Search similar:

uniqs
tsu3000
join:2003-08-14
EU

tsu3000

802.11 Authentication tab greyed out

Hello

I've just set up WPA-PSK/TKIP on my wireless setup and noticed that the Win XP SP2 authentication tab for the wireless network is greyed out which make its impossible to set up 802.11 authentication. Is this normal?

Also the Win XP wireless status shows that my connection is "unsecured" even when the management software for the wireless NIC (Intel PROSet) shows that it is using WPA-PSK/TKIP. Confused.

Hardware/Software details:
Wireless router: Linksys WRT54GS
Laptop: Toshiba M100 Portege
Windows XP SP2

Thanks in advanced.

Tim

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

Did you try using Intel PROSet config util rather than MS client?
»support.intel.com/suppor ··· sist.htm

Cudni
tsu3000
EU

tsu3000

Yes I am using the Intel PROset config tool to set up the wireless on the laptop. I'm just a bit confused as to why the Win XP says the link is not secure when the PROset says it is. Which util is correct? Instinct tells me to trust the PROset until rather than XP

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

This rang a bell with me -- I've never experienced it myself... but maybe these are related...

»Ouch! Security problem in linksys routers
»secured but unsecured??? Help
»Connecting unsecured?
tsu3000
EU

1 recommendation

tsu3000

Hey funchords

Thanks for the links. This is exactly what I am experiencing. It does look like a bug. On my laptop (Toshiba M100 Portege) the problem exists. But on my other laptop (Compaq/HP Evo N610C) the problem does not exist, ie the taskbar wireless balloon popup does not say "unsecured". Weird.

My WRT54GS is quite new (few weeks) and not sure if a newer firmware update has fixed the prob.

Tim