If SE can at least give me the same throughput speed, then I'll be happy...and keep SE.

I wonder if Verizon can sell me a static IP when I have a residential DSL line? I'll have to check into that.

divdiv4

Tucson, AZ
reply to knightmb

said by knightmb:

My theory is, when the SN gets dangerously low, the Westell will reduce the speed in hopes of getting better SN stats. SN gets really bad, but the modem never drops sync and I never notice a problem while on VoIP calls when SN gets really bad.
That is really cool!

I'll definitely be getting one if I ever upgrade my speeds.
--

divdiv4

Tucson, AZ
reply to Airplane777

said by Airplane777:

I understand you explanation, but SE has to look at what the lower value they are giving to the customer.
As drmorley said, all ISPs do this and Verizon is the only exception I've ever seen. What Verizon is doing is not the norm. What Verizon is doing isn't right. In my opinion, it is annoying, confusing and deceptive. It puts them on a different page than every other DSL provider and is just as bad as Qwest's practice of mandatory interleave. You signed up for a certain sync speed and Speakeasy has delivered it. Thus, you really don't have a problem or even a real complaint.

said by Airplane777:

I hope I can get them to sync it up a little higher so I can equal what I have with Verizon. If they can, then I'll drop Verizon.
They can't and they won't and neither will any other ISP. You signed up for a certain sync speed and you have it. If you want a higher sync speed, you should have signed up for a higher sync speed. If you like what Verizon is doing, I suggest you go with Verizon as nobody else is going to do it.
--

pdaudio84

join:2003-07-07
Greensboro, NC
reply to DivaDestruct

I've got two of these Broadxent brideport modems, and yes, they do suck! I'm into audio production, so yes, I'd like to blow them to bits and make a nice binaural recording of it, or something. Perhaps I'll do that one of these days. I'm using a Westell Wirespeed 2100 modem now, and it's rock solid, unlike the broadxent stuff.

Airplane777

4 edits
reply to divdiv4

Thing is though, when anyone calls up SE sales, you aren't going to hear them say it's 1.5 Mb sync speed. They just sayt 1.5 Mb.

I don't think its wrong at all that Verizon is delivering what they say. As far as I'm concerned, throughput is the receiveable that I signed up for, not the sync speed. I could care less what their overhead is. And Verizon was charging me about $25 less a month (compared to Verizon's yearly plan).

And SE DSL modem (the Booadextent), has gone down about 20 times in the last week and a half. I don't know if it is the line or the modem. It's so intermittant, it isn't down by the time I called in to support.

Other DSL companies could do the same thing if they want to be more competitive quality wise with Verizon's delivered speed.

divdiv4

Tucson, AZ

said by Airplane777:

As far as I'm concerned, throughput is the receiveable that I signed up for, not the sync speed.
The following is what you agreed to when you signed up for service with Speakeasy. If this is not satisfactory, I suggest you look for a different provider.

said by Speakeasy :

Your connection is not guaranteed in any way, however you should contact us if speeds are consistently below 70% advertised speed type.
said by Airplane777:

And SE DSL modem (the Booadextent), has gone down about 20 times in the last week and a half. I don't know if it is the line or the modem. It's so intermittant, it isn't down by the time I called in to support.
That is not a problem with the modem, but a problem with the line. You should call Speakeasy and ask them to test your line. The »Speakeasy Forum FAQ has helpful information you can use to troubleshoot your problem.
--

Airplane777

3 edits

Hi divdiv:

When I called SE support, it went back up by the time the support guy came on.

Since yesterday, it has been pretty stable.

I know what the "wording" says in the SE agreement. I'm just pointing out what is actually happening in practice.

The "wording" tries to reason away why SE isn't up to a certain speed. VZ probably has something like that also, that would also "reason away" why they aren't able to give me 1.5 Mb. Most ISPs do.

I'm just saying in my particular case, with VZ at my location, that VZ is veeery close to the speed that they say I signed up for.

The only reason I can think of that SE might be lower, is that VZ might have allocated smaller and older wiring to non VZ ISP companies. That could make the speed lower too, since it would give a smaller signal to noise ratio for the non VZ companies, and thus lower speed. A local telco guy that works with dsl told me that.

There may be other reasons why the speed is lower also. Since someone pointed out that VZ may be syncing the speed a little higher then 1.5 Mb, so that I actually get a throughput close to 1.5 Mb in actual practice. I like that.

There are other reasons I got SE however. If the line stops going down, I can live with 1.2 Mb.

divdiv4

Tucson, AZ

said by Airplane777:

Since someone pointed out that VZ may be syncing the speed a little higher then 1.5 Mb, so that I actually get a throughput close to 1.5 Mb in actual practice.
Verizon is syncing the speed a little higher than 1.5 Mbps. That is the only reason why Verizon gave you an actual speed of 1.5 Mbps instead of 1.2 Mbps. This practice is Verizon's alone and is widely documented on this website.
--

Airplane777

reply to DivaDestruct

I will say though, that SE is giving me a very solid 1.28 Mb very consistently.

And the link hasn't gone down (that I know of) since the last time. I think that was a couple days ago.

jayuph

join:2004-08-27
Atlanta, GA
reply to knightmb

said by knightmb:

The best modem (proof because I'm using it right now), is my plain old recycled Bellsouth Westell 6100 Modem.
Are there any problems associated with using a Bellsouth Westell 6100 with other providers? Like do you have to hack the modem to unlock it for other providers? I may look into buying one of these on Ebay.

Thanks,
Jeff

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA
reply to DivaDestruct

Dunno bout your experience, but, when I joined SE at my current home, I was furnished with a Xyzel. The first one lasted four months before I could get SpeakEasy to convince Covad to replace it. I was furnished another Xyzel. This one lasted a little over 18 months. Eventually, I replaced it with a BroadXent router-MODEM with the built in 4-port switch. It's been going decently since I put it in place. The only line issues I've had, since then, is that it appears that the Woodrow Wilson Bridge replacement project has increased my loop length by a third (and slowed my speeds by nearly the same amount). But, that's hardly an issue with the Briteport.

Guess it's a "your mileage may vary" kind of deal.

-tom
--
"Some people have morals, standards and ideals about quality, but I'm an American: I couldn't care less." --Tony Pierce (paraphrased)

divdiv4

Tucson, AZ
reply to jayuph

said by jayuph:

Are there any problems associated with using a Bellsouth Westell 6100 with other providers? Like do you have to hack the modem to unlock it for other providers?
»Using a recycled Westell 6100 with Speakeasy DSL
--

jayuph

join:2004-08-27
Atlanta, GA

Thanks!
--
Jeff

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

reply to divdiv4

said by divdiv4:

What Verizon is doing is not the norm. What Verizon is doing isn't right. In my opinion, it is annoying, confusing and deceptive. It puts them on a different page than every other DSL provider and is just as bad as Qwest's practice of mandatory interleave.
While generally agreed with all your other past points, I strongly disagree with this one. Verizon, for once, is doing the RIGHT thing and EVERY OTHER DSL provider should do it too.

It's a small portion of the over DSL user population who is going to accept this BS 'overhead' argument. Like Airplane777, the advertised speeds do not in any way suggest you won't actually be seeing those speeds. Burying the 70% qualifier in the TOS is pretty lame.

All DSL providers should over-provision their lines so customers will see at least close to the advertised speeds. Not doing so is just as deceptive as not including taxes and other fees in their advertised monthly cost.

Overall, think of the general user - they sign up for SE's service for an expected cost for an expected speed. When all is done, they're actually paying MORE (+taxes) for LESS speed than they expected.
That doesn't generally make for a happy customer, including myself. However, I stick with SE because I dislike the VZ monopoly much more and SE delivers good service overall.
KM

divdiv4

Tucson, AZ

3 edits

This is already being debated again in »Covad provisioning with little to no overhead? and for what it's worth I'm with borborpa See Profile.

said by borborpa:

Why cater and pander to those who don't understand technology by placating them with a slightly faster connection, just so when they run a speed test they see a number to make them happy?
Especially since doing so will not result in a noticeable speed increase for them anyway.
said by mhy8:

As a matter of practicality, I doubt one would ever notice the difference between 1530 and 1250 except during long downloads or speed tests. With normal surfing, I expect the difference to be very small.
said by KoolMoe:

It's a small portion of the over DSL user population who is going to accept this BS 'overhead' argument.
If they have already used dial up, they should know all about overhead because they couldn't get 56 kbps even when that was what was advertised. Overhead is far from bullshit and exists in everything else they use. People can bitch and moan all day about how they feel they are being cheated out of a couple of dollars here or a couple of kbps here, but it's not going to do a damn thing. If they feel that they have suffered some gross injustice at the hands of Speakeasy or any other Covad DSL provider for that matter, seeing as how they all operate this way, I suggest they take it up with them.
--

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

It is deceptive to state a speed and price then not actually deliver the speed nor the price. General users may be aware of 'overhead' from dialup experience but the whole broadband thing is an exciting concept and it's lame to be disappointed from the start.
Much less, as surely you know, dialup is just physically limited at its top speed - it can't be over-provisioned. DSL ISPs certainly have a lot more flexibility in that regard.

To state a speed then say it's a sync speed is BS. Were it possible on DSL, what would stop them from advertising a 50mb connection and delivering 5.0/512? "Well, that 50mb is 'sync speed' but your actual throughput will only be 10% of that."
Yeah, that would fly.

When I buy a gallon of milk, I don't get charged tax and it's a full gallon, not 70% of a gallon. Not really an applicable analogy...but the point is, unless the line just won't support it, there's no reason DSL providers CAN'T provide the extra speed. Why don't they? As you say, overall it's not that big an increase, so why do they limit in the first place?

For me, it kinda matters. I go with SE due to good service and good TOS. But working in multimedia I move large files often. The quicker that happens, the better. No other affordable (and SE is on the border of affordable) broadband service offers what I need - I can't switch. I just wish SE would take that one further step to being the geek-friendly ISP and overprovision. A small price for another big selling point.
KM
--
Lake George Poetry