Flyingphotog
MVM
join:2001-08-26
Fairfax, CA

SurfTheSky to signmeuptoo94

MVM

to signmeuptoo94

Re: my ipod photo won't turn off!

That's a pretty blanket statement. They manufacture more mp3 players than any other company, so there are bound to be problems. You just hear about them because there's a larger number of errors, with production being so massive and all.

It's widely accepted in Psychology that people usually don't provide feedback/reviews/opinion unless it's bad.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

They are about 60% of the market, IIRC (though I don't have current stats, admittedly), but they are 98% of the problems reported on this site alone. In fact, I have only seen 2 or 3 posts about minor to major problems with other branded players here at DSLR.

Now, for sure, this is just DSLR, but hell, even Cowon has their own forum for owners of their product (who else does that, you tell me???) and I see very little problems reported on their website, though there are indeed some.

I think that it is fair to say that the iPods are shoddy, it is my honest and carefully considered opinion from all of my online activity and inspection of the product, and, after all, I *am* an iPod owner, though I wish I had something else...

DeeC
Premium Member
join:2000-09-01
the world

1 edit

DeeC

Premium Member

There are MORE ipod owners than Cowon, iRiver, Sandisk and Creative, so thus, by common sense, you are going to have more problems since there are millions, millions more ipods and ipod owners out there.......

And to think about it, DSLR doesn't have that many complaints....a few in here , and 1 or 2 in the ATM forum......but that's it...... out of how many ipod owners world wide? Like 35-40 million? These few, or hundered, or even thousands out of 40MIL are nothing......

Most of them are becaue people DO NOT READ the manual on how to reset the device, or likely didn't read their Bose or Sound dock to know that it can't be turned off while in the dock....... believe me, so many of the problems are just because people refuse to read anything.
DeeC

DeeC to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
signmuptoo, again, I'll buy your "shoddy" ipod that you spend 99% of your time complaining about just to get you to move on to another.....geeze.....

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Sure. And I would sell it to you, but now my wife overseas wants it!!! She thinks it's cool, heh.

Don't get me wrong. I love my iPod, I just think that Apple should be doing a better job. At least mine is made in an aluminum chassis, that was a great step in the right direction on one aspect.

That's one of the reasons that I like the Cowon, it also is made with Aluminum, rather than plastic.

Also, I grant you that most of the problems are because peeps don't RTFM, which I too find annoying, but it is normal. Peeps don't like having to pour over hour to hours of information to attempt to solve a problem, and most of the peeps that post in DSLR are that type of person. Many don't even have the wisdom to realize that they can do this, and they have more trust in the members here that some impersonal instructions to help them.

This is not to say that you are wrong, just that human nature will always prevail, and any wise person has to take that into account.

No offense taken, aliasrlz. You guys are right in many ways, I just want to see Apple ramp up the quality more, and I also want to see them open up the iPods' database system so that it is easy (if someone WANTS to do it) not have to use an iTunes database type install system, but that they can make the iPod work independant of it. I would like the iPods a lot better if they did!

Sorry, but I personally don't think I am asking too much, because only a moderate percentage of people would take advantage of that, but those people would be very happy instead of angry. Since most folks like iTunes, Apple wouldn't be threatened, and Steve needs to realize that.

Hell, even IBM realize that opening up their standard would help them stay in business in the long run, and it worked. Otherwise, we wouldn't have our cheap PCs as we know it today...

Stewart D
@cox.net

Stewart D

Anon

I just started having this same problem. Can't turn off my 30GB video. Resetting it isn't helping. I've reset it 5 times already within the last hour with no luck. I must put it in the Bose Sound Dock and turn it off with the remote.

DeeC
Premium Member
the world

DeeC to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
People use ipods without iTunes ALL THE TIME.... Ephpod, Copypod, Ipod Explorer, etc.... there are tons of third party software products to use to do the same things as iTunes.......

Again, no one even bothers to take the 2 nano seconds to look it upon Google or Yahoo..... People want to complain because they are too dumb or lazy to do a tiny bit of research, that's all.......

goodluck.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I know that. But, friend, those programs often don't work right. For some reason, I can't get Ephpod to work right with my iPod. Wouldn't it be nicer if you just didn't need such programs?

Also, I have had problems getting the programs that work in Linux to work right. Sometimes I have to totally redo the iPod by rebuilding it. And I can't use Ephpod in Windows and gtkpod in Linux at the same time (I don't mean simultaniously, but that I can't use Ephpod without it making gtkpod not work for some reason, some issue with the iPod database.

All your statements are true, but so are mine. That is our middle ground, neither of us are wrong. I just find that using the iPod to be a PITA. It will be quite a while before I can afford it, but I will get a Cowon.

In any event, now that I have XM radio, I use my iPod less.

Stewart D
@cox.net

Stewart D

Anon

I also just noticed that now that I'm having this problem the iPod also isn't playing correctly in my Bose Sound Dock. Only the left speaker is working while the right speaker makes a squeking sound.

I know that it's not the Bose doc because my girlfriend's iPod works fine in it.

I'm gonna let the battery drain down all the way. Hopefully, all will be well when I bring it back up.

DeeC
Premium Member
the world

DeeC to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
The ipod wasn't designed for Linux..... anytime you take a product and try to make it into something it wasn't designed for, EXPECT PROBLEMS....... just don't complain when they happen .....

Like buying a car and expecting it to fly .......

Weird, I have a 3G ipod, older than your mini..... use with it iTunes and Copypod ....no issues. The only time I even remotely had a problem was when I didn't update the firmware on the 3G or update iTunes..... no other time (knock, knock on wood) ....:)

I'll wait until Sirius is intergrated into the ipod ...instead of having yet another portable something to carry around....:p

Rossifumi
@charter.com

Rossifumi to DeeC

Anon

to DeeC
quote:
Most of them are becaue people DO NOT READ the manual on how to reset the device, or likely didn't read their Bose or Sound dock to know that it can't be turned off while in the dock....... believe me, so many of the problems are just because people refuse to read anything.
You must not read so good yerself there missy, since if you did you'd know that you CAN turn off your iPod while it's in the Bose sound dock. Amazingly enough, there's actually an OFF button for the Bose sound dock (on the remote), which you'd also know if you had read the first page of posts in this thread.

I love it when people try to generalize in a condescending manner and put their lack of intelligence on display in the process.

To add to this topic, I just had my iPod Nano refuse to shut off all day today at work, after it had been on my Bose sound dock all night. This is the first time thsi has happened, and I've just started leaving it on the sound dock overnight.

I am currently updating mine and charging it on my laptop. I thank you for this thread, having found it with a Google search.

I own a shuffle and a nano and I don't ever remember readign about resetting the iPod in either of the instruction booklets that came along with them. Hell, the nano instruction booklet was basically non-existent.